Anybody use a chipper?

I don’t think you’ll see a single digit with a chipper, the same as you won’t see a tour pro with high lofted hybrids… that doesn’t mean they don’t have a place in someone’s bag.

The putting stroke runner chip shot is something everyone should have in their bag… for me, it’s not worth dedicating a club spot to because I can hit it with my wedges.

If you are a 15 handicap and don’t have that shot, the chipper is probably more useful than a third wedge.

1 Like

No, but they can likely do the same shot with a different club, like an 8 iron. They’re not for scratch golfers, but if you’re someone who struggles to break 100 or 90 and has yips around the greens, they can save you 5 strokes in a round easily. Yes it’s a bandaid, but if you don’t have the time or interest to really practice, they could be one of the most valuable clubs in your bag. I think more high handicappers should have them.

3 Likes

My mom had a 2 way chipper years ago and she was deadly around the greens with that thing. She’d even use it to tee off on a 80-90 yd par 3 on occasion. I’d use it on occasion when I was behind a tree and needed a left handed club to hit.

2 Likes

Be sure to let your mom know that the USGA would like to have a word with her about non-conforming clubs. :wink:
They are incredibly useful for a number of golfers. Nobody bats an eye at putters even though they are only used for one thing because you putt on every hole. High-handicappers are chipping on pretty much every hole as well though, so it makes a lot of sense for them to have a specialty club for that. Just need to get over the stigma.

4 Likes

I tried one ages ago, but then got good with my conventional clubs and realised I already had a few chippers in the bag. The good thing about them is it feels like a putt and therefore you can’t duff one with it, but if you ‘putt’ with a 9 iron, same thing.

2 Likes

I use my 8 iron for a bump and run as often as possible! I like a 9 and use the GW or LW when the terrain calls for it, but love the 8 iron around the greens.

3 Likes

I use my 8-iron a lot as well if there is room to run on the green. It’s probably the most versatile club in my bag for that matter.

3 Likes

It’s interesting, I was always playing the bump and run with a gap or pitching wedge… I’ve moved to the sieckmann chipping method and have found I get a lot more height and spin… it’s really opened up my options as i feel more confident with 7,8,9 in my hands for running chips… just need to improve distance control!

I use the “Rule of 12” chipping method for bump and run…works really well for me on distance control. Basically, if I want to carry 1 unit and roll 4 units…that is 12-4= my 8 iron.

2 Likes

I’m contemplating adding one to my arsenal, just because I think it might improve my scoring while I’m getting laughed at… I really need to see how often I’m hitting shots where it would be useful… I’m not sure how it handles thick rough and most of my around the green shots are out of thick rough.

I’m also not sure how often I play a bump and run… I think it might be a fun club to throw in the bag, though!

1 Like

Based on watching my wife use hers in different situations, close to the green and in rough may be one of the better shots suited for a chipper. Try it out!

1 Like

I love using my hybrid for chipping.

3 Likes

And if the square strike didn’t have that green insert that shows everyone that you’re using it (and can’t use a normal club), then I would think about it. I may get one on ebay and paint it!

1 Like

They should release a pro model…

They are also available in black.

1 Like

Right! Now I don’t have that excuse!