Did an Edel Fitting today

Shout out to Brandon at Hunting Creek… he’s a new assistant pro, and one of the fitters for Indiana… We had a fun time on the putting green today, and a new Edel has definitely been added to the wish list.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Edel and it’s fitting process… it’s actually fairly interesting. The first thing they do is attach a mirror to your putter, set up a laser lined up at a ball (With a backstop behind the laser) and have you set up to hit a put at the cup size disk holding the laser…

You set up, they remove the ball… and viola! Where you are actually aimed pops up on the backstop behind the ball. From there, they determine if your setup is consistently wrong (always left of target) or inconsistently wrong (left and right on various attempts)… Different head shapes apparently have different impacts on your ability to aim, so they have 5 different heads… I was inconsistent with my aim, so we went with the mallet style I’m currently gaming. Nothing wrong with sticking with whats comfortable!

From there, we played with various neck styles (offset, onset, straight) and alignment aids on the putter (apparently they have less of an impact). For me, I ended up with a straight neck putter, which is not something I’ve ever gamed… I’ve been a bad putter the majority of my life, so getting fit into something totally different did not surprise me. So know we have my aim sorted out, we moved onto weight… (there is probably more shaft length fitting done for others, but I’m 6’4" and play my putter at 36.5, so my only option was the longest shaft at 36 inches…)

Brandon slapped a 10g weight into the heel, and basically said he likes to adjust weight at the hands, and see how consistent he can help me get… My biggest putting problem is I don’t roll the ball consistently… I just never feel comfortable over the ball on the course… I’ve put in a decent amount of reps and used various challenges and games… it’s still a consistent problem.

Edel is unique in they have 2 different weights for the grip… a counterbalance at the top, and a middle weight that is… in the middle… interestingly, they actually have a tool to adjust where it is in the top of the club in 1 inch increments… Brandon basically stuck with between 6-7 inches for my putter… Had we had more time, we probably would have played with this variable a little bit more.

He lined up a string at 15 feet and told me to roll the ball towards it… in an ideal world, I wouldn’t have seen the result, as I was consistently adjusting speed and the goal was to see if I was making a consistent stroke… it’s an interesting challenge, but as we toyed with the weights, I could definitely see a distance on the green and feel a difference in my hands.

Eventually, we hit a winning combination… I don’t remember the specs, he has them for me if I decide to order one (dear wife, please order me one for Christmas)… but I have to say it was a very fun process and definitely unique from anything I’ve done in the fitting world.

My key takeaways:
I need to improve my aim from behind the ball… whether that requires a new putter or just different practice, I’m not sure… but there was a noticeable difference as we changed hosels, so there is definitely something there.

My distance control can be improved, and I think it might be a gear based decision.

Brandon is awesome. I’m trying to get him to join up here… He’s well acquainted with the strategy based golf stuff and he’d be a fun member to have…

5 Likes

Good stuff! Over read about Edel putter fittings before - really interesting how they do it.

Not to be trite or glib, but … IMO … I’d say that once you have a good lined-up setup down - whether that’s with a new putter or not - you still need to return the putter face back to square at impact, consistently.

So, at impact, stroke path and face angle are key to rolling the ball on your intended line…

1 Like

Agreed. You still have to hit your aim… interestingly arc and face control aren’t part of the fitting conversation.

It was definitely a neat experience.

1 Like

The Edel fitting process is second to none. I had so much fun during mine and learned SO MUCH I didn’t know about putting or putter mechanics. I reached out to David Edel after my fitting praising the process and putters he’s developed and he wrote back to me. Very nice man whose golf knowledge is out of this world and simply just wants to see people play better.

My wife and I popped in on their production site on a trip we took to Texas and they welcomed us graciously (after writing that we would be coming through). The craftsmanship, attention to detail, and dedication of the folks working there is something all companies should strive for.

I don’t game my Edel anymore, but that putter will always hold a special place to me because I know the love and care that went into creating it.

ALMOST went with a new Edel after my recent fitting at Club Champion.

3 Likes

It’s funny how many people rave about the edel process and how few of them still game an edel…

My cousin did the exact same thing! (He’s now playing a lab blad, or was 5 months ago).

I’ve gamed five putters in my life… Ping anser. Zebra something, hog mallet, two ball and now my tank 7.

It’ll be interesting to see if I keep the edel… but I can’t imagine swapping out from it any time soon… if I buy one :star_struck:

1 Like

The issue with my Edel is it was fit for a very unstable, inconsistent putting stroke I no longer have. It’s not a fitters job to fix my stroke. It’s their job to fit me for the best thing to work for my stroke and they did that for sure.

I spent a lot of time and put in a ton of work to fix my stroke, so I sort of worked my way out of the Edel. That’s the only reason I don’t game it anymore.

3 Likes

Random aside, Kentucky shut down restaurants again… just got off the phone with my bison guy and I have some wet aged ribeyes headed my way… pretty excited.

On the putter front, I hear you… new putter stroke makes sense to get a new putter! Did you do fit for aim and consistency with the new putter? Use a SAM?

I have to say that more than anything, the light head heavy grip makes sense to me and felt right… I’m also not sure anyone makes a hosel like the one I liked (no offset)

1 Like

I did SAM at Club Champion. Heavy head, semi-heavy weight in the middle of the shaft. EVNRoll Black ER2. Played with the demo they gave me twice and I’ve never putted better. Mine is in and getting stamped today, so I should have it this weekend. Very excited.

1 Like

I"m tempted to go do a Club Champion fitting… just to get on a SAM…

Thought my biggest flaw in putting is consistency (and aim, per the Edel fitting)… so the Edel would knock out two problems for me… It’d be a lot of fun to have the resources to get fit by multiple different places and see if there is “one best putter” or if everyone has a solution that works in different ways.

My current gameplan is to pull the trigger on the Edel and see how it goes… my putting can’t get WORSE.

So my cousin is going back to Edel after he and I chatted about them… he’s headed to Austin to see dave next week… I’ll update if he has anything interesting to say.

So the wife has approved the Edel for a Christmas present… my fitter basically is just giving me the specs to order it (to save me money)… I’m definitely getting cold feet!

I’ve never spent anything near that amount on a putter, with my last one being purchased with shop credit in 2012.

Obviously no one is going hungry when I spend $500 on a putter, and if it works, it will be in the bag for probably 20 years… I’m just bad at spending money on clubs in large chunks.

My cousin enjoyed his fitting (And a burger at P Terry’s in Austin)…

1 Like

Do it! I just plunked down $500 myself (wife-approved), and I justify it this way - if I get a putter I love and that fits me, hopefully I will stick with it for numerous years, as opposed to bargain hunting multiple used putters every year.

2 Likes

Im going down a slightly different path and hoping for a similar result…

My edel fitter no longer does edel fittings and my favorite part of the putter was the weighting under the grip… which he can still do.

So I’m going to get fit for a seemore, and if Cory and I can’t get it specked exactly right, I’ll just use my fitter and add weight into the shaft after the fact.

I’m hoping that gets me the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

Ive probably gamed five putters every three years. Including edel. :rofl:

I know its not me, so im waiting for technology to catch up to me.

Putting is such a different game within the game. If you are not good at putting, it seems terribly overweighted compared to ball striking.

Im all for ending play as soon as ball reaches green. :rofl:

1 Like