Walking or Riding?

In my opinion, anyone who is physically able should always walk when they are playing. I honestly believe you’ll shoot better, enjoy the game more, and feel more connected to it. I also really believe this will help course conditions and increase the pace of play in general. I’ve made a little commitment to myself to not play anywhere that requires me to ride anymore, even if that somewhat limits my choices, because it’s just not as enjoyable for me to drive a golf cart. Not to mention these places tend to be the more expensive courses, so I feel like I’m getting even less value out of paying more money. My ideal golf course would rent out electric push carts instead of golf carts to take all the strain out of carrying/pushing the bag but still getting all the benefits to.
So how about you? Is there something about golf in a cart that I’m missing out on?

7 Likes

I like this topic and believe it to be very accurate. Every time I walk a course, I feel like I play better. Unfortunately, I can never convince my playing partners to walk with me. It does get kind of lonely when they’re off in the cart and you’re walking all by yourself. So when I do choose to walk, it’s generally when I go play as a single.

3 Likes
  • Rather Walk
  • Rather Ride

0 voters

I prefer to walk whenever possible. Two years ago I bought a motorized trolley, and it has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game while walking. I can’t say I score better, my home course is pretty hilly, with some long walks between green and tee, so I’m walking over 6 miles, with about 800 feet of uphill (and downhill, of course). Still, even when I’m tired, I enjoy the walking.
And if you EVER get to Scotland or Ireland, where walking is the norm and buggies are rare, you’ll be in much better shape if you’ve been walking at home.

5 Likes

To me, that’s actually a benefit. I’m fine chatting on the tee box while waiting and etc, but I really like those walks down the fairway where I might as well be the only person in the world. 99% of my rounds are as a single joined up with groups though, so that might be more just me and my connection to the game.

4 Likes

Riding. All the time. I work hard and pay taxes. I walked thousands and thousands of miles in Junior golf, high school, and college golf. I’ve paid my dues. I will ride a cart every round I play, if possible, and I will die on this hill.

2 Likes

:joy: :rofl:

I don’t know what paying taxes has to do with anything about walking, but it is funny as shit.

1 Like

PUSH CART MAFIA!!

One of the best investments I have made. Love walking around courses when it allows. You take in the beauty a bit more and have some time to slow down and process what is going on. I think I play better. Better for your fitness as well. Nothing like walking around at sunrise or sunset IMO!

2 Likes

We have a pretty big group that plays together on weekends, and a sizable majority walk. When I used to ride more, I’d find myself having conversations with my cart-mate, but not so much with the other two players in my group. When we’re all walking, everyone talks to each of the other players, so it ends up being much more sociable than riding in two separate carts.

2 Likes

I’m all for walking, I’d prefer it almost always to riding. I really don’t like to play courses that are cart-only. I agree with what was said above that when we ride, I find myself mostly just socializing with my cart mate, but when we walk, I’m socializing with everyone.

The only time I prefer to ride is if I’m playing something like a charity scramble or company golf outing where you know there are tons of beginners and the rounds are going to be very long and nobody is taking the golf seriously. In those cases, I like to ride so I can put my feet up while waiting to hit and enjoy a few cold beers during the round.

3 Likes

Always walking pushing my Clicgear. The only time I ride is when playing in a tournament and have to.

Love walking, even on the hilly courses which are often a pain.
I feel better after a round of walking and seem to take more time to enjoy the game and the course’s surroundings.

I dig walking and am frustrated when courses are designed with the golf cart in mind rather than the golfer.

For all you walkers out there, I definitely recommend checking out The Walking Golfers Society (https://thewalkinggolfer.com/). They have events around the country (in regular, non-pandemic times) at fun golf courses. I am hoping to get out to an Oregon event with them when things calm down.

4 Likes

Walk as much as possible - time and conditions permitting.

I always prefer walking but end up rising more than I would like, depending on who I am playing with.

I love when out walking on a course and seeing groups of other walkers. Rather than carts flying all over the place.

I walk whenever possible and have no shame with my push cart :rofl:

It’s great exercise and I think it’s also a better way to approach the game in terms of enjoyment and mental state.

4 Likes

Hear me out: America needs more caddy programs.

So few arenas in American life where socio-economic classes can now mix. Caddying is a great way to take kids from low-income families and give them connections into elite circles that can later help their careers. Also good for the wealthy to be reminded of just how separated they are from low-income Americans these days.

Plus it’s a great way to grow the game.

If I was king for a day I’d make all private clubs walking-only before 2pm, with mandatory caddies.

10 Likes

I prefer walking as well. It can be tough because my home course is VERY hilly and in some case there is a long walk from the green to the next tee and there really aren’t any walking shortcuts. At times I’m the only member of my group walking and it can be tough to keep up. If it’s really hot and humid I may walk the front and ride the back. I have a few friends that always ride and sometimes I will throw my bag on their cart and walk which is really nice as I don’t even have to push my cart lol.

Hmmm, that’s interesting. Personally, the few times I’ve played with a caddy I’ve found it very uncomfortable, but maybe that’s just me not being used to it. You are probably right about the opportunity to get younger people into the game though.

1 Like

I agree, I typically walk unless a course forces me to ride. Luckily with COVID all the nicer courses started allowing walkers to save carts for single riders. Walking does help me shoot better I definitely agree.

3 Likes