Write about your Round

I agree, some doubles are dumb.

A quickish nine hole practice round this morning. The course was soft (no roll at all) and rough was “just get it into play” playable.

• Wedge play showing signs of life. My sub-70yd shots were left of pin, but pin high. I think I was pulling the shot. The 90-100 yd were right of pin (didn’t fully rotate torso) but pin high. I’m confident I can make adjustments at Dome tomorrow.

• Full iron game not bad; the straight takeaway definitely is helping.

• Driving was fine. Several “power” fades had the expected trajectory. I noticed that my improved posture allows me to get a fuller shoulder turn. Since this “full shoulder turn” is a new move for me, I was probably at 27/9 tempo until I get more comfortable with it.

• In the Wedge Play, Vol II of the Sweet Spot, Adam advises not to use the PW when hitting pitch shots. He’s, um, correct…

Some good things to work on at the Golf Dome tomorrow. A successful practice/diagnostics round.

1 Like

Interesting… I haven’t listened to it yet… I’ve been playing golf! What reason does he give for not using it to pitch?

1 Like

I was a member at Keene country club and would play three holes sometimes for practice. Private club and rarely see many people unless it’s early morning.

1 is a par 5, ends on 8th tee
8 is a 125-200 yard par 3
9 is a par 4
Only takes 20-30 mins

Not super relavent to your post but it made me think of it

2 Likes

“today’s” PW lie is strengthened so much, it doesn’t provide the loft for the partial and around-the green pitches. For golfers like me (well, he didn’t name me specifically) who don’t generate a lot of clubhead speed, I need loft to help with distance control.

Well done, very well done! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty happy about it… his explanation makes sense! My PW is 46 degrees, but I think I’m OK on CHS… I’ve been really struggling from 100 yards this week and probably need to go back to the high pitch shot instead of grinding the low launch, high spinner.

1 Like

Set out for my morning round, enough time to get in 18 before any meetings and in a generally good mood. Was just sort of swinging the club, letting Arccos keep the score and not looking at the phone at all as I played. Hit a couple of second balls on shots I wanted to test out, but always played the first.
I knew I was playing relatively well. Driver was a bit loose (one ball in a hazard), but had enough pop to keep me out of too much trouble. Wedges were really good, didn’t miss a green with one in hand. Felt really confident with the putter, putting “heads up” and back to my SeeMore. I don’t think I missed my spot on any putts, just a few misreads and a couple lip-outs (but the heartbreakers were birdie putts, not par putts).
Finally checked the score walking off 18, running through the holes to make adjustments for Arccos mistakes. Was pleasantly surprised to see I’d gone 36-36 for a 72 (+2 at my club). 1 double, 3 bogies, 11 pars, 3 birdies. Probably a good thing that I can’t post it.

7 Likes

Nice round!

I’m still working on mental focus and had a 10
Over 82 with 4 doubles… all four featured multiple mistakes…

Ugh. I hate the aerated greens, it’s like playing Plinko!

1 Like

An 82 with four doubles is 14 holes of solid golf. Yeah, doubles can be annoying, not necessarily because they add to the body count, but because they were (probably) due to some silly mental/technical screw up.

I’ve had some self-recrimination holes where I walk off with a double and think “goddammit you’ve played golf for over 45 years, you should know better than this.” My goal in 2021 is to reduce the number of self-flagellations.

Regardless, that was an overall solid round :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s funny… I’m playing better than I was last season already, just having some bad holes… both doubles on the front were after birdies… golf is weird sometimes.

Spending the weekend at the in laws lake house and took my daughter (3) out to play the local municipal course. Threw on some music and just enjoyed hitting some golf shots while enjoying my daughter’s company and her “playing”. She was a great cheerleader as well.

The course got a new superintendent a few years back and he’s been doing an absolute awesome job with the course. This would be considered early season for central Minnesota and the course was already in better condition then some of the more expensive courses in the cities.

I knew I was hitting the ball well. Just playing hit ball, find ball, hit it again golf. No thoughts, no goals. Just enjoying the beautiful evening. Tallied it up at the end. 77 (+6) with 6 bogeys and 12 pars on 11 GIRs. I’ll take that any day of the week.

5 Likes

Headed to my first men’s day and playing with people I don’t know… my goal is to Commit to my fade and stop trying to force a draw… verbalize my shots, putt with confidence and most importantly enjoy a nice sunny day on the course.

4 Likes

So I was supposed to play 18 with a group of guys at my club today, first Saturday morning I’ve made yet. Tee off at 8:25, great temp and a good warmup. Proceed to ball strike the crap out of the ball, Fairways and greens the whole front 9. Shot a 40 while going +3 on the par 5s, burned a bunch of edges on birdie putts just couldn’t get any to drop.

Make the turn and make a nice comfy fairway/green/2 putt on our 10th hole when my wife calls and tells me the glass on our oven door just blew out. So now I’m back home picking up glass and dreaming about what could have been

2 Likes

This went poorly, though I did enjoy my company and had a lovely morning on the course.

1 Like

Impressed your 3 year old can hang out that long

Wouldn’t fly with mine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There was a heavy assortment of snacks :joy:

2 Likes

The 2/3, 3/4, 2/4 whatever rule strikes again!

Golfmetrics handicaps from this weekend:
Driving - 7
Approach - +3 (includes eagle hole out from fairway)
Short - +7 (includes pitch in for birdie)
Putting - 5

I’m gonna be someone if it ever comes together the same round (and then I’ll have to play lottery)

2 Likes

Ha! I’ve definitely had that feeling!

I’m still not comfortable over my full swing… might dial things back with a shorter swing and just keep the ball in play and know where my clubhead is!

Didn’t play a regular round this weekend; played a scramble tournament…and we won! I’ve actually never won a scramble tournament before. Placed 2nd a few times, but usually somewhere mid pack. I played better than I have in a long time. Took a lesson Wed and the pro had me hitting the ball great as usual. Hit the range Friday night and kind of struggled. Saturday I was infallible 15/18 holes. I couldn’t miss a fairway and I was a good 20 yards longer than usual and it was cold out. My irons were great too…that was expected as I ordered new irons last week. I know it was a scramble, but I haven’t hit the ball that well in over 10 years.

3 Likes

You’ve never won a scramble before since you’re not a cheater! You just found the unicorn of scrambles!

3 Likes