Shot Scope V3 GPS Watch

If I didn’t have an S62, I’d be all over this… GPS watch is a great addition for anyone trying to keep better stats.

2 Likes

Yea I think Shot Scope is a great value for people who currently don’t have a GPS watch & are looking for an easy way to track their stats. Kind of a two birds w/ one stone scenario!

3 Likes

I have one; highly recommended. I have heard there are plans in 2021 to introduce a coach portal. I’m looking forward to this as it will give my coach direct access to my stats, enhancing our ongoing interaction.

5 Likes

It’s a great idea. GAME GOLF had tried this years ago but unfortunately, they couldn’t make the whole company work. Shot Scope seems to be on a much better trajectory and keeps adding smart features.

5 Likes

Just got one a couple weeks ago. Giving it it’s maiden voyage in a couple weeks in AZ. Really excited for the data and definitely think it’ll help me make the leap from 3 to scratch.

5 Likes

Actually, I have a question for those who already use the V3. I know the watch will show distance to hazards and such. Do you also use another gps app to see the satellite view of a hole (especially on courses you’ve never played)?

If you’re in a cart, most have the satellite view. I generally walk and don’t use any other data, except the watch. I suppose you could open the maps and satellite view on your phone and see an overhead shot pretty simply.

You would need to have a separate app like 18 Birdies for that.

Does the V3 provide yardage to dogleg or end of fairway? Can you set a gps point/marker on it? My home course has a # of doglegs and it helps to know how far to a certain landing area. I’ve pretty much figured it out by tee box location, but it’s good to have confirmation.

It does not - it will only show distances to hazards, and front/center/back of green

2 Likes

If I need to find out the layout or distances to doglegs, I use The Grint. And I just ordered the V3 yesterday! Should be here on Friday. I had been using a Garmin Vivoactive 3 but it doesn’t give the stats I’m looking forward to with the V3. Thanks Jon for getting us this great deal and all the other hard work you do for us!

4 Likes

Good to know. The Grint has been my app of choice for many years. Sounds like it’ll still be a part of the process. The data from the V3 is gonna be :100:

1 Like

Have just started using my V3 and experiencing some issues. Checked the Shot Scope website, and there are a few suggestions worth considering. All of these and more are under the Shot Detection Checklist or the Common Issues page, but I thought it might be useful to touch on several points here.

First, the website advises that it may take three or four rounds for the watch to adjust to you so accept that you won’t start seeing the optimum benefits right out of the box.

Second, during those three or four rounds, you should be getting used to the watch. The Checklist suggests that before your shots or putts, take a practice swing to awaken the watch in case it’s gone into sleep mode. For those accustomed to practice swings, no problem, but that’s not in my normal preshot routine. I have no objections to this, and it may very well explain why I’m having problems with the V3 missing the occasional shot or putts. This is especially important because as the website notes, Shot Scope assumes a tee shot so if it doesn’t record your drive, it picks up your second shot, assumes that was the club you used for your drive, and gives you credit for a 335-yard 7-iron.

Third, although I suspect there’s waffle room here, the website makes a big deal about the proximity of the watch to the tag, suggesting that the range is 8-10 cm–3-4 inches. Anything, and the website gives a lot of examples, that increases that distance may affect the quality of the data gathered, including some things that you might not have considered.

For instance, the further down the grip you place your hands, the more likely the connection might break down. As discussed upthread, wearing the watch on your trail wrist may lessen the connection. Interference from various sources may also weaken the connection. A fitness watch or one of those copper bands could have an effect.

If you’re a new user and having issues, a look at the website may pay dividends. I’m two rounds into an Orlando trip where I hope to play seven times. I’ve adjusted my expectations from getting a week’s worth of useful data to getting about three rounds instead.

Despite the issues, however, I can definitely see the advantages the V3 brings to the average golfer by providing useful data that should translate to real game improvement.

2 Likes

I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks now (thank you, Jon!) but have only been able to log 3 9-hole rounds. I also do not usually take practice swings but I found that holding the club in my lead hand for a few seconds, taking a few swings in back of my line (loosening up swings, not really practice swings), then stepping up to the ball and striking usually results in a recorded hit. It doesn’t take long to incorporate the watch into your game, just remember to pin collect after the hole. I do like the option of designating a shot as positional on the dashboard afterwards if you have to punch out from under trees and not have your 39 yard shot count in your 6 iron stats! Yes, visit the support area and read through all the postings to get great tips and ways you can the most out of the device.

4 Likes

I’ve only got a couple of 9 hole rounds in on my V3. I wish you could do your post round editing from the app, but otherwise it seems very promising. My round this past weekend was actually an 18 hole round, but it started me over on hole one for the back 9. I sent an email to SS and they responded 1st thing this morning. They had my course mapped as a 9 hole track for some reason. I’m not sure how that happened when you can clearly see the back nine on the satelite images, but they have submitted a ticket to have it remapped. I’m very pleased with the customer service.

6 Likes

Just got my v3 yesterday, and was thinking the same. I sent a question to shotscope to ask if there is a companion app for the phone (like hole 19) … They currently said no, but they liked the idea and said they would add to the improvements list

For now I use the v3 and hole 19

1 Like

Where can I find the strokes gained stats on both mobile app and dashboard … cannot seem to find the link to it

I can edit on my rounds on the app. Not sure why you cant, tap the ‘pencil’ icon top right.

Had my V3 on for three rounds and it hasn’t missed one shot. V2 missed 4 or 5 every round. Battery charges quicker and last longer. Its slimmer and doesn’t get impacted by sleeves on the buttons.

1 Like

Its only on the app (for me anyway) and is under ‘perfomance’.

I finally figured out how to edit on the app, thanks. I spent about 30 minutes editing after my round yesterday, so mine is definitely missing shots.

1 Like