What’s your favorite training aid?

I warn people that is can be incredibly frustrating because it’s one of the few training aids you can’t “cheat” - but when you get it right, it feels like a lightbulb is going off!

3 Likes

Mine is coming this week!

1 Like

Enjoy it. If you can figure out how to use it, let me know. :rofl:

Tip I got from an instructor -

• practice chipping with it first, and slowly build up to full swings
2 Likes

great piece of advice - that’s exactly what I did when I first got it, and then worked my way up to full swings

2 Likes

Coming tomorrow and that’s the plan!

1 Like

I like that tip. I’ll try it out. Maybe I’ll stop hitting it dead right!!

1 Like

Because so much of my practice comes on range mats, a golf towel folded in half and placed about 6 inches behind the golf ball so I can make sure I’m not hitting it fat bu5 still getting decent results because the bounce off the mat.

3 Likes

You can also use that towel by placing it under your trail arm to ensure that you’re remaining connected.

2 Likes

great drill, it’s lasted the test of time!

Sometimes the simple, no cost ones work the best.

1 Like

Putt out has been awesome for me!

1 Like

I’m a big, big PuttOut fan. In my case, I’ve found a direct correlation between the amount of PuttOut time I do and my on-course putting numbers. There are times I’ll even use the PuttOut as a putting thought on course: I imagine the PuttOut where the hole is, trying to see how it would have to be oriented for me to go up the ramp (to get a picture for which side of the hole I need to drop my ball in).

Plus, it’s just fun. My son and I were having a contest the other day, trying to get perfect putts at the same time:

To anticipate the question: yes, this is a church. I pastor a little church in Michigan’s UP.

3 Likes

Putt out is awesome in my basement

Pretty good at home training aid to get those green side chips under control. Tape two tees together.

3 Likes

I have a DST and have been doing a lot of practice with it the past few weeks. It’s awesome. If you’re hitting it dead right, here’s some tips to fix that, and understand what it’s supposed to be training you to do/feel: Grip it as normal. Move your hands way forward to the impact position it expects. Notice how open the clubface is? Rotate your hands counterclockwise (while holding the grip) until the face is square. You’re basically doing what Tyler Ferrell calls the “motorcycle move”. Now from there, keep that rotation and move the club back. It will feel really shut. You need to train yourself to do that rotation and shut the face as the first move in your transition. If your normal move (like mine has been) is to close the face by stalling your hands and body and allowing the toe to pass the heel, this is a completely different feel and move. Instead you want to rotate the shaft/grip counterclockwise to shut the face, while it’s still behind you in transition. It’ll feel very shut but it’s correct. Hands ahead, keep body rotating, lots of shaft lean, shut face, path in to out. Crisp, compressed, push draws.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for this advice. I will give it a try and see if I can figure it out.

I loved training with the DST - it has had a tremendous impact (no pun intended) on my iron play

I’ve had the DST a couple of days now. I was pretty happy with myself yesterday that I was up to solid 3/4 swings and getting consistent/flush contact, so I recorded a few swings to see what it was looking like. Imagine my surprise to see that I was somehow flipping the club and still generating good contact! Must have been taking swiss watch level timing on my part to accomplish that (and it wasn’t a BAD flip), but still I started taking it back to square one with punch swings focused on getting my hands in front of the head through impact.

1 Like

Can I ask those of you who have used the DST, which iron do you think is best to try, the 8 iron or the wedge?

1 Like