Golf is a Release

I think the majority of us on the forum are American, so regardless of which side of any aisle you’re on, it’s a pretty stressful mood around the country. Even in the rest of the world, with a pandemic still happening, it’s not completely clear sailing either.
All that aside. I just wanted to recognize how thankful I am to have something like golf in my life, a place I can go to have a clear goal and focus, letting everything else fade away (at least temporarily). I think this is a good reminder that as frustrating as the game can be, being out there on the course is much better than being off of it. Since none of us are out there playing to make a living (at least as far as I can tell), taking a step back and letting golf be the release it should be can really help our wellbeing. I hope everyone can get out there and play some golf this week.
(yes, I played golf this morning and yes I played well. That may have influenced my mood on the post, but the point still stands!)

12 Likes

I agree and looking forward to teeing it up this weekend. I might even sneak out to the range Friday since I didn’t touch a club last week.

This year has been stressful for many reasons. I have keep reminding myself that I am so lucky that I GET to play golf no matter what the score. I am healthy enough to play, have enough money to play, etc. The weather is also warming up and it’s Nov! I hope to shoot some good scores, but if not that won’t keep me from having fun.

3 Likes

You’re completely right and I miss it and need it. Not necessarily from election stress, but I recently started a new job and remote on boarding is one of the most frustrating things I’ve experienced in my professional life. It’s why I’ve been pretty absent from here. I haven’t touched a club aside from a couple swings in my garage (my SC300 was sadly defective, so I’m in the process of getting a replacement).
I got a putter fitting this last Saturday and that was a nice distraction…but I’m struggling this year more than I have in previous years in regard to not playing. I feel like I need it now more than ever, but life gets in the way and the game is as far away from me as it’s ever been.
Not really in a great place right now. Sorry for the TMI.

3 Likes

@Bigdadenergy - stick at it there fella, you’ll be back on it before you know it. A problem shared is a problem halved. I’m hitting the range tonight. Last time for at least a month as the UK gov shuts down England. Bad time to embark on DECADE but that’s a real first world problem in the scheme of things. Stay well and keep up the PG forum contact - I enjoy your posts :smiley:

4 Likes

I can feel that. My main role is the facilitating the company-wide new employee onboarding. It’s a really great program, but turning it remote on the fly back in March was tough. For organizations that didn’t already have the resources needed for successful onboarding (and that’s most companies IMO), I can’t imagine how difficult the experience must be.

2 Likes

It is nice to read a positive note in the midst of the crazy happenings of the world.

I am lucky to have my job, my wife is not so lucky to have lost most of her income.

My kids are lucky to have their friends, albeit remote.

Schooling is not easy for the young ones right now. Socially or functionally. I never thought there would be a day that YouTube videos of adding and subtracting fractions for instance would be the main resource for them. My poor wife trying to raise 2 very young ones, teach the two grade school boys/answer their questions, and help take care of her 90 year old grandpa. It is just taxing and out of the norm.

I am glad to have golf as an outlet and with the weather turning its going to be a long winter. I have signed up for a couple indoor sessions a month for something to look forward to. It is tough right now but if you have something as an outlet then do your best to make it happen. It will help the soul.

2 Likes

I have a ton of experience in my field and I feel like a C- 3rd grader that just got stuck in graduate level courses. It’s insanity.

2 Likes

There are so many worse places to be than on a golf course. I’m so thankful that I can play golf, that I am healthy enough to play and have the means to play. Golf is such a challenge and a source of much joy in life. In the grand scheme of things golf worries are first world problems.

2 Likes

I agree that golf can be a sanctuary in times of trouble - like this whole damn year has been. It’s nice to change your mindset, just for a little while, plus breath some fresh air and take in some pretty fall scenery.

We all need this!

3 Likes

Golf is crucial for my mental health! I feel so lucky that our pastime has been available to us during the pandemic. The equivalent for my wife is hot yoga, and she hasn’t been able to do it at all in the pandemic (I know, there are way bigger problems out there, but I do think it’s important to have hobbies and get to be able to do them in stressful times). I honestly don’t know how I’d be holding up right now if I couldn’t go golf. I need it so bad, I get like crazy excited and relaxed and calm on my way to the course just to hit some balls or practice chipping and putting. I’m probably a little too dependent on it and need to figure out how to be okay without it, if need be! But, in short, I freaking love golf so much and need it big time!

3 Likes

With the pandemic golf has been my biggest stress relief and to take my mind off of things the last 6 months.

2 Likes

Agree 100%! It’s SO nice to forget Covid and the elections, and enjoy a round, in the fresh air and beautiful landscape! (Even with the leaves on it, LOL) Good for my mental health. I picture all my worries packed into that golf ball, and give it a smack!

5 Likes

I think that I was taking golf for granted. Started working from home mid-March as did wife and blessed with limited stress. In Oregon course only closed for 1 week so I have been able to play a ton so was feeling privileged that my life was really pretty good.
Then my Dad died 2 weeks ago and I crawled to golf in order to help me processes his death and how far we’d grown a part due to politics and religion. The weather turned out to be great and I played everyday as a single for six days in a row and used that time to go through a list of emotions and thoughts. Golf helped me get to a spot, at least for now, where I can move forward.

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss, but I’m glad that golf gave you the space to process things. Definitely things much more important than a score can happen out on the course.

2 Likes