Write about your Round

Came up to Lake Tahoe for a first summer trip with my family and got out to play at Edgewood yesterday (where they play the American Century celebrity championship in a couple weeks).
First off, beautiful course in great condition and an amazing setting for golf:

I didn’t play awful, but not really well. A few pars, bunch of bogeys, and a double. No penalty stokes, just below average in all aspects for me.

Something else I figured out is that playing at my club has ruined me for handling slow golf mentally. Our round wound up at 4:50, which is too slow, but probably not unusually so for a really tough, long course that gets a lot of not-great golfers on it. Didn’t help that we were a threesome and all kept it in play. Back when I consistently played public courses, I could handle waiting on every shot without much problem, but yesterday it was a real struggle to stay mentally with the round and it definitely cost me some strokes.

8 Likes

It’s funny how an extra few minutes each hole can throw you off. When I first took up golf (30 years old) I only played the public courses near my house on the weekend and a 5 hour round was the norm. I would play with my father-in-law a few times each year at his club and we’d be done in 3.5 hours…I felt like I could hardly keep up, but did prefer that pace.

For the past 5 years I have been at semi-private clubs and we’re done quickly, but the membership has increased drastically this year and the pace has slowed. The last tournament was mostly members and it was a 5 hour slog (we had only a 3-some)…I was dying lol. I feel like I should be able to handle it since it was no problem years ago, but I can’t seem to.

1 Like

I can’t handle slow play… just kills me.

3 Likes

It’s the bane of my existence. Gonna be 106° here for league tonight and I just know it’s going to be a 2:45 nine holes.

2 Likes

Got to my course (not private) this morning at 5:57am…at least 30 cars parked at the gate waiting to get it. No way I could do a quick 9 and be back for my 9am meeting…so I turned around, came home a put a pork butt in my smoker for my first smoke…

3 Likes

Write about your BBQ: An off golf thread

1 Like

Hit some goals and broke some plateaus today. First ever under par round and essentially a round in the 60s.

Per my SG Data post, I’ve been focusing on my approach shots and driver the last few days when I practice.

Played early this morning on a 6800 yard course. Nice drive to start then hit a GW to 8 feet. Drained the putt for a nice birdie putt. Added a couple more birdies and a bogey on the front. Jumped out hot the back and had a back to back birdies on 12 and 13. I’m always aware of my score in my head so knew I was in uncharted territory at 4 under through 13. Just missed a birdie putt on 14. Easy 2 putt par on 15.

Back to back par 5s had me thinking big things. Hit my second on 16 into a very wide and deep bunker green side. Not a good lie and left it in the bunker. Got the next one out to 20 feet. Rolled that in to save par.

Off 17 tee, tugged my drive and had to layup on my second shot. 3rd shot to 25 feet and a cozy 2 putt par.

Stepped to 18 at 4 - under with wind left to right and water on the right. Aimed my drive in the left rough but got it a little high and wind started carrying it. Saw it land but couldn’t tell where it finished. Walked up, and it’s 1 foot into the water. Took my drop and hit an 8 iron to middle of the green and 2 putted for bogey.

3-under 70 for my first time breaking par. Pretty cool stuff. The mental game training from Golf State of Mind played a big role in staying present and following my processes throughout. Highly recommend!

6 Likes

I didn’t completely suck tonight. I hit three really bad shots, but pieced together a -1, 35. I had a session with my swing coach yesterday for first time in a long time. Working on a couple things that are very different, but feel good and aren’t scary to change. So far so good. I hit some really good shots tonight. Left three putts 4 inches short, so the scoring opportunities were there. Overall very happy to see red figures and a couple birdies drop after a rough couple weeks.

4 Likes

Monday 1 off my best 79, Thursday my worst round of the year by far 109. Started shanking full shots and chips. Hit 2 gir and three putted them both. No pars. Tee to green 75 shots(best 44) This is the third time I have had shanks take over my game. And just before I got the shanks I finally started to hit straightish irons. Now to avoid the shanks I have to aim right, aggresively pull my hands in and hit pull draws. I am very apprehensive about my next round on Sunday. Praying I don’t hit any shanks.

2 Likes

Last time I had the shanks bad was June last year. Half my rounds that month were 100+ and the other half in the 90’s when I usually average in the high eighties. One positive, we had 40mm of rain yesterday and the course is soft and maybe a bit muddy and we will have preferred lies.

1 Like

Played a course I haven’t played before with a guy I met online (he’s on the chasing scratch patreon with me)… it was fun but a slow and windy round.

I made two putts outside of kick in range and had many 6-10 footers miss… a number of factors, but I need to get back into my putting practice routines.

Shot a mediocre 82 on an easier course than I’m used to… 2 dumb doubles… one from 100 yards.

I’m sure it’s kinda lame for some of you fellas, but coupla thins, below average chips, poor 1st putts & P strokes. Net +1; 1 to 2 minute pause on almost every shot, after 5th hole, due to inconsiderate 2 some in front of me. Still a little flinchy with driver after adjusting to neutral bias.

1 hdcp. hole (yellow X’s); water both sides landing area. 2 hdcp. hole (orange X’s), peninsula green.
laurel 9-10 hole
After a lifetime playing here they still make adams apple swell & dirt chute pucker. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Had a very nice Father’s Day round with in-laws today at a local Class-A country club. Tooled around on a pleasant, windy day in 40-45=85. Front nine could easily have been 38/39. Back nine had a couple bad swings and a couple asinine mental errors. Golf, baby! It was a pleasant day and a Good Time Had By All.

5 Likes

Woohoo no shanks. 91 21 over with 3 bladed 3/4 wedge shots and three 3 putts and a putt chip putt. Hit 4 gir for one par and 3 other pars from up and downs. Fluffed a chip and on another hole after finding the lake made a poor decision that lead to a quad. Still any shot that isn’t a shank is a good shot for me at the moment.

3 Likes

Shot 86 twice this weekend. Decent for me lately, but both were still hot and cold. On the plus side being hot won me some skins money both days.

I did find a better swing here and there. Earlier in the year I worked on quieting my “handsy” swing which led to some good scores, but I somehow ended up quieting my whole swing = no leg action and holding everything off = short weak fades. I was able to get my legs into it more this weekend and release the clubhead maybe every other shot. It’s definitely nicer to hit a drive 250 instead of 210.

3 Likes

Not my round, but had a nice chat with my dad last night… he was in a member guest with his buddy… they were two down on the leaders, and playing them in the final match… everything was square at 7, so they needed to win the last two holes… his partner made a par on the 17th and he made a par on the 18th and they advanced… 20ish person horse race (apparently if you didn’t lose a match, you automatically advanced to the horse race)… they made it past the first hole with a par, won the chip off on the second when his partner holed out… and then got third after knocking one in the water.

He was really excited to tell me about it.

4 Likes

Weird but fun Father’s Day round yesterday. Played with a few friends who are good players, and we decided to play the tips, which I rarely do. Doubled the first after leaving a shot in the sand. Doubled the par 3 second after popping up a hybrid into a hazard (never pop up a hybrid). Parred the third, then doubled the fourth after pull hooking into someone’s backyard.

Decided I was pressing too hard and committed to enjoy the day with my friends. Really didn’t think about score the rest of the day, but finished my final 14 holes one over par in the most unremarkable way possible (FWs, GIRs to 20 feet, 2 putt). Weird game.

1 Like

I decided this weekend I’m going to start getting out for a super early 9 before I start work. I work from home and have super flexible hours, so no reason not to.
I went out to my club, TPC Omaha at Deer Creek, and played with an older guy I met on the range last week. We got around in 1:25 in perfect weather and had a blast.
The swing changes I’m making are coming along really nicely for as little time as I’ve had to work on it. I’m making much more solid contact across the board and really controlling my wedges much better. I made a bunch of putts and finished with a super clean 33 on the back nine.

6 Likes

Getting more and more confident with my swing… but still struggling… (I say struggling, but I’m not playing terrible golf, and I haven’t put in the time)… Shot an 85… 45 / 40… 4 doubles, no birdies… Just some bad shots on a windy day… my wedges were WAY off…

Just continuing to get to things dialed in and hoping my average starts dropping… my putting was significantly better today… but not exactly where I want it. Just need to keep building confidence across the board with my swing.

2 Likes

League, had the ultimate grinder round. Shot a 44, with some really gritty bogeys in there. Had to punch out a few times, and my 3rd shot approaches were great. Couldn’t get a putt to drop all night, but really happy with how I battled.

Planning on getting a lesson in soon, something is just off with my swing and I haven’t been able to self diagnose. Also realized I have gotten out of the habit of getting some swing work in a few times a week at home, so gonna rededicate myself to practicing when I can

2 Likes