Chasing Scratch: Podcast Discusssion

I’m getting back into golf after 20 years off and found the podcast earlier this year… and I just noticed that Practical Golf has a message board! I spend way too much time in the car and listened to the first three seasons in a couple of weeks and have now switched to The Sweet Spot while I wait for more Chasing Scratch episodes.

The best part of the podcast, as someone else mentioned, is the camaraderie between the two. It actually inspired me to get back in touch with a buddy from college that I’ve grown apart from over the years. He came up a couple of weekends ago for the “Inaugural Chubbs Peterson Memorial Michigan Major for People Who Can’t Golf Good and Wanna Learn to Golf More Gooder” and we had an absolute blast. My abs actually hurt for two days from laughing so hard and so often. We played 36 holes in one day and I won. I had a Yeti travel mug made as a trophy and my coffee has never tasted this good! I encourage anyone to get out there and find a few people to try and recreate even a portion of what they have going on in the podcast.

2 Likes

Anyone playing in any of the the Late Summer Run events? Chi, Det, Tor, Buf?

1 Like

Not me, they are headed the wrong direction… i was hoping they’d head south from Chicago.

I will be in Chicago.

1 Like

Me too. See you there. Have you played Dubs before?

1 Like

Mike shot a 73 recently. Going into the late summer run on a high note.

2 Likes

No, I have always wanted to. Just haven’t made it there.

He hasn’t discussed it on the pod yet… should be a dramatic next week.

1 Like

Golf cart has been updated

3 Likes

I feel like this episode (S4:E10) was a return to the “classic” chasing scratch episodes… It was enjoyable overall, and the outtakes at the end were gold.

It’s great to see Mike has found a path forward and has had some early success with it… I’ll be curious to hear how the tour stops go next week.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. The last couple have been about the day to day chase of playing golf and trying to improve and not about buddies trips and being minor podcast celebrities. I’m very interested to hear how he works through this change and the struggles that will come. He did brush over the 94 (which he hasn’t posted by the way) but I hope they document how hard and lengthy a real change can be. I also hope he keeps at it.

I guess I feel somewhat invested in this story arc because it’s similar to me right now. I’ve got a goal of getting to +3 and the ups and downs have been frustrating. I’m better than I was last year and I think my floor is higher but it’s frustrating that my ceiling seems to be at the same spot (or maybe even a bit lower). But, I’m confident I’m on the right path and just need to keep pushing on. I’d love to hear Mike do the same.

Another interesting thing is the disconnect between the way they describe Eli’s game and his results. You’d never know it from the shows but his handicap is a good amount higher than Mike’s.

Mike should just get the tattoo. You are smart. I am dumb. You are right. I am wrong.

His emotions are all over the place but it seems like hes playing better than ever (without consistency). But who gets a swing change and is consistent right away?

Safety First!

It’s really hard to travel that many days, play a lot of golf and score well.

Regardless I am looking forward to Chicago!!

3 Likes

Oh man… this weeks episode is so good… I think it’s better than last weeks episode, and possibly one of the best episodes of the podcast…

4 Likes

Did you get the golden ticket today and are playing with M&E?

2 Likes

I did. I am equally excited and fearful at this point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Play well and we will need to hear inside stories about the guys! I’m in the 230 group, so hope to catch up.

3 Likes

Hope you had fun… I’m looking forward to them transitioning the podcast into a WOLF podcast.

Very curious to see what sort of content is generated by this trip…

I wish I had access to GHIN data and the ability to parse data… it would be very interesting to see how much time it took people to significantly lower their handicaps… I started the season at a 7, don’t have a job and have access to a golf course… I’m down in the 5s now. There are some other factors in there, but dropping a stroke and a half in 5 months (I started playing again in March) isn’t bad. Whether I can maintain that handicap over the next 20 rounds is an interesting question.

1 Like

I dropped my 1.3 in the last 4 rounds. I was a higher index than I had been in over 2 years, but it still can drop really fast.

I think they have a chance to do it, but it would take both of them to get on a late summer run heater. 4-6 good rounds can really lower the index.

2 Likes