Rory at the Majors

Yeah I’m not at all not convinced Tiger elevated his game for majors or was ‘clutch’ in anyway. Tiger woods has won about 22% of his starts. He’s won 15 majors in 81 starts - good for an 18.5% win rate. Granted, the field in majors is tougher on average, but it still doesn’t look like anything out of the ordinary. He won a ton of majors because he was that much better than anyone else.

Also:

Rory McIlroy: Career winrate 9.4%, 4 wins in 48 major starts (8.3% winrate). I mean should we really expect him to have more than 4 majors at this point in his career?

1 Like

Look who is lurking…

Pulling for my guy big time tomorrow

3 Likes

Love it. Really want him to come back into form.

2 Likes

Ayyyyy he did it!! Hope he keeps the momentum.

3 Likes

What a great finish! If my mother were still alive, she’d be beside herself. Her bloodlines were Irish. Her two favorite golfers were Rory and G-Mac. Quite often, during our Sunday evening phone calls, she’d ask “How’d that little Irishman do today?” I suppose it could have applied to either, I guess.

3 Likes

When he ended the drought in 2014 he won three in a row

the open, firestone and the pga championship

2 Likes

Oh man… I’ll have to pick him in my major money pool

1 Like

Don’t look now, but another first round fumble by Rors in a major. It’ll be fun to watch him torch Fri-Sun for a back door top 5.

3 Likes

He is lurking… if he drives it well today then watch out

Short game was dialed in yesterday

1 Like

I promised myself yesterday I wouldn’t get excited.

2 Likes

Time to put on john cash’s cover of hurt and re-watch yesterday’s highlights

1 Like

Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because Rahm happened.

4 Likes

Come on come on come on

1 Like

7 under is pretty nifty for a round, but it’s a lot harder to do in one of the final twosomes. Rory played really well in his last Ryder Cup match too…after the team outcome had largely been decided.

I switched off following the telecast, after Smith dunked on 12 (and he nearly dunked his 2nd on 13), and Scottie went into full ‘protect-the-lead’ mode. Good on him for likely winning, but this is an awfully boring style of play to watch for the final 9 at Augusta on Sunday.

Golf at any level isn’t EZ. If a guy in baseball is a hall of famer for making an out 7 out of 10 times over 10 years. Golf is worse! We were spoiled by Tiger and Jack. Remember that Arnie never won a major after 1964 and he hit the tour around 1954. Some great golfers, if you look over the years, are exactly like shooting stars. Longevity and commitment, good health and belief in yourself are key. Rory aint over yet he’s only 32 and is a hall of famer. He’s won 20 PGA events and I could see 10 more easy with a couple more Majors.

Wouldn’t laying up on #15 have been protect the lead mode? Cuz a natural fader drew a long iron around the trees to the green and I wouldn’t have blamed him if we went wedge-wedge. Unfortunately it wasn’t an exciting finishing with Smith dunking his ball and making triple, but it was interesting for a while.

1 Like

Missed that one.

I switched off after Scottie laid up on 13, when Smith mishit his 2nd so bad, it didn’t even go into the creek, but hit just short of it. I thought, if you’re not going for it here, this is going to be a snoozer.

Not watching the Masters final 9 to see drive middle of fairway and short, aim for the middle, take two putts, and nod politely to the crowd. Or, your basic US Open play…

So, that said, I’m surprised he would’ve went for it on 15, which is a much more difficult 2nd shot. Especially with the tees where they were Thurs/Fri. Did they move them up Sunday?

I didn’t notice if the tees were up on 15 Sunday. Scheffler’s drive was on the left side of the fairway and he was at least partially blocked from the green by tree branches. He was about 225 I think which is short-ish for a tour pro, but with that lead I wouldn’t have blamed him for laying up. IIRC Dottie Pepper said he was laying up, but then he drew it around the branches to just off the back of the green. I would have expected him to lay up in the position. He’s a fader with a great short game so why go for it? Luckily he waited until 18 to 4-putt anything lol.

1 Like

hah not his fault for blowing away the field during the first 63 holes… still kudos to him for playing an under par round while holding the lead…

not easy given the scoring average of the field!

well done scottie

1 Like

I believe rory will win the masters if he stays healthy for the next 10 years…

Another great showing by zalatoris… expect him to go unconscious and reel off multiple wins at some point soon in a season

Morikawa game still razor sharp

Schauffele not in the mix for the first time in a while…

good weekend of golf