Playing Solo / "Single"

Since I moved a couple years ago, I’ve played probably 80% of my golf solo or as a “single” getting paired. Covid has, in some ways, made my experience a norm for a lot of people that are still trying to get out and play.
How do you feel playing a round on your own affects your mental game and enjoyment of the round?
As someone who predominantly plays solo rounds, I actually have a hard time adjusting my mental (and physical) game to playing with a 4-some. The round takes much longer than I’m used to and it’s hard for me to block out negative attitudes in the group (great thread already going on that!). Meanwhile, I find my solo rounds to be relaxing and some nice “me time” to get out and play.

8 Likes

I enjoy playing solo but almost never do it anymore. There’s no better competition than throwing down two balls and playing against yourself.

1 Like

I miss playing solo from time to time. Most courses around here won’t let you. They see it as a wasted tee time and force you to have 3 or more or join in with strangers - which I despise.

There’s something about playing by yourself that enhances focus and allows you to appreciate your surroundings more. I love it.

Most of my golf is either matches with friends or tournament play. But I do like to play about 10-20% of my rounds as “practice” time by myself. I’ll go out for about 5-6 holes with multiple balls and just try to work on what I’m least comfortable with lately (usually wedge game). I know not everyone can do that easily but that’s perhaps the greatest kind of practice.

3 Likes

I’ve played the vast majority of my golf as a single getting paired. I used to play a lot of solo rounds by getting out super early, but with the courses so busy these days, that doesn’t really happen anymore unless I’m grabbing the last super twilight time to just mess around for a few holes.
I enjoy playing as a single and getting joined up with groups (most of the time) and have gotten more interesting stories out of it than I would have from just being on my own. I think mindfulness is the key for not letting playing partners impact you, whether they are your regular group or just the people you got joined up with. It’s okay to “switch off” on the tee and have those casual conversations and get to know people a bit and then as you split off to walk to your ball (here is where walking REALLY helps), use a mindful awareness practice to “switch on” and put the focus back on your game. I think this also helps prevent mental fatigue and frustration during those slow rounds.

1 Like

And by “mess around for a few holes”, I definitely mean what Jon said above, take multiple balls and work on parts of the game. :wink:

I definitely agree with a lot of this, especially the nice “me time” of playing solo. I enjoy it

2 Likes

I get as much pleasure testing myself over a nine hole solo round as I do from 18 holes with others.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m the same. I moved to rural Norway and work weird hours so I’m playing most of my golf solo now. Back in Sydney it’s a little ‘too social’…

To balance it out I try to play mid am events on Fridays to get to know people, but I’m starting to like playing alone so much I’m actually avoiding weekend golf and playing more during the week. haha.

Like you say, it’s some really nice ‘me time’ while the kids are at school, and it’s so fast! Even if I play 2 balls and practice around the greens I still only take 3 hours for 18 holes, plus the course is empty so there’s no stress about being too fast and having to play through.

1 Like

At the moment it gets dark at 1830 each night. On a Mon Thur Fri and Sun I play in the mornings in groups of 3 or 4 Tue & Wed I tee off at 1500 and play 2 balls at once. Usually no one to hold me up and not many people behind. I jog a bit and walk fast. I don’t mind playing on my own except if my morning partners cancel and I am stuck play by myself at 4 ball speed. A round by myself takes 2.5 or 2.75 hours while 4 ball takes 4hr+

I enjoy playing solo but try to avoid it since I’m still looking for my first ace. I’m convinced I’ll do it playing alone.

2 Likes

Just turn on the “ace cam” for every par 3.

1 Like

Nearly all of my golf is solo! Occasionally, last year, I played with my sister, but she is onto vacations this year. It’s worked out well, but would appreciate the company! The local course has no problem with going out solo with a cart. But my putting is bad, wish I had second opinion on how hard to hit it - does more speed overcome bumps or just put you farther beyond the hole?

2 Likes

I love playing solo. One of my favourite things about my home course is their “early bird” golf policy where you can tee off first-come/first-served up to 30mins before the first tee time of the day. Getting up before dawn and teeing off just as the sun comes up was a great way to start the day. I’d play 18 holes alone, shower, and have breakfast at the course before going to work. I’d play some of my best golf this way because it was so peaceful and relaxing and I could play at my own pace (though the unwritten rule of early bird is “play fast”).

They don’t allow it this year due to COVID restrictions and I’ve really been missing it.

1 Like

I love playing as a single, but find my thoughts tend to stray more when I’m by myself and I loose focus. My best rounds have been with others when we are gambling…nothing like something on the line to keep me super focused.

1 Like

That’s how I spent two years of high school when I first got into the game and continued to do it for a while. Still get to play completely solo every once and a while (got a front nine completely on my own during a twilight round this week before I hit traffic) and it probably is my favorite way to play.

1 Like

While there is nothing better than playing with a group of good buddies, playing solo is the best form of practice available. I find the head chatter goes to what are you going to do each shot? Where are you trying to land? What are the hazards? It seems the solo games are much more deliberate and focused. And keep it honest by making sure every hole is actually finished… not just close enough.

3 Likes

100% correct

welcome to the community, Geoff!

1 Like

Thanks, Jon. I have been following your work on twitter for some time. Next to my coach your insight has had the most significant impact on my game. In particular, center of the green and back pin yardage.
Thanks for the work on this site!

2 Likes

That’s great! I appreciate the kind words.