What’s your favorite training aid?

I have the 8 iron. Probably wish I had the wedge. The length of the 8 iron with the bent shaft seems excessive to me. I’m sure once I figure it out I’ll be glad I have it.

1 Like

Not to be evasive, but - it depends… Are you more interested in working on your iron swing or your wedges?

IMO if you only get one, get the 8i!

Noted above you can use it to chip - and should when you’re first starting out with it.

1 Like

I also got the 8, original style. Felt like if I was going to commit to it as a training tool, I might as well go all out.

2 Likes

I have the 8 iron with the bent shaft.

I love it. For what I’m working on, it’s the perfect training club. My normal draw swing is a stall of my body and the club passes hands at impact. The DST trains me to use shaft rotation to close the clubface, with forward shaft lean at impact.

For those “struggling” with it, try this. Make a super slow swing. When the club is parallel to the ground behind you (on the downswing), stop and rotate the shaft counterclockwise. Think Dustin Johnson’s top of backswing wrist position. Severely bow your left wrist, cup the right wrist. Shut the clubface - it should be pointing at the ground or close to it. Now keep rotating even more (if you can) from there into impact position, with your hands in front (forward shaft lean). Stop at impact. Check that the clubface is square, the little alignment lines are lined up, hands ahead. My guess is you will need a lot more counterclockwise rotation than you ever imagined. Now make slow swings without the stops, but feel that counterclockwise shaft rotation from transition all the way through and past impact. Keep the path in to out. You will (or should) be able to hit nice little push draws. If not, stop at parallel and check for shut clubface. Stop at impact for square clubface. Keep at it. You’ll get it.

2 Likes

I think I just decided it’s not for me. :grinning:. Thanks for the response. I think maybe the DST is for better players than me.

1 Like

I think you just blew my mind :exploding_head:

1 Like

I’m right there with you… I’m a fairly good ball striker and working on this move, but I’m not sure that’s the right tool for me.

I have an old smart iron (it has bends in the shaft, a “correct grip” and a huge weighted yellow head) that I’ll swing around in my backyard.

I Might buy some speed sticks once my back is fully operational again.

I love my puttout.

I keep things fairly simple and will use tees, towels and alignment sticks to force me to improve path… I like getting immediate feedback with the clubs I actually play.

https://rmtclubbaseball.weckmethod.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=holiday&utm_content=Holiday20+-+CP_Baseball+Consumer&fbclid=IwAR1dlYMgoIG4Qa6xU-VhZZV4PFzWC8jY8wJgNb0KRysrL32fj8K5RSf4RXY

Anyone have any experience with this? It looks interesting… @Fit_For_Golf see if they will send you one!

1 Like

Do not, but do know that Weck Method training is legit.

1 Like

Had anyone seen this it tried it?

Thoughts?!

https://pureswingproducts.com/pages/precision-impact?fbclid=PAAaZEiT0Yr8iVgqr9by_j0IKlGK0l-V2e5wZ1KUfT8bAg9KoYHj5PkumRx-c

I think it was mark crossfield who talked about aids that force you into correct positions without actually helping you build the muscle memory to repeat it without the aid…

Jon has an article about his favorite training aids from awhile back

One of the items that stuck out was

Which I think would do the similar thing but force you to learn the position more naturally… I’d go with it.

1 Like

While WFH just set up my new Perfect Practice putting mat in my office…you know, just to let the mat flatten out after storage…

My floor isn’t even close to being even! 6" break R-L over a 6’ putt! Who knew :tired_face:

3 Likes

I remember that article and it is the reason I own the dst. Just saw this pop up today and thought it to be crazy yet intriguing. Wasn’t sure if anyone tried it out and what kind of feedback they had. The things people think up…

Ha! How do you like the DST?

I would say the DST has been one of the most helpful aids I’ve ever used. But I don’t think it’s for everyone!

2 Likes

Reading your article, do you say that because it requires you to be a pretty good ball striker with decent path to start using it successfully?

I really like it alright it’s definitely a weird feeling. You can feel the lag for sure and have to tell yourself not to manipulate it at impact. Once you get that in your head, it’s a great tool.

1 Like

Well, I guess that’s a chicken or egg argument. If you don’t have great impact conditions, this club can help you get there. I’d say if you were on the “less skilled” spectrum the wedge might be a good starting point.

I used it for about 2 years on and off, and it really got me feeling more shaft lean and getting more compression with my irons. But it is very frustrating when you don’t get it right. Some training aids are designed in a way where you can cheat them - you cannot do it with the DST.

4 Likes

It’s definitely frustrating when you don’t get it right. I have a tendency to leave the face slightly open at impact, due to the fact that I’m still slowing down just prior to impact opposed to speeding up at impact. This club lets me know when I do that, the ball flies off the face dead right, like 60° and it’s not coming off the hosel. When I finish my swing the ball launched beautifully with a little baby draw. Frustrating but useful.

2 Likes

Was there any problem, switching between the DST and the regular club? I get the concept, just not sure how I’d do on ‘translating’ it to my game.