What's out of your bag?

If I had to guess… I’d guess that RBZ hybrids and woods are among the most common … dare I say … older clubs out there. But ya know if it’s the right tool for the job…!

1 Like

My guess (hah doing a lot of guessing today :crazy_face:) is the shaft - Tensei Orange - was wrong for the guys who had grabbed it off the rack. I know it’s wrong for me simply because I’m an average recreational player and that shaft is used by Tour Pros…

1 Like

I’m still gaming an Adams Hybrid… Idea Pro 18 degree. It does exactly what I need it to do, but could use a slightly less stiff shaft… fortunately, that seems to only rob me of some distance and give me some control.

1 Like

Adams is solid gear. :+1:

You may have heard of a process called “stepping” a shaft? You (or a club builder - I for one can’t do this kinda stuff) can soft-step the shaft and it may come out to just what you want (or - you may not want to mess with a good thing!).

1 Like

First on the chopping block this year is my Tour Edge CBX 20° hybrid. The problem: it goes too far. Now, I’m not a big hitter, but my problem is that it’s supposed to slot in between my 5i and my 5w, but it’s far closer to the 5w than the 5i.

So to continue the Adams theme of recent posts, it’s being bumped by an Adam dHy at 21°. I’ve had the 24° version of this club in my bag before and got on very well with it, so I’m hoping it fills this gap nicely for me in the upcoming season.

3 Likes

Just curious, why you’re interested in a 2 wood vs your current 3 wood?

Also, this is an odd year where I have no plans to change anything in my bag. Occasionally I’ll pay with half sets for the shot creativity fun but I don’t plan to remove or purchase anything new…I better go get checked out…:rofl:

1 Like

Mostly because it’s only a tee club… I’d love more forgiveness off the tee, but want something that doesn’t run out and is limited in distance…

Interesting. I guess I wouldn’t suspect a 2 wood to fit into that category. My initial thought of a two wood is that it’d be almost as accurate as a driver but less distance and then harder to hit of the fairway. To be clear, I’ve never hit one. That’s just my initial thought.

I play a 16.5 degree callay big bertha 3 wood and I love that thing. It’s probably only 5-10% more accurate than my driver but it gives me confidence from the fairway in par 5s and it’s a decent tee shot club if I’m simply laying up shorter vs trying to be more accurate.

I don’t know, to be honest… At this point its more a thought experiment than a reality… I could very easily build out a short 12 degree driver and probably get what I’m looking for… (while giving up the ability to hit the ball off the deck, I’d pick up more forgiveness on the tee).

There are a couple of interesting options I might try this year… either the srixon or cobra in 13 degrees.

At my home course (where I play 90% of my rounds), I don’t ever have a 3 wood into a green… so I can slot that club as something different. I’m just not sure I’d get a ton of use out of it.

I see what you’re saying. I’d be interested how much you gain in forgiveness. I think Scott Fawcett mentions in his DECADE stuff that the accuracy from driver to 3 wood is almost negligible so he recommends just hitting the driver anyways or truly clubbing down to something significantly more accurate.

What do you typically have left into greens on par 5s? You may be suited for a 2iron or 3iron driving iron. I have a 3 iron mizuno driving iron and that is very accurate and carries around 220-225b and rolls a good ways. Then I have a 3h that I use for approach shots as i can hit it higher and it lands softer. No LW for me in my bag.

I think I’m just going to buy a cheap 12 degree driver head in something I have a shaft for (so either cobra or Callaway)

Since I’m normally hitting my gap wedge from 40+ yards, I wanted to try going back to the set wedge… someone on golfwrx mentioned replacing his cmb with a new cobra wedge, so I offered to buy his…

Ordered a shaft that matched my set and it’s hopefully build for me at the club…

I’m toying with my wedge setup this year, possibly considering a more forgiving sand wedge. I’m going to spend some time on a simulator checking my dispersion.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, why do you use your gap wedge that close? I rarely use mine inside 80 yards.

Honestly, that’s the distance listed in your short game solution as the point where you move from finesse to power… it’s not an accurate representation of where I use my wedge, I was just trying to say I use it for pitching and not chipping…

I’m with you, it’s more 80-120 yards for me.

1 Like

I’m struggling right now to decide which club leaves the bag so I can add a 52* wedge. My GW is 50*, SW is 56*, LW is 60*…and feel like the 52 really fills a gap that I seem to hit a lot of shots from that has always been a “tweener”.

I’m leaning towards taking out the 4 iron…but I often hit it better than my 4hybrid…and the 2 ironwood definitely needs to stay for tight driving holes…decisions, decisions…

1 Like

You already have a 50* wedge and you want to add a 52*? I would think one or the other would work.

I had a 52* GW for years, but then when I got stronger lofted irons I got a 50*. When I went back to more traditional loft irons I had the 50* bent to 52* as the 50 and PW seemed a bit too close yardage wise. Usually irons and wedges are 4-5* apart. 2* is pretty tight.

It’s also good to have lofts checked as just because they stamp it with a # does not mean it actually is that #.

2 Likes

Good idea on the loft check. Part of the reason for the 52* is also that it is much lower bounce than my 56* - making it much easier to hit for me from the fairway. My 56 is really truly a sand only club so far because the bounce is difficult for me to navigate with a full swing. I’m hoping the 52 give me shorter full swing distances - with more accuracy, vs 3/4 swings with my 50 GW.

Great thoughts though…I’ll have to see how it goes.

2 Likes

If you are hitting a lot of shots in that range, maybe it makes sense to go 50 and 54 in lower bounce and then 58 with more bounce for sand traps and around the green? I’ve loved having more bounce on chips now that I know how to use it.

2 Likes

It’s definitely worth a look, but I rarely chip with the same club. I use the “rule of 12” chipping method and often chip with an 8 or 9 iron. I’ve struggled for a while with so much bounce on the 56 though from anywhere but the bunker.

Maybe try a club with less bounce in the bunker? How much bounce is on your sand wedge?

Maybe that’s the club you need to tinker with?

1 Like