Golf Podcasts: What are you listening to?

It’s not even really a technical approach they are missing (though to be sure, there is some of that). But, they don’t understand what it even means to be scratch. Seems like they think they need to be at or under par all the time which is definitely not true. Their aggressive strategy is all wrong though very entertaining. And, I have no idea how they practice but I’m willing to bet it’s both inconsistent and without any sort of goal.

These guys are one of the many reasons I am way into golf again and trying to improve this winter. My goal is +3 from my current 0.0 index and, in some ways, listening to all the ways they are messing up their pursuit has helped me shape the way I’m going after mine. I do have a lot of experience earlier in my life from years of preparing for competitive golf to lean on but these guys have really crystallized in my mind the best way for an average guy like me with limited time to see big improvement. It’s a combo of instruction, specific goal oriented practice, fitness, and employing a “boring” approach on the course (make lots and lots of pars). We’ll see how it goes for me. I hope these guys can do it next year.

1 Like

Awesom! Hope you’ll hang out on the forum here and tell us what you are doing… it’s always interesting to see how others approach the game…

Best I’ve ever been was a 4, and I was playing golf every day with no particular strategy or attempts at actually improving what I needed to improve… I’m a 6 now with significantly less time, but think I can take a better strategic approach (and focus on boring golf) and get down to at least a 2 this season… Honestly, if I get my putting to average, I should drop 2-3 strokes. I’m REALLY bad at putting right now by all metrics.

Definitely agree on their approach being… lacking… I’ve said it in another thread, but I think the key is finding the actionable parts of your golf game and working on those. Just chipping away at the flaws and building confidence… I had a huge drop in handicap last season (as I returned to playing more golf) simply by getting confident on the tee box, which improved my drives which boosted my confidence… It’s little things like that that make a huge difference as you get into single digits… I think, as you said, scratch and below is more error avoidance and capitalizing on opportunities (having and sinking birdie putts while chasing par)

Here’s what I’m doing. I’ve got a facility with a trackman very close to my office so I’m going there 4-5 times per week for 90 mins per session. I’m breaking each session into three parts -

1. technique/drills - I’m working with an instructor so he’s giving me things to work on and different training aids to use so do this first. I’m working on improving my path and shallowing my swing. I’m outside to in and steep and need this to get better.

2. Practice games - I have a set of different type of shots/targets (eg - 30 yd and 60 yd targets, hit three shots to each using my 56 and 60 wedges, measure outcomes and compare to the last time or pick a target for a full 7I and another for 3/4 7I and hit three to each alternating for 7-10 mins)

3. Data collection - One major goal is to figure out how far I hit my wedges at different swing speeds. So, at the end, I hit 25 or so wedges at a specific feeling (1/2, 3/4 or full). Trackman collects all the data I need and what I’m learning is how far I carry the ball at with each of these swings (and that the speed of the swing at each of these feelings is very consistent which is good). Over the winter, I’ll hit hundreds, if not more, of balls with each of these swings so I should have it pretty dialed in next year. When the weather gets better, I’ll take this outside and measure how far the ball goes with each swing in the elements. I bet it’s close to the simulator but it will be different. I’m also going to gather the same kind of carry and dispersion data through my whole bag but I want to work more on the swing changes before I really get into that.

Putting - I have a mat in my basement and, later in the winter, I’m going to spend some time every day working on my aim (I have a left bias) and start line (also left bias). Things like gate drills will help here. I’m going to hit a million 10 ft and in putts. My lag putting is pretty good but I do not make nearly enough of the shorter ones (even acknowledging that the expected number of makes is a lower than most people realize). I’m intrigued by Aimpoint and will probably sign up for a session next year when the weather gets better.

Short Game - not much I can really do here in a Trackman but I will work on pitching and chipping technique. But, getting good feel is something that needs to be done outside, on grass, to real holes.

Fitness - I’m using Fit For Golf which I have enjoyed and will layer in some kettlebell workouts I started last year before Covid. I’m very limited given that I can only workout in the basement but it’s better than nothing and I know I’ll get somewhat stronger. Also thinking about using SuperSpeed sticks but I’m a bit apprehensive about that as I hurt my shoulder last summer using those. We’ll see about that.

Finally, next summer, I’m going to enter as many tournaments as I can. I’m going to put myself out there under the gun as much as I can and probably stretch in events that are beyond me. But, this is the best way to test the swing and strategy and, over time, will help the improvement plan a lot. And, by the end of the summer when the only two events I care about come around - the Mid-Am qualifier and club championship, I’ll be as ready as I can be.

Haha, you are definitely on the right forum!

That plan sounds good and similar to my own on the simulator. Wedges especially… I’m happy with my swing overall, but want to optimize my driver swing to get some more distance, while also building speed with Fit for Golf. I tore cartilage in my back over the summer, so haven’t been able to swing full since August. It’s been not fun. So most of my down time is spent figuring out what I want to do when I’m healthy.

Did an Edel Fitting today is my post on getting fit for an Edel… I found the process to be insanely interesting and liked that it starts with finding the head and hosel that helps you aim the best. Highly recommend checking it out (Whether you want to spend $500 on a putter is a different question). The fitter is a new assistant pro at my shop who’s a +6 and former division 3 golf coach… he’s a lot of fun to talk golf with.

Sounds like you have a plan to go in hot to the Mid Am and Club Championship! Good luck on both, our current Club Champion is probably the second best golfer at our club (behind his wife) but he’s lost the previous 4 years (not to her!). Match play events can get weird quick.

We’ll see how it turns out. I had a stretch of about 6 weeks this summer where the game was so easy. Got down to +2 and felt like it could be so much better. But, as always, it got hard again and my flaws dragged me down. I haven’t been this motivated to get better since I was in college and working to get myself into the lineup on our team. I know that if I do all this and stay consistent, I’ll be a lot better and I’ll be prepared to compete. I also know that measuring success or failure on one or two tournaments (one of which is only 18 holes) is folly. I just want to get to the first tee and know I belong. The results will be what they will be but the possible outcomes are way better if I do the work. My long-term goal is to get on the first tee of at US Senior Open qualifier in five years and know I have a shot. I am fascinated to find out what my game and body will look like at 50 if I keep this up.

1 Like

That’s awesome.

I’d forgotten one other thing I want to master this winter… @Fraser brought it up in another of my long winded topics… The Data Revolution and you touched on it briefly… I want to have more variety of shots in my bag… Not Tiger’s 9 windows, but I want to be able to hit a 3/4 8 iron 150 (or whatever) yards and have it roll out instead of bite back… Things that will allow me to change my approach as the course changes and demands different shots… I’m pretty much a high flight, high spin player and while I don’t mind it, I’d like to have more options in the bag, even if it’s just laying of a club so it goes lower and spins less… but to do that, I need to learn consistency and see my dispersion with the three quarter swings.

They do illustrate well, how many ways one’s mental state/swing thoughts can really blow up your game!

@DVOIF so as not to detail the other thread…

Love chasing scratch and glad other people here have enjoyed it… I’m interested to see how their move to YouTube content goes.

I’m actually referenced on the show, as I’m the one who sent the repent email… I’ve emailed them a couple of times (and invited Eli to play with me in Louisville) I enjoy what they do and like to spread the good word, but it’s definitely not a podcast for everyone.

1 Like

Chasing Scratch is my favorite. I also listen to Fully Equipped, No Putts Given, and Sub Par pretty regularly.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about my chasing scratch diatribe… I’ll probably start a new thread on now that I know enough people here listen to it.

1 Like

Really enjoyed this conversation! Currently listening to the @ScottFawcettDECADE episode as well… It’s good too!

1 Like

Scott is a much more interesting guest than I am :grinning:

I’ll just say I enjoyed the conversation you had, and I enjoyed hearing Scott talk… :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve been really enjoying the Hack it Out Golf podcast with @LouStagner (most recent one has @Adamyounggolf on it!)

Lou and Mark are great. And I thought it was a fun conversation with Adam.

3 Likes

I listened to some of it earlier today and it was excellent

1 Like

Yeah, the three of them were excellent! :joy:

Thanks for all the great recommendations. Started Chasing Scratch this week and I’m through 7 episodes of Season 1. It’s surprising how invested I am in two strangers’ golf games.

5 Likes

Haha, welcome to the madness… I’m six episodes in on season 2 on my relisten. It’s still enjoyable.

Season 2 is where the name craigers comes from.

2 Likes

Not sure if you want to stay in suspense, but they have a you tube series that just started. Gives you a chance to put a face next to a voice.

2 Likes

They certainly suck you in, I binged it all over the last couple months. It’s made me practice more this winter (golf ended in November for upstate NYers) so I’m curious to see how I come out swinging in the spring. If it’s better than usual credit will probably go to mike and Eli (and Adam young / Irish Mike / Dr Jason)

2 Likes