Rory at the Majors

I could be wrong! DJ gonna DJ with a lead on Sunday at a major!?!?!

1 Like

Let’s go Rors!!!

Sorry for the misdirection…this isn’t about Rory. For those of you who saw Langer putt out on 18 (or 9…not sure which)…there is NO WAY that guy isn’t anchoring. His shirt is pinned between his hand and chest and not budging at all in the wind.

Did anyone watch Rory’s post round interview today. He admitted to actively thinking about completing the set and saying next year he should play like he doesn’t care. Maybe easier said than done.

2 Likes

Yes I saw the interview. I think the quick turn around will be good for him. He comes right back in April and doesn’t have to wait 12 months

1 Like

^ this didnt age well

5 Likes

But he got to hit his dad with a bad shot at least. Lasting memories!

1 Like

I mean this in the least disrespectful way possible knowing fully well on any given day Xander Schauffele is 10000x better at golf than I am, but I almost think I could beat him on many Sundays. Guy just doesn’t have the finishing gene and he’s so SOOO good. Breaks my heart.

1 Like

He has some holes left!!

And just hit a laser. Could make it interesting at least. I just really want him to get over the hump and find a little bit of that killer instinct because he’s a massive star. Remove whatever block he has on so many Sundays and he will rack up wins.

1 Like

His final round scoring average over the last three seasons is a hair over 69 which puts him in the top 20 on tour. I find that shocking since, I would have agreed with you that he was poor down the stretch.

1 Like

Whoa! That is surprising. I’d be interested in what it is when he’s in the lead or within a couple shots/places of first.

1 Like

Question:

Do we over value a guy like JT’s ability to shoot 65 and win on sunday?

I am generalizing, JT has won so much that is not a great example

Do we attribute the variance it takes to win to “killer instinct”?

2 Likes

Brutal. Feel for the guy. Must have hit it off the toe

IMO the answer to your question is yes.

In sports it seems to be that you are a choker until you win

1 Like

Agree. Then i think about spieth

Thats why we love sports i suppose

Also does Hideki have the killer instinct just because he won? He certainly was shaky down the stretch.

2 Likes

I think if you have the mindset to commit to going full send and trying to go low, then executing and winning - big time killer. Shark.

I also think if you have a lead and keep your foot on the gas and close out - like Tiger did for around 20 years - mega killer. Great white.

If you repeatedly let the moment swallow you whole - regardless of effort and intent - minnow.

I respect the hell out of all of these guys. Xander is a top 5 talent and player on this planet. He handles adversity as well as anyone. But he’s had a lot of moments that seem to have been too big for him. I truly truly hope he can get over the hump because once he uncorks that bottle tournaments and majors are going to be much harder to win for other guys.

1 Like

Tiger was a stone cold killer

1 Like

Baseball loved to talk about “clutch” players and the numbers show they don’t exist…

Tiger was a killer, but I think that’s just mostly because he was so much better than other people… he also was just good at making whatever game he brought to the course WORK. Look at his made cut streak… he simply just made it work even on his worst days.

1 Like