Your Winter Practice Goals

I’m going to set my SkyTrak up in the garage. Then I’m going to figure out how far each of my clubs goes by hitting each one 20 times. Carry and total. I’m going to make a note of two things - average and shortest. Then I’ll know if I have to carry it x yards to clear disaster then what club to hit to be sure of clearing it.

Then block practice partial wedges. 20 shots to 50 yards. Then 20 to 60 yards and so on. Learn what each feels like. Then how to adjust those up or down. I remember a video I saw with Phil talking about how semi rough adds 3 yards and if it’s with grain or into grain what does that do. Choking down an inch - what does that do etc. should be able to figure out every yardage in the book.

That and back into P90X. Get myself fitter stronger and lighter. Lastly my super speed sticks too. So fitter stronger lighter and longer. We can dream right?

Do what most amateurs hate. Work on putting and chipping in the winter. Both can be done relatively easy indoors. Ping ping balls are a great way to get your chipping under control. The ping pong balls get spiny or crack if you hit them improperly. They give lots of feedback and they don’t ruin the house.

I plan on trying to keep working out. I’ve always been very active and fit but not golf specific fitness I’d say. So that’s a different approach for me right now my club head speed is from 90-100 and I’d love to get that up. The local golf store also has a small area for demoing clubs but they don’t seem to mind when I bring in a club or two of my own to practice. I’ve been working on hitting different targets not great yet. I can hit hooks and slices but trying to get the ball to land on Target with a driver is tough.

2 Likes

Win Powerball, move to Sarasota.
Northeast problem solved.

4 Likes

I’d probably go Souther California or Arizona.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be great to live down south all winter, and return north for summer golf! For myself, would like to get an Optishot for indoors!

2 Likes

My parents alternate between Idaho and Palm Springs, California…

My dad plays probably 300 rounds a year.

Living in Florida I’ll be able to play outside longer than most. So I’ll take advantage as much as I can. Also plan to set up some chipping targets in my (small) back yard and buy a putting mat.

I’ve been into fitness and strength training my entire adult life so my focus physically is on learning how to use what I have with my golf swing. I’m big and powerful already but I can’t put it all into the swing yet. So taking online lessons and dialing in my mechanics is big for me.

1 Like

That’s my idea of heaven!

My winter goals are the following:

• Keep working on the swing changes from a lesson I recently had. (needed to get rid of the two way miss.)
  • Putting Technique - Also had a lesson my putting stroke, I need to get it dialed from longer distances 40+ feet. Should help with the slower winter greens.
  • Seeing how much speed I can gain using the Fit4Golf app. Once I am comfortable with swing changes I plan to start using SuperSpeed again.
3 Likes

@Fit_For_Golf has a great program. Mike is here if you have questions!

It appears that off-season training probably begins for me this week :confused:

1 Like

Jon, does the fit for golf routines require kit and a gym? Heard great things but i don’t use gyms and only workout at home.

It doesn’t… really just need resistance bands and some space.

Other stuff helps but isn’t necessary.

1 Like

I have bands and a pull up bar as i do purely calisthenics.

What other kit does it need?

1 Like

Yuck! Time to go inside the garage.

2 Likes

Weights for squats and deadlifts help… he likes medicine ball throws a whole bunch… he has a whole hotel room series that is very light on gear.

This is why I got a SkyTrak: if you’re going to be golf-obsessed while living here, you have to have something to use during the long winter.

2 Likes

I’m starting to realize that early end to golf. I had to take a job that requires me to travel to just outside the Chicago area for a week at a time. The weather is getting lousy, at least I can practice inside and back home in Vegas for a week at at time. I can work on consistent contact whilst inside and play while at home. It’s kind of a blessing in disguise, slows me down a bit.

2 Likes

For me, the big benefit I think comes for my son (who’s 7). He’s a very avid golfer, but being effectively barred from the course for six months a year is likely good for preventing him burning out on golf and keeping his hunger for the game sharp.

4 Likes