Trying out strange clubs

We’ve all seen the strange clubs that are out there. Alien Wedge, Hammertime Driver etc. Has anyone ever tried them? What was your experience? I used to play with an older guy, as a matter of fact he was with me the very first time I broke par. He had this “chipper club”. It looked like a 8802 putter , but lofted. He let me try it and I guess you could use it, not for me…Joe B…well he was damn wizard with it. Goes to show you I guess the old “Tin Cup” thing…shovel, rake, pool cue…whatever gets the job done right?

2 Likes

I just spent 2 hours cleaning out the golf closet in the garage. My mom and dad have clubs in there from circa 1975 through maybe 5 years ago.

Some wacky wedges and putters, my Dad’s old full set, my Mom’s Callaway “gimmick” set ( hollow back GES- short iron, mid iron, long iron, driver, that’s the full set) and some VERY old 2 and 1 irons. And 300 or so Topflite balls.

I might take a few of the oldest/strangest to the range for fun.
Then it’s garage sale time.

6 Likes

Many are crap (Hammer Driver), some are good for a very specific purpose (SquareStrike). @jon reviewed a few on the main site: https://practical-golf.com/golf-infomercial-products-exposed/

As far as chippers go, there’s a pretty long thread on them, but IMO it would be good for a lot of casual golfers to keep one in the bag instead of an extra wedge or long iron. It would help them more consistently get the ball safely on the green from situations they are in very often (because high handicap usually equals low GIR) without needing much practice. Faster play, lower scores, no real downside.

4 Likes

My mom had one of those, too!! The “Game Enjoyment System” :slight_smile:

I passed it on to a woman beginner friend and she’s loving it - really simplifies things when you’re starting out.

1 Like

My wife has a chipper and loves it! I’d actually originally bought it for her Mom, but now it’s become hers.

Anyway, she’s still working and doesn’t really have extra time to practice … but she’s become quite adept with it close around the greens. And yes … she is starting to figure out when to grab her sand or gap wedge instead of the chipper.

1 Like

They’re well made clubs, but that crazy loud TINK at impact is a head Turner!

1 Like