Chasing Scratch: Podcast Discusssion

Kudos to you! Plenty of great articles on the main site, and some fun conversations on this side.

And of course, kudos to you craigers

2 Likes

I was in a meeting for work and did it there. I had a silent chuckle to myself.

1 Like

@Jon what a good conversation, enjoyed it a lot. I especially laughed when they were so serious and you were expect irreverent movie quotes. Kudos to you for working one in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I couldn’t let the episode end without getting a movie quote in! For some reason my brain recalled that one even thought I hadn’t seen them over in over a decade :joy:

Thanks for listening!

2 Likes

This show was much better when these two actually played golf on a regular basis and discussed how they were playing and how they were trying to get better. The end of today’s show gives me some hope that this is what they are going back to in subsequent episodes. Even though the chase seemed pretty futile, it was fun to listen as they tried.

2 Likes

Haha, so I’m in a group chat with some other chasing scratch guys… we were discussing the same thing today…

Honestly, they’ve never played much golf… mike was under 30 rounds last year… but I’m hoping they find some ways to improve

30 rounds is plenty to both get to scratch and make interesting content especially if they are taking time to practice in between. I still enjoy listening to these two banter but they’re strayed far from what made this interesting in the first place. They definitely don’t seem as if they even like playing as much as they did when they started.

1 Like

I think they have more rounds they haven’t talked about… I think they will get back to the “regular” part of the podcast next week, but who knows?

I think they are in an interesting spot, as they need to be playing more to improve but still have all the regular stuff preventing them from playing more… it will be interesting to see if they change anything

Mike has posted 9 rounds and Eli 13 in 2021 so there is some golf that we aren’t hearing. I just miss the complete lunatics we had when they started all this. It’s still very entertaining but not the same.

2 Likes

I agree… but I’m still hopeful… I’ve enjoyed the episodes thus far, but other than the chat with Jon, it hasn’t been very golf focused… it’s somewhat leaked into being a podcast about a golf podcast…

It will be interesting to hear next weeks episode, and I still very much enjoy their overall banter… but I would like to hear more about their plans to get to scratch.

@jon listening to this weeks episode… I’m not sure how you should feel… happy that Eli is listening?

Jon, so follow up question… I’m on the patreon and Eli mentioned his mediocre iron striking and inability to hold the greens at his home course… he was averaging 300+ with the driver…

This doesn’t make any sense to me… But I’m sure there is an easy explanation… the best theory I’ve heard thus far is his iron swing is just his driver swing, so he’s sweeping the ball and not creating any compression.

Haha I didn’t listen yet, what did he say?

1 Like

It’s hard to say I would definitely need to know a lot more information (seeing him in person and some stats on launch data)

2 Likes

i don’t listen, but there’s many recopies for not holding greens.
A- firm greens
B-angle of decent
3- A well struck shot while going for back of green distance.
I’m sure there’s more, just my 2¢

Well, the totally don’t call you a wet blanket multiple times… I’m sure that’s another Jon they recently had on the podcast…

Eli actually seems to be on board with the smart play… he told the story of punching out and making par by getting up and down… whether or not he sticks with it is a different story.

Mike clipped another tree… I’m not sure he’s ever going to wholly embrace smart golf.

It’s been an interesting season for me to listen to… I’ve spent a lot of time thinking (and writing) about golf strategy and playing smarter golf… it’s had a direct impact on my game… I’m signed up and 100% on board with DECADE (I downloaded the Waking Up app and have started meditating). So I look at some of their “discoveries” and am a little frustrated… They’ve been talking to Adam for 2 years! and they still go to the range and just bang balls with no real goals or drills in mind.

To a certain extent, they seem to always get on the right path, then get distracted, lost and then get reminded of what they are supposed to be doing… They SHOULD be playing a decent amount of golf through the end of August at least, so it will be interesting to see if they actually implement some of the things they should be implementing…

Honestly, I was writing long form reviews on Reddit just to get back in the saddle of writing… but I’ve mostly moved away from “reviews” because it would be me attacking them for not actually following through on anything, and that doesn’t help anyone… (they also do the podcast for fun, so I don’t want to be a reason they STOP doing it).

I am about to launch a Chasing Scratch 90 challenge… It links to both you and Adam as places where people can find good ways to practice.

Yeah, I was just curious if you had any speculation on how someone could hit it 300 but not be able to stop a ball on the green… with modern balls, it seems like he should be easily generating enough loft and spin… I requested their trackman numbers, as I am curious… but they have ignored me, thus far.

I listen to every episode, and they are entertaining, but I don’t think they’ll ever get to scratch. It’s just too hard unless you have tons of time to devote to it, which is tough when you have a family and a job.

And it’s totally relatable, but especially with Mike, they’re always trying something new. I think you may be better off in just working with what you have and perfecting it. It’s awesome how their popularity has gotten them access to all these great resources, but I wonder if it works against them sometimes.

1 Like

It’s funny, as a dedicated enemy of the podcast with free time, I’m launching both a general 90 day challenge and a personal 90 day challenge…

My goal is to basically do the things they’ve said they were going to do and see what happens.

1 Like