Anybody use a chipper?

I love using my chipper around the green. Anybody else?

1 Like

I have a Square Strike wedge and used it heavily for a while. Once I started playing a lot more, I was able to groove my short game with my other clubs, so it’s not in the bag anymore, but for what it is, it’s a fantastic club. I really think anyone who doesn’t play that often or just struggles with shots around the green should definitely keep something like that in the bag as you just step up, take a putting stroke, and are pretty much guaranteed to finish somewhere on the green.

1 Like

I always thought these were a marketing gimic so could never bring myself to use them…

1 Like

That’s a great explanation, and more recreational and weekend players - who want to have fun and make those nervy touch shots around the greens - should definitely consider one.

I’ve worked very hard, for a long time, on my short game - which is NOT to say I’m “too good” for a chipper but my short game is better than my long game and I’ve trained myself to be able to take advantage of the versatility of a wedge.

My wife has one and loves it; maybe a little too much as she sometimes grabs it when she’s further from the green and a wedge might work better. But anyway, I’ve tried hers a few times and in the right situation it does make a difficult shot easier!

2 Likes

Never used a chipper but I have used an Alien wedge.

Pretty sure they’re not USGA conforming, but if you’re just out kicking it around with the fellas or gals, then who cares. Do you, brother.

They’re conforming as irons as long as they don’t have a putter grip and aren’t a “two way” chipper. The Square Strike is conforming, although I don’t expect to see one on tour any time soon.

Maybe Bryson will start using one.

That blows my mind. I would have thought for sure anything “gimmicky” would be non-conforming.

1 Like

Ralph Maltby used to make a club called the SandPutter that was basically a chipper.

1 Like

No, but I’ll use an 8 iron sometimes. Kinda the same thing.

2 Likes

I use my sand iron but play it with my hands forward. If it is a longer chip or if I need to go up a step to the green I pick out a flat area before the green to land on, put the ball further back in my stance, and hit it to bounce into the mound and run up to the pin. Use the sand wedge from within 80m of the green for everything.

I do not but have a high handicap friend that does. He was struggling mightily with chipping so I suggested it to him. His short game has definitely improved since he got it.

3 Likes

I actually reviewed the Square Striker. I think it should be a last resort, but as a “chipper” it functioned well

1 Like

I doubt that my ego would let me get one

1 Like

If it works for you, that’s great… I’ve talked about my bag elsewhere, but you only get 14 slots to fill. My concern with the chipper is it’s (to borrow an Alton Brown phrase) a unitasker… I can hit bump and run shots just fine with a wedge, and think that’s an important shot to have in the bag.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t useful or a good too for someone else’s bag…

1 Like

Long story but after playing with a random guy who was using old hickory clubs, I decided to build my own hickory set of clubs. The old timey equivalent of a chipper is a jigger and it’s a fun club to hit.

5 Likes

I built one years ago. It was pretty good from the rock hard bunkers at my local course. Also useful around the greens. I think I still have one of the heads somewhere. Some days I would probably be better off putting it back in the bag

2 Likes

As far as I kniw, a chipper is legal if it is not 2-sided.

Not trying to be a Golf Elitist here but (after this kind of opening a, comment contradicting the first will surely follow) have you ever seen a Good player use a Chipper?

Just Asking.

1 Like