Food During the Round

Eating SOMETHING during the round is essential to keep the energy and focus levels up (especially if you’re walking)
So what kind of food do you nosh on out there? I pretty much always have nuts and dried fruit in my bag (7-11 tropical trail mix is my easy standby as I can easily grab a bag on the way to pretty much any course and it’s no sugar added). I try to avoid the sandwich at the turn or the such, just too heavy to try and eat then hit immediately.
I’ll go ahead and share an interesting golf in Korea factoid as well. Over there, a round of golf is an all day experience with the round itself taking at least six hours, including a 30+ minute stop at the turn to eat a bowl of black sauce noodles (that’s included in your green fee).

2 Likes

Rx bars. Fruit jerky. Trail mix. Bananas. Apples. Healthy, light, energizing. Nothing hard to digest. Little bit before the round, little bit at the turn. Keep it clean and light!

If I’m playing 9 I don’t typically bring a snack, I’ll eat a half whole wheat pita with peanut butter or tuna before I head to the course

For 18, always a piece of whole fruit, almonds, a Paleo bar, cheese, hard boiled eggs. I prefer to focus on protein. I also like the Orgaine protein shakes ( been drinking these for on the go nutrition long before Bryson made them a thing!)

That said, if I forget to pack something, I’m not above grabbing a hot dog at the turn.

1 Like

I like to have a couple eggs on toast for breakfast and a protein bar out on the course if I’m playing 9 holes. If I’m playing 18 I’ll have a cheese sandwich and a banana. I really need to keep my energy levels up otherwise I start seeing a drop off in my performance.

I’ll have a sandwich (around lunch time, so different hole depending on starting time) and 2 bananas in special protective boxes.

Banana, nuts, granola bar, pb&j - those are my usuals

I usually pack a peanut butter sandwich and eat a quarter of it every 4 holes or so. Cheese sticks are easy to pack and eat. Water is a big one for me too.

1 Like

A good rule is every 3 holes to maintain cognitive function. Same with hydration. If you’re drinking b/c you’re thirsty, its too late. I’ll add a few coconut waters or add ultima replenisher through the round.

1 Like

I pack half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to eat at the turn. I think staying hydrated is more important.

1 Like

Lots of love for the PB&J on the thread. I would be all for that, but for some crazy reason my kids hate peanut butter & jelly (wife too). I would feel weird just buying it for myself :upside_down_face:

I like an apple and or banana, some trail mix, used to be protein bars, but as of late, I like to get smoked/candied salmon and eat that. Seems to really give a good dose of protein to the muscles to keep them fueled.

Buy some of the premade ones.

1 Like

Might just have to! I just checked the nutrition numbers because I was expecting a massive amount of added sugar, but only 8 grams, so not that bad.

If I’m walking, I will always carry a granola bar and toss a frozen Uncrustable (strawberry, not grape, because I’m not a monster) to have at the turn. Depending on the course, I may also grab something to eat at the turn.

1 Like

I try to eat within an hour before playing so I don’t have to eat during a round. I drink water or grape Powerade Zero like it’s my job on the course, though.

1 Like

I’ve developed a reputation as an eater in my regular group, always have at least 4-5 snacks. Favorites are a PB&J, an apple, beef jerky and occasionally a candy bar. Nutrition facts aside that ones good for the soul

Generally the only time I eat while playing is if I tee off mid morning and the round goes through my normal lunch time. I am a 3 meal a day guy and very rarely eat anything between meals. Probably explains why I only weigh 140 lbs. Haha.

I do drink a lot of water while playing.

1 Like

I’m a similar weight, but if I don’t have something during the round, I can definitely feel the mental fatigue by the time I get to the 15th or so. Nothing massive, just a handful of nuts or dried fruit every 3 or 4 holes. The walking is definitely more than burning that off.

1 Like

I walk all of my rounds also. Just never have been a big eater. I have packed stuff before and didn’t think to eat anything and found it a month later in my bag.

Tournaments where the rounds generally last 4 hours at a minimum are a different story though. I will either pack something or grab a snack at the turn. Casual rounds almost never exceed 3 hours and if I’m solo, I’m done in 2.5 hours max. I prefer playing in the afternoons when the course is not near as crowded.

Couldn’t have said it any better!