Write about your Round

I had league last night at my club. It felt like I’d never held a wedge in my life. My woods and putter kept me in it, but oof what a mess of a round that could have been a real good one had I even hit my wedges half decent. Scrambled together a 37, but was one of those rounds that could have either been 5 strokes better or 5+ strokes worse.

Today I had the day off and went and played Indian Creek where they play the KFT Pinnacle Bank here in town. I love that course. It’s always in great condition. It rewards good shots and really punishes missed fairways with thick, grabby rough. My ball striking was night and day from yesterday. I’ve been super dialed in with my woods all year and that continued today. My putter is coming around and those 7-12 footers are starting to drop rather than sneaking by or hanging on the lip. I made one bogey, five birdies, and an eagle on my way to a super clean 66. Even better, I had the course almost to myself on an absolutely perfect day. It was a round that has me excited about getting back into competition this year.

4 Likes

Awesome! Good luck in competition out there, my friend!

1 Like

Played a club tournament this weekend and it was pretty much like almost all my other rounds. Bogey golf and I froze in the gusting winds. I love golf, but I am really sick of the weather so far this year. Every round is a constant battle with gusting swirling wind. It was supposed to be a high of at least 60, but I looked at my phone at the halfway mark and it said 48 with a wind chill of 36. I did not dress warm enough lol. Hopefully warmer weather is coming.

4 Likes

Feels like the year where we skip “nice spring” and jump straight from dreary and rainy to hot and humid

2 Likes

This is sort of how Omaha is every year. It’s 40, windy, and wet for six weeks, then it’s 90 with 8000% humidity for four months. This is why I had zero issue with dropping the money on a Skytrak. Seriously considering relocating my family so we (I) can play year round.

3 Likes

Had the best driving round of my life 11/14 fairways, crushing it, golfmetrics had me at +4 driving (season average before the round was a 4. However… hit irons as bad as possible - season average on approach going into the round was +1 and this round i was a 12!!!.

1 Like

Well, Bigdad, if you can pull that off, I doff my hat to you.

1 Like

Wife is all for it. I work from home. She’s a highly specialized pediatric nurse who can get a job anywhere. Only thing holding us back is having family close and the guilt of moving away from them.

But for year round golf weather I feel like I could get over that guilt pretty quickly. We’d just be the family’s winter getaway spot.

4 Likes

Good luck! Real problem is finding an affordable place where you can golf year round… California isn’t cheap!

I guess there is always Alabama!

1 Like

I don’t think there’s enough money in the world to get me to live in California, but Arizona or Texas…

Yesterday I took a selfie video of a few iron swings. UFR, noticed a couple egregious issues. Backswing started to the inside. Also, rather than maintain through impact the 45* (or whatever) angle, my right shoulder was “leveling off” to the ground through impact. So, a totally exhausting 5-6 mile walk in a peat bog today. Shoe-top rough and plug-n-pop (out of ball mark) fairways.

However, it was good practice to keep shoulders at their angles through impact. Worked on rehearsing takeaway, a la Justin Thomas, to start club back. As a bonus(!) I reinforced not overswinging on backswing. The ball striking was a lot better. Fortunately, these adjustments are rehearsable in our den. :wink: Hopefully, I can build off this for next round.

1 Like

Damn, always a downside. Good luck with your plans!

3 Likes

Fort worth is awesome… make some buddies at colonial

San antonio is good too… close to the coast and the hill country… seriously considered moving from Austin… san marcos and new braunfels are gems in between atx and san antone on some awesome rivers

Stayed in austin with insane home prices and property taxes but have the grandparents here for some free child care which is hard to beat…

2 Likes

Ooh I really need a winter getaway after this pandemic :wink::laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah, Texas is interesting right now… Fort Worth is nice! Dallas sucks. (I grew up there)… the other problem is finding a golf club to play at… Dallas has some nice country clubs but not many mid range options as far as I know.

If we move our door is open.

2 Likes

@Bigdadenergy Come on down to Oz. Coldest day last year was 10degs and hottest was 40degs here in Adelaide

3 Likes

Y’all have super scary insects and animals. I change enough diapers as-is. I don’t need to start wearing them myself.

1 Like

Sharks and box jellyfish only get you if you go in the water, snakes run away unless you corner them and I can’t remember the last time I saw a poisonous spider.

1 Like

Australia is the best country on earth.