Women's Golf Discussion

Shout out to all lady golfers this week! What are you all changing, since it’s getting COLD out! ( unless you’re in the balmy regions) Last month before the courses close up here…

1 Like

Still playing here ( Upstate NY), just played 9 last night ( was hitting phenomenal drives, but my iron shots were crap, apparently both things can’t peacefully coexist :roll_eyes:)
I’ll play outside until the snow flies or the temps dip to 30. We have a couple of courses that stay open as long as there’s no snow on the fairway…

We have a couple of indoor golf facilities that offer league play, so I’ll be doing that over the winter.

4 Likes

@Aphil hey, welcome. Hope you get some info that’s helpful for you here. There are a few women in the group that could benefit from your knowledge. I added you to that discussion.

1 Like

Coming back to this thread, if there are other women utilizing this forum, they’re being shy! I was wondering, what clubs do you play? Do you have a complete set from one manufacturer?
I’m still learning to hit my clubs, and find ones that really rock for me. Particularly, what’s your opinion on, superlight clubs vs. any other club weights? I have quite a mixture, I hit well with the light driver, and also with the heavy hybrids…can’t hit medium weight woods on the fairway.

Just remember when a shot goes astray … … it’s ALWAYS the club’s fault :crazy_face:

My wife’s bag has evolved into a bit of a mixture … one time out a certain club is “working” and the next time out it’s “broken” (her term). But the pink driver is usually good!

2 Likes

I think most casual golfers of both genders struggle with their fairway woods. I have a new Cleveland 3 Wood that I break up with CONSTANTLY. I promised my coach I wouldn’t even take it out of the bag unless I have a perfect lie on even ground, and the ball is sitting up a bit on the grass.

My irons are Cleveland Launcher hybrids. I play well with them, but as my game improves, I’m starting to outgrow them. I’ll keep playing them at least another season, or until my swing is more consistent. Still working on my swing speed, so not in any hurry.

My driver is about 10 years old, a Ping G400, but I hit it really well and no immediate plans to upgrade.

Cleveland wedges and Ping putter to complete the bag, alongside the aforementioned 3W.

1 Like

My challenge is that I am left-handed and not very many manufacturers make women’s left handed clubs. Ping, Callaway, and Cobra make complete ladies sets. I am now on my third set of clubs for which I got fitted. They are a mix of manufacturers based upon the distance gapping. I have a Cobra F9 driver, Ping fairway woods (5, 7), Ping hybrids (5H, 6H), Taylor-Made M2 irons (AW-6 iron) which I love and wished they made ladies left handed hybrids and fairway metals but they don’t so I had to go with Ping. I have a TaylorMade putter. I do like my fairway woods. They are one of the more consistent clubs for me.

My previous set was all Ping, which was good for me at the time. Ping makes really good clubs too, but I didn’t like the bulky look of the irons.

2 Likes

Good to hear from you, will check out the brands of clubs you mentioned. BTW, I’m a righty, but have 2 left handed hybrids - both are Cobra S3 Max, a 4 and a 6 hybrid - If you (or anyone else) would like them, let me know, $30 for both plus shipping. Distance gapping will be my next challenge - after I know how far I hit all of them consistently. I’m looking for a 60 degree wedge to get up some of those steep slopes.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the info - looked at the Cleveland Launcher HB hybrids, they look nice! I’m looking for the 3 and the 7-9 hybrids, and have a bid in on a used SeeMore putter! Definitely keeping my driver (Adams Idea A2 OS) it delivers! It will be a while before I outgrow my clubs, I’m guessing one would go to either a senior flex or more likely pro-oriented type women’s clubs (whichever those are) rather than game-improvement clubs. I don’t mind being a beginner cause learning is so much fun! And of course nice folks on this forum!

1 Like

My parents course in Idaho has 6 tees… I just played from where my dad told me to.

I’m trying to get my daughters involved in golf, I think it’s a useful life skill and something they can do for the rest of their lives…

Right now, we are just surviving lockdown! (They are 5 and 7)

2 Likes

I actually don’t know any lefty golfers…maybe some others on here do?

I love the Cleveland and Vokey wedges, I found the Cleveland wedges I play at a golf trade show. Ebay is a good source for used clubs, but Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace can be goldmines. I found my Sun Mountain golf bag on FB, $200 bag for $40 and it was barely used.

1 Like

Definitely try those brands. Thanks so much for the offer of the hybrids. I think I’m set. May I ask why you have left handed clubs? :blush:

They were listed as righty! Imagine my disappointment, having anxiously waited for them. I got a refund, but they didn’t want them back.

Been thinking about getting my wife to demo those; and maybe the Cobra T-Rail set, too. She can strike the ball decently but could benefit from something that helps her get the ball higher … and probably also benefit from an upgrade in tech - her Adams / mixed set is now ??? years old.

1 Like

Here is my women’s golf story:

Come up to number 16 on a municipal course and see the next group is still waiting to tee off. 3 girls who are wearing University of Texas golf gear. I have 60 pounds on all of them. Given that I just got a call from my wife telling me I need to get my butt home, I tell them “this is my last hole, do you mind if I play it with you and then I will be on my way”. They say sure and barely pay any attention to me.

16 is the #2 handicap. Dogleg left, downhill, tight, water hazard about 125 from the green. These three girls proceed to step up and hit IDENTICAL push draws that start at the right half of the fairway and gently drift back to center, hit the slope and roll down to a perfect flat spot.

I generally do not get very nervous playing golf, even in little money games. But for some reason, I stepped up to that golf ball and felt absolutely TERRIFIED. Had to do everything in my power to to keep it together and bunt one into the left trees 25 yards behind these girls. Hit a nice recovery and made par, but I always laugh at how “not looking bad” in front of some girls gave me the shakes!

6 Likes

Nothing wrong with Adams! I have their 3 wood, hybrid and irons in my bag… with a gap wedge head on its way!

1 Like

A bit late to the thread, but 4 local courses have ladies leagues. Rare to play a round here without seeing some females playing. A few schools down the line, almost always, get into the state girls golf tourney.

2 Likes

I really like them. I LOVE that I bought them used on eBay for less than half price and they arrived with all of the clubs, except the 7 and 9 iron, wrapped in the original new plastic.
The 7 and 9 looked like they’d never touched the ground.

If I upgrade next summer ( depends on coach opinion, fitting and cost), I’ll post them on here at a very reasonable price.

2 Likes

No, it’s great stuff … it’s just that hers is getting close to 8-9-10(?) years old and I’m thinking that something like the Launcher hybrid style with the wide soles may help her … but we’ll see if I can get her to try new clubs (not a golf “club 'ho” :wink: like me!!)

1 Like

Kinda just anecdotal… my wife and I played a local short 9 yesterday and … prob for the first time ever in all the time we’ve been playing … got paired up with two very nice ladies!

One was a very solid player … I think she hit one slightly stray shot the whole round, otherwise straight ahead! The other lady was not as good … more of a beginner … but quite determined :+1:t2:

1 Like