Your Winter Practice Goals

Where I live (Michigan’s UP), the end of the golf season is approaching.

The leaves are changing. Likely, we’ve got about a month before the course closes. And in our neck of the woods, we’ll have almost six full months of snow cover on the ground before spring. So winter practice is literally half of my year here.

With that downer of an intro, what are you plans for this golf off-season? What are you hoping to work on, and how are you going to measure your improvement? Why are you working on the things that you are?

For me, I’m planning to hit the weight machine in my basement as soon as the course closed sign goes up at the course. I’ll be incorporating some of the work from Fit for Golf (Irish Mike, for those who follow the Chasing Scratch podcast). I’m in decent shape, but getting stronger is the goal here.

Obviously, I’ll measure that in part just by keeping records of what exercises/weights I’m doing each day. But I also have the Swing Speed radar, and so I want to get back to doing the SuperSpeed training (I have a set of DIY sticks for that) this offseason as well.

So that’s all in the fitness/speed category. For my swing, I have a PlaneMate that I’ve toyed around with by didn’t dedicate myself to during the season. I’m hoping to work with it extensively this winter, really engraining the feel of shallowing the shaft at the top of my swing.

What’s on your agenda?

5 Likes

I’m also going to work on swing speed this off season with the same system mentioned above.

The hardest part about each winter for me is I completely loose all short game feel (I live in Montana). I have the put out system for putting, but that only helps with shorter puts. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep wedge feel and that critical long putt distance feel when outside is not an option?

1 Like

For me, my answer there is my SkyTrak. Absent a simulator or other launch monitor, some kind of chipping net might be your best bet. During quarantine, there was a ladder drill challenge on social media: set up a ladder and put an empty ball box on each rung. Try to knock each box off sequentially. While it isn’t the same as having the feel of a 35-yard shot vs. a 40-yard shot, having control of wedge trajectory would have to help bring the distance feels back in the spring.

Having to hit a specific target with a wedge is better than nothing.

Fit for Golf - Strength Training
Trainfuly - Mobility Training
SkyTrak on the way for garage practice

I’m working on enclosing the golf section in my garage so I can add heat. I’ll get pictures up when I’m done.

2 Likes

I want to improve my fitness, but that’s really just for me and not strictly golf related. I worked out regularly last winter, lost weight and felt great, but I’ve slacked off this summer. I have a fair amount of weights in my basement and plan on replacing the rubber floor mats soon. I added a larger tv and need to clean it up more to make it more appealing to be down there lol.

Last winter I snagged a Rukket pop up net along with a mat and used it in my garage. I mainly focused on tempo, balance and not overswinging which are big issues for me and I think it helped. I want to do that again, but I’d also like to work on my swing speed and maybe add some sort of monitor for further feedback. I may look for some sort of larger heater as it does get cold out there and that deters me from practicing.

Finally I want to work on my putting. I have found a few drills that really seem to help me. One is just pushing the ball to the hole and the other is putting it on a thin metal yardstick to the hole. I have a tendency to pull or push putts and these drills really help me. I have a mat, but may look for a new one.

Hopefully I may even see something else I should and can try here in the forum.

My plan is to crush weights and do SuperSpeed. I hit the ball plenty far, but as a lot of guys have shown us, there’s a whole other level of speed out there and I want in.
Also going to putt my face off on my Birdie Ball putting green using my PuttOut tools.
Hit bombs. Drop putts. That’s what 2021 is going to be all about.

4 Likes

My winter practice is going to involve SuperSpeed protocols, Fit for Golf and Mobility work with The Ready State

I have already incorporated Mindfulness Meditaton via Headspace into my daily routine.

I’ve already got my 30 yard “hole” with hitting mat in backyard. Set up Accelerator mat, eyeline mirrors in the basement. Fingers crossed for a hitting net in the garage.

To me, as a father of two littles, fitness and fundamentals are the two things I can always focus on.

2 Likes

Tell me more about the mindfulness meditation.

I have used the HeadSpace app for a while now. Meditation is an excellent practice to adopt. On the golf course, it is a useful tool for mental/emotional side of the game.

1 Like

Combining SuperSpeed and Fit for Golf is LETHAL. Your clubhead speed will skyrocket!

5 Likes

Going to download this. Thanks so much for the recommendation.
Always working on keeping my head in the right place as a golfer and a dad.

2 Likes

Would love for you to share the set up when your done!

1 Like

In-home gym is just about complete. Plan is to spend the off-season on Fit For Golf + SuperSpeed training.

1 Like

Like the post about using Plane Mate over the winter. I think that would be better than hitting balls into a net, as you don’t really know where it’s going and you can Ingram some bad habits over the winter! Swinging the Plane Mate all winter without actually hitting balls could have you feeling naturally on plane by the time the snow melts!

I’d also like to practice lag putting, but all indoor putting mats and aids seem geared toward making 3-10 footers. Speed is everything and I’d like to do some random practice on 15-50 footers. But my house isn’t even that big! Any ideas?

Yes, 2-3 trips to Phoenix.

1 Like

I’m going to spend the winter working on my overall health. Diet, cardio. Maybe some “power workouts” from Irish Mike but more as an afterthought than the main emphasis. What good is being able to hit 170 ball speed at 50 if you end up in hospital with myocardial infarction at 55? Training for power is relatively easy. Training for overall health and wellness requires more dedication and time commitment, but has a higher long-term payoff. Sorry if this comes across as “holier than thou.” Remember, this is my intention. Reality will probably be sitting on the couch eating winter comfort food, and occasionally tossing the medicine ball around.

2 Likes

Lol! Yoga, mobility drills, roll outs, core, eating less, cardio, some strength training. Good for golf, good for life! It’s hard work when you turn 40! :rofl:

24’X3’ indoor/outdoor carpet in cellar (putting/chipping) & an optishot in garage (it’s kinda wonky), but keeps me swingin and putting thru the NEPA winters.

Be like Bryson, take lessons and roll putts on my putting carpets,

I’m in the same boat. I have moved from Sydney to Norway and the 6 month winters are killing me.

My goals are:

• Put on 5kg, I’m not strong enough to play top golf.
  • Get a launch monitor and start getting really good at understanding all my key numbers, both swing related and ball related
  • Get an online coach and do what I can to improve my swing
  • Work on my wedge matrix so I have exact numbers for different swings with my wedges all the way out to a full PW.
  • Dial in all my clubs so they are optimised for my swing. Aim to have this done before the start of next season
  • Hopefully take a trip to Spain if it’s possible, get some sun and play some golf! Norway is not the place to move to if you are an avid golfer :slight_smile:
3 Likes