Write about your Round

@HennyPenny Since I joined 2.5yrs ago I have seen goats, a deer, snakes, a fox, and too many rabbits. Koalas sometimes walk across the tee when you are about to hit. The noisiest person on the course is the sulfur crested cockatoo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERYamZkj_xQ. You wouldn’t get me on a plane either. Hope the weather improves so you can squeeze in another round :slightly_smiling_face:

Best ball striking round I’ve had since joining the new club, hit every Par 3 in regulation and a bunch of decent-to-good irons. Unfortunately, the honeymoon of playing the course’s version of “slow” greens (only rolling 9-10) after being punched is over and now they are a slick 12+. 35 putts and it honestly could have been more. Walked the 18 in 2:30.

2 Likes

Shot an 88 today! Second time ever breaking 90 and first time after getting back into golf last month.

Shoutout to my Skillest coach Travis who’s swing feedback has helped my long game a ton.

Also, I bought @Adamyounggolf Strike and Accuracy plan and it has changed my world when it comes to understanding my ball striking and ball flights. I can’t recommend them enough.

Lastly, this forum and the blog have been a huge help. It’s this only golf forum I visit and I’ve picked up a lot of useful tips from the people on here. It’s a great addition to the already amazingly helpful blog posts on the PG site.

10 Likes

Ayyy way to play!! Glad to hear everything is coming together. Just gonna get better and better.

1 Like

Amazing - congrats! Glad to hear stories like these :smiley:

2 Likes

I played yesterday morning for the first time in about three weeks, which is a long layoff for me. The weather was absolutely perfect (about 60 degrees in the morning), and I got to play a course I’ve wanted to try out for a few years.

It doesn’t happen too often, but my swing was truly “in the zone” - particularly with my irons. I don’t think I missed the sweet spot more than twice all day and had about 6-7 approach shots within 8 feet of the pin (they were smart targets :wink:). It felt like I was conducting a symphony with my irons - total control of distance and trajectory. I really think it’s the best ball-striking I’ve ever had.

Most importantly, being out on the course was a much-needed break from all of the drama our country is going through this week. As @CoryO mentioned, on another thread, golf is such a special way to take a break from reality. This year is a reminder of just how important it is to me. I often tell my wife I would’ve lost my mind if it weren’t for golf and this website in 2020. I think it’s been a real challenge for everyone, but I still believe better days are ahead! Cheers to this game.

6 Likes

Heck yeah! That is so amazing @jon. Thank you for sharing with us so we can re-live that happiness with you.

Played my first nine holes since I hurt my back (beginning of August)… It was nice?

Played by myself on a frost delay day, so it was cold and I haven’t swung a club full since August… It went OK! Focused on trying to hit the middle of the green, had some good shots… had 2 bad three putts (opening hole was fine, one downhill putt was just brain dead)… had a nice birdie I completely credit the DECADE system for… aimed for the middle of the green, left it 10 yards short, and had 6 feet to the pin!! Had another good miss on another hole… and one dumb miss on 9 where I put it into the bunker that shouldn’t have been on my line but I’m still learning the whole “middle of the green” strategy.

3 Likes

Take it easy with your back man.

1 Like

I played today for the first time in five or so weeks. Little chilly around 50 with probably a 10 mph wind from the south. I found another gear with my driver I’ve been searching for and absolutely smashed it all day. I hit 12/14 fairways and probably legitimately averaged 325 off the tee all day. Tee shot on 10 went 357 (according to GPS) with wind from my 5 o’clock. Not quite Bryson numbers, but a pretty solid poke for me.
My wedge play was a little suspect, but that tends to be what rusts the most when I have a layoff. Had I hit better approaches with the “scoring” clubs I could have gone pretty low.
I putted really well with my new EVNRoll. I’ve never felt so comfortable with a putter in my life.
All in all a two-under 70 I was very happy with.

Honestly, it could have been a 90 and I would have been just as happy. Felt really good to get out. Here’s hoping for some more unseasonably warm days ahead.

6 Likes

Played 18 this morning, went home and watched the Masters, and was inspired to squeeze in another 9. Ball-striking has come back around where I feel like I’m not really trying to hit the ball, but just swinging and letting the ball get in the way. Especially in my nine this afternoon, I just played without paying much attention and was pleasantly surprised that it was a 37 in the end.

Also set to play again first thing in the morning (wife has the kids on a no-husbands camping trip with a couple friends).

4 Likes

Another decent round this morning outside of a couple of the par 3’s. Managed to birdie a nemesis hole for the first time though, so everything else was gravy:

(Very downhill on the drive BTW)

2 Likes

Boss invited me out. Took four Advil and some muscle relaxers (double Tito’s and soda).

Shot 79 with a triple on 18. Just lost focus as we had closed out our match on 17. Hit a 3w OB when I could have just gone 5i wedge to almost guarantee bogey. Se la vie

Played par 5’s 5 over :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Think I may have figured out the new driver after good days with it Friday and today!

-1.24 SG OTT today compared to tour and if you take out the OB ball with a 3 wood it was a .76!! Was -.76 on Friday. Hope the streak continues

Gained 1.2 putting and didn’t make anything over 15 feet, think longest make was 12 feet.

Felt good going under par for first time in a long time.

1 Like

I played 2 balls at once today teeing of at 1700 and finishing at 2010 (sunset 2001) The first ball shot 87 with 4 pars and a chip in birdie and the 2nd ball shot 87 with 5 pars. Not quite to my handicap(need to shoot 85) but any round with a 8 in front of it is a good round. Had four 3putt bogeys and had to chip out sideways after a few wayward drives but no round is perfect.

1 Like

Played yesterday in the cold and wind and shot an 85, but of course I wasn’t thrilled lol. I 3-jacked 2 tough par 3’s and missed a couple of short putts. Greens were slower than usual and aerated earlier in the week so I had an excuse, but my putting just sucked. Too bad as I hit the ball really solid. Not trying to hit any fades, I just went with the high draw.

I found some old but unused Z Star X balls from probably 5-7 years ago in my basement and played those. Honestly seemed as good as anything else I’ve played recently. Maybe my hands were too cold to notice a difference lol. I actually used some toe warmers in my shoes and they are awesome lol. Hopefully get another round in next weekend.

1 Like

I have a big box of TaylorMade Penta TP3s I keep on meaning to put into play. They were already four years old when I got them and now I’ve had them another four.

2 Likes

I found some out rocketballz I got from a member guest in 2013… I liked those balls!

My favorite ball of all time (for no real reason) was the maxfli revolution… it was liquid filled!

Yeah I found a few sleeves of the old Z Star X along with some Penta TP Reds, Lethal, TP3, TP5, Hex Black, et al. It was a treasure trove of old but new balls!

1 Like

Went out again at 1700 today and after a double at the first had 6p 3bi 7b 1d 1t for a 79 my best ever score(par 70) Pitched in on 13 the same hole I chipped in yesterday. Could have been better if I hadn’t shanked a ball ob on the last.

2 Likes