Women's Golf Discussion

My sister is a beginner golfer and started with Adams clubs. She then got fitted with Cobra clubs throughout the bag. I don’t remember which ones, but the fitter thought they worked for her as a semi-beginner. They are very forgiving and if your wife is semi-beginner she will like the forgiveness of the clubs. The technology has advanced so much in the last 8-10 years I think any of the newer clubs may suit her game.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen the marshal’s cart for a few years but the one time it singled us out was when I was playing with two lady friends. We weren’t slow and were keeping up with the group in front but the cart went to one of the ladies and told her to hurry up. This made her so angry and was so uncalled for. If the marshal had just done his job and looked at more than one hole than zeroing in on the ladies. Thankfully it looks like we don’t have a pace of play marshal anymore.

2 Likes

That’s happened … twice … to the group my wife and I were in. Both times we’re all right behind the group in front - waiting on them to hit their second shots, waiting on them to hit their approaches, waiting on them to clear the green…

My wife kept her cool and somehow so did I … I just said, “We’re playing along right behind those guys” (only slightly emphasized :wink: while pointing at them)

Second time it happened the marshall wanted to say more to us - which is kind of ironic, actually, if he wants us to be hitting golf balls not talking - and this time I added, “Yes, sir - we would like to be playing faster.”

When that happened to us I wanted to run after the cart to set him straight but the ladies talked me out of it.

1 Like

Love it!
I believe avoiding ‘friction’ on course is a matter of perception; when I was a marshal we had a big sign on the cart: “Player Assistant”, seemed to set a less-confrontational tone.
Not sure how it’s done elsewhere, but we traveled the course backwards, noting times, holes that groups were on. Easy to spot where bottlenecks are and who’s keeping up.
When I’d drive up to a struggling group I’d break out my biggest smile and say “Great news! You can play fast as you want; there’s an open hole ahead!”

3 Likes

That’s funny, but really a much better approach - great job!!

A few years ago I was playing in a group with another woman and my male cousin. The marshal came up to us and said we were playing too slowly. Like you we told him that we had been waiting for the group ahead of us on every tee box, hit their second shots, putt, etc. He told us to pick it up anyway. I was pretty ticked off when I got to the green and hit my greenside shot. The marshal then drove up to us again and said he was sorry but that he had mistaken us for a different group who had been playing slowly. I said that was okay; he had gotten me so mad I chipped in for birdie. Never saw him again for the rest of the round.

3 Likes

Wow! Nancy Lopez’s motto is “Play Happy!” … yours is now, “Play Mad” :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Hey, question for this thread. I have a 17yr old daughter who has been playing with me for about a year. We’ve had some great times together and she really enjoying the game.

Any recommendations on drivers going from a “beginner’s set” to something better but not quite the $500 premium route? She has a long way to improve her scores (which really isn’t a huge interest to her) but she loves to swing hard and watch the ball fly.

2 Likes

Bring her to Dick’s or Golf Galaxy or similar and have her hit some demo clubs ( or if a local golf course is having demo days, make a beeline for that). See which ones she likes best, then hop over to eBay and buy a gently used one on there.

3 Likes

If you’re asking about drivers I would recommend the Cobra FMax offset. My sister is sort of a beginner plays that club. I think they are discontinuing the line so you may be able to get a good deal. I agree that EBay is a good place to look as well as 2nd Swing on the web. They sell used clubs in varying conditions for reasonable prices.

3 Likes

eBay is definitely the route to go here…

How’s her swing speed? If she likes to swing hard, she might not want a light shaft/ flex

3 Likes

Great to see a ‘few’ ladies on here.
My club, Wrotham Heath in England, has a strong Ladies section who play in many of our comps. I love getting paired when they do. Great fun and good golf.
Our lowest handicap is Sharna Dutrieux plus 3.9 and out drives most men. Oh, and one of our club pros, Hayleigh Tottman is a big hitter, fine player, excellent coach and lovely person.
I’m sorry, I can’t understand why so many male players have a downer on ladies golf.

3 Likes

I’m surprised they hadn’t been mentioned sooner; I’ve had very good luck finding things with them. Golf Avenue is another good source.

I don’t either. To me (mid-handicapper) the shots and swing speeds of the LPGA golfers are so much more relatable. I’ll never be able to do the things the PGA pros do; when a woman who weighs 150 pounds is cranking it out there 275 it’s all about technique - and I need to pay attention!

5 Likes

:+1:

It really is! I know Super Speed, and similar, training is all the rage now but I know that … for me … I’ve seen the gains in distance (and accuracy) by improving my technique through lessons and practice.

I’d love to be able to emulate the long, free-following swings of some of the lady pros … not gonna happen but at least that’s the illusion I’ll keep in my head :joy:

2 Likes

Yep. Probably a better mental image for you than imagining Bryson snapping both knees as he screws himself into the ground.

3 Likes

I have been fortunate to be paired with a lot of male players, all have whom been nothing but gracious and friendly. While I do think they are a bit hesitant on the first tee, I believe that if they see you know the etiquette (e.g., don’t step on lines on the putting green, stay out of the player’s peripheral vision, quiet during someone’s swing), then I think it’s all good. Also, it helps if you can keep up with the pace of play and have a game. I have felt like the men with whom I have played have respect for women who play the game and they are nothing but supportive. (It does help to outdrive them once in a while. :grinning:)

3 Likes

Technique and maximizing ball speed will trump speed for most amateur players… though you can work on both at the same time… I’ve basically changed my mediocre gym routine to include stuff that helps me swing the club faster… I’m lifting weights to get healthy, but it’s nice to have a secondary goal with more tangible results…

I’m hoping my daughters take up golf… they are 6 and 8 and went to camp last summer… I’m hoping they go again this year… I think it’s a great sport for everyone. I have fond memories of playing with my grandmother (who just liked looking good on the course) and I’m playing a round with my mom on Friday… she worries less about how she looks, but mainly does it to get exercise.

2 Likes

That’s great! My mother-in-law was in the same camp - it was all about the outfits and matching up colors :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She had fun being out there, kept pace with other golfers and was a joy to play with…

3 Likes