Walking or Riding?

I’ll walk ( Pushcart Mafia member) unless it’s hilly. Broke my left ankle in January of this year so caution is always my copilot.

1 Like

I like walking because it makes me feel like I exercised more, but I enjoy riding in a cart much more. I like having somewhere to sit if we’re waiting on the group ahead, and here in AZ it’s nice to have some guaranteed shade.

2 Likes

Get one of those push carts with an umbrella and built in stool :wink:

1 Like

Totally agree, re: walking if you are able. I feel that’s the way golf is meant to be played, and I know I definitely play better when I walk (I use a push cart).

Probably separate topic / thread, re: course design, but IMHO the better designed courses are those where the next tee box is “proximate” (Alistair McKenzie’s term) to the last green. Sure - some courses are forced to adapt to the land they have available, but I’ve been on a few … carts required … courses where some of the drives between holes was just crazy!

2 Likes

I prefer walking with a pull cart for 9 holes. The perfect combination of exercise and golf.

Does your course restrict walking during certain hours? Are you charged a fee for walking or using a push cart?

During the COVID times, the LA city courses have been saying no carts guaranteed after 9am (in practice I think they still tend to be available) and some of the courses are saying no carts at all for the super twilight times. Also, they’ve started sending a few groups off the back nine at opening and those slots are walking only.
I’ve never played a course that charged any sort of fee for walking or for bringing my own push cart. It’s always been either the choice or (at a lot of the higher end courses around here) cart only, no choice. There is only one walking-only 9 I know of around here and it’s one of my favorite places in the world.

I love to walk! My home course is tough to walk, and the last three holes can be brutal… but that’s me being out of shape.

Bought a Push cart and plan to get a ton of use out of it!

1 Like

I frequently am following walkers, HOW do they find their golf balls??? I must ride due to mobility problems, but admire the folks who walk, they’re maximizing the fitness benefits.

I find the ball walking a lot easier than riding. Walking, I can pick my line based on the direction I saw the shot go and just stick to that line. In the golf cart, I’m forced off the line to follow the cart path or avoid stuff, so I lose track of my direction much more easily.

3 Likes

I second that. When I ride I will often times lose my line and try to look backwards to see the general vicinity of where I thought I went. Never an issue when I walk.

Our course expanded walking hours this year and allowed push carts due to COVID. They also instituted a small walking fee to make up for some of the lost cart revenues.

Walking a golf course is one of the singular joys in life. Time to yourself, time to socialize with all players in your group. Good exercise. Feel the turf beneath your feet. Go straight to your ball with time to plan out your shot. Independence. Mobility. The way the game was meant to be played! I am happy if carts allow some to play that otherwise couldn’t. But for this guy lucky enough to be able to walk, what a pleasure!

3 Likes

I always walk. I sit on my bum all week at work and half the point of getting out on the course is for some exercise. Walking. End of. :wink:

1 Like

Always walk, and in most circumstances prefer to carry my clubs as well.

2 Likes

I was on the “carry clubs” team for a while, but now my thinking is that no matter how light the bag it, there is going to be some type of impact on the back and that’s something to be avoided, so push cart it is.

1 Like

I like that idea of more caddy programs! The benefits described make good sense. I’ve donated to a national and a local caddy program but I know they’re still not that widespread…
(…separate topic but I wonder if the First Tee does anything related to caddying?)

@CoryO - totally agree. I know carry is the classic way but… I cringe a bit when I see young kids carrying bags that are really too big and heavy for them to handle. The “push cart amateur” (smug) mentality needs to fade away IMO.

Youth On Course is doing a tremendous job setting up caddy programs around the country. They are the best non-profit in golf right now IMO, and why I donate a percentage of my revenue from PG to them every year. I encourage everyone to take a look at them and consider donating.

3 Likes

Thx for mentioning them!

I have, in fact, contributed to them … along with a local program … in the past. I hope they can continue to expand their outreach :+1: