Playing Solo / "Single"

Like others, I’d really enjoy the chance to get out solo buuuut… Where I live - agree especially this year - course are really busy, almost fully booked the full day one to two weeks in advance…

But yeah if you can find it, it is a great opportunity to be able to focus on your own game without distractions (and I also have trouble with extra slow rounds), or to be able to freely practice things like approach and greenside shots!

Maybe when the weather gets colder here…

Just to share about my round today, got out on the “first” tee time (although a couple guys jumped out ahead while it was still dark). The other single in the group got there the same time as me, so we went off together soon after. Since I was walking and he was in a cart (and we had very different shot shapes) I was playing pretty much solo. Forgot how much I enjoy those super early morning rounds, open course in front of me, finishing in around ~3 hours.

1 Like

When I go home to visit my mom in SC, I love to get an early tee-time and play at least one round by myself, before I do another round with my buddies. It’s just so darn relaxing.
Sometimes i’m able to get in a quick nine before work, and I’m usually the only one on the course that early in the morning…a little bit of therapy before going into the office.

2 Likes

There’s a club nearby that I’m seriously thinking about joining. Comes at a cost, but I think I’d be able to walk the front nine there in just a bit over an hour then head into work multiple times a week.

1 Like

I tend to play much better when grouped with people. The conversation and the distractions keep me from on course adjusting or diagnosing bad shots and habits.
I played alone quite a bit when I moved here and the course was quiet, I do miss it, but way more stressful somehow!

1 Like

At Mt Osmond GC you can’t tee off early as green keepers still mowing/rolling greens. Neighbors have complained about noise so they start at the far end of the course where there are no houses. First tee time at the moment is 0700. Play early morning and always have a group. Play in the afternoon and play solo. Playing solo you don’t have any help watching/looking for balls. Playing solo you get in a rhythm just playing shot after shot not being held up. Positives to both scenarios.

1 Like

Late to this thread…
I absolutely love playing solo…early mornings are the best. With Covid - it’s been almost impossible to sneak in a solo round. While I certainly enjoy meeting new people, solo is still easily the most preferred round for me. Perhaps it’s nerves, but I almost always score better when playing solo (maybe it’s rhythm).

2 Likes

During lockdown I’ve gotten to work from home for the first time in years. Means I’ve been able to get an early 9 in before work or 9-18 after. Some of those early 9 holes on my own in the early morning sun have been the best golf. Utter bliss. I play better than I do in a 3/4 ball or in competitions. Something about the complete lack of pressure and the sheer pleasure of having the good fortune to be able to play golf.

3 Likes

I just played 18 holes solo, rain had been forecast but held off, the second nine there was nobody left golfing- felt like I owned a golf course! Almost certainly the last 18 till spring (weather) may get in a 9 or so yet. Tried new things, gave my 2 new hybrids a workout, not a care in the world.

4 Likes

Some of my best rounds (which I can’t post) are when I play solo, and it’s almost meditative when I walk alone. I play well with my parents, since I’ve played thousands of rounds with them over the years, but those rounds are pretty casual as comfortable as well.

Every group has a different dynamic. I have a group I play semi-regularly with now, and it’s gotten more comfortable over the years, and they play first group off so we are never waiting. The camaraderie, trash-talk, and respect over several rounds is something I enjoy, and hard achieve when walking up and joining a group as a single.

3 Likes

Huh, I never realized that they changed (or “clarified”) that rule to make solo rounds unacceptable for posting. Looks like my posted round number is going to decrease significantly.

1 Like

I have posted a few :shushing_face: when I play it down and hole everything, and personally don’t see the problem if it’s played within the rules, but I normally I treat solo rounds as practice rounds, and will hit the occasional second ball or knock a few around the greens trying different shots

Cory, this changed in 2016. From what I’ve heard this was one of the first changes made in the USGA jurisdiction as we moved towards the WHS for handicaps. That rule might be better discussed in a different topic, but its one that , to me, seems perfectly appropriate.

Reviving this old thread…
I hadn’t played a solo round in a while. I’ve done it a handful of times in the past, and never enjoyed it that much.
But I had the day off today and nobody to play with, so I gave it another shot. Took a different approach this time – I showed up early and was the first person off the tee. Played a two-ball scramble with myself just for fun. With nobody in front of me or behind me, I just took my time and enjoyed the solitude. Playing a scramble really kept me engaged because I wanted to see how low I could go. I think that’s what was missing in my previous solo rounds, just couldn’t take it seriously or stay focused.

My big takeaway from the round, boy do I hate playing with distance balls or cheap balls. I’ve played with them before, but never had done on-course side-by-side testing. I had 6 or 7 approach shots from 70 to 80 yards, and couldn’t believe the difference between a ProV1 and a Titleist AVX or Tour Soft. I knew there’d be a difference, but yikes!

2 Likes

What differences did you find?

I’m envious of those of you in the thread who’ve gotten to play solo. I’ve had it rarely, a long time ago, but the courses I play here get cranky if you try to go out by yourself. Far prefer just hitting and walking.

2 Likes

With 3/4 swing with 58 degree wedge, ProV would take one or two hops, then stop. Cheap ball hit the same way would run out a good 15/20 feet.

I’d like to do the solo thing more often, but I think in the fall is the only time I could. Courses are too busy in the spring and summer.

2 Likes

I had the chance yesterday to get in 18 solo…though it was windy and rainy. It doesn’t happen often, but I love to play alone. Greens were punched and sanded recently, but that’s just fine…

I play the Snell “Get Sum” distance ball…I love the distance and it spins enough for me most of the time. I tried the MTB…but it just didn’t seem to have the same distance off the tee for me…so I’ll stick with a little more distance and a little less spin (for now).

3 Likes

Neat! I’m still trying to grasp a lot of the subtleties of spin, mixed with consistent impact, to get the ball to end up where I want around the green.

So many places, you’re practicing in chipping areas with their range balls, which aren’t even close to the same feel. Apartment dweller, so while I can feel the difference putting at home between, e.g., Kirkland 3-piece and TM TP Black, it’s challenging to find room to experience the differences in runout, flight, and feel when chipping/pitching.

2 Likes

I love getting out solo at least once a month. I play at a muni on an annual pass. So I can play 4 holes, 7 holes or 12 or 18. I never keep score unless I play a 2 ball scramble. Tiger used to play “worst ball” scrambles. A lot of the time I will hit 3 or 4 shots from the same location. The first time I went to a Masters practice round I noticed the players hitting several shots from the same positions around the greens. Great practice.

1 Like

I’ll get out solo 1-2 times per month. It tends to be a nice little walk. I’ll haul ass on 1st hole to gain separation, then gear the pace down. When I put together good shots, as I loosely define them, I play them.

When I misplay, I’ll drop a second ball. A misplay includes, but not limited to; swing, strategy, club selection. I don’t play a “how low can I go scramble”, it’s purely a diagnostic round for me.

But, yes, I think the occasional solo round has its place. Thanks for reviving the topic.

2 Likes