Women's Golf Discussion

:+1:

It really is! I know Super Speed, and similar, training is all the rage now but I know that … for me … I’ve seen the gains in distance (and accuracy) by improving my technique through lessons and practice.

I’d love to be able to emulate the long, free-following swings of some of the lady pros … not gonna happen but at least that’s the illusion I’ll keep in my head :joy:

2 Likes

Yep. Probably a better mental image for you than imagining Bryson snapping both knees as he screws himself into the ground.

3 Likes

I have been fortunate to be paired with a lot of male players, all have whom been nothing but gracious and friendly. While I do think they are a bit hesitant on the first tee, I believe that if they see you know the etiquette (e.g., don’t step on lines on the putting green, stay out of the player’s peripheral vision, quiet during someone’s swing), then I think it’s all good. Also, it helps if you can keep up with the pace of play and have a game. I have felt like the men with whom I have played have respect for women who play the game and they are nothing but supportive. (It does help to outdrive them once in a while. :grinning:)

3 Likes

Technique and maximizing ball speed will trump speed for most amateur players… though you can work on both at the same time… I’ve basically changed my mediocre gym routine to include stuff that helps me swing the club faster… I’m lifting weights to get healthy, but it’s nice to have a secondary goal with more tangible results…

I’m hoping my daughters take up golf… they are 6 and 8 and went to camp last summer… I’m hoping they go again this year… I think it’s a great sport for everyone. I have fond memories of playing with my grandmother (who just liked looking good on the course) and I’m playing a round with my mom on Friday… she worries less about how she looks, but mainly does it to get exercise.

2 Likes

That’s great! My mother-in-law was in the same camp - it was all about the outfits and matching up colors :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She had fun being out there, kept pace with other golfers and was a joy to play with…

3 Likes

My two daughters went to a golf camp around that age and they had fun but never really got into it. Then a few months before covid, my now 17 year old youngest daughter went to a range with me one day and got hooked and now it our once a week or so daughter/dad time. I feel super fortunate to share these memories together with her.

5 Likes

I couldn’t get my daughters interested. They did enjoy going to the range and they really liked building some clubs with me, but neither wanted to play the game. I can’t complain since, even at ages 21 and 16, they both are still willing to hang out with me otherwise.

2 Likes

Open question to the ladies chiming in here –

My wife wants to try to connect with lady golfers at our club (very male dominated, of course) … any suggestions, comments on how she might find non-competitive/social players…?

1 Like

There are several avenues to meet other women golfers:

The LPGA Amateur Golf Association has chapters all over the country and there may be one where you live. If you look it up on the internet, they have a listing of local chapters. Our chapter here in Sacramento is quite active and is open to players of all skills and handicaps. During the winter, they put on a fun Winter League. Players get paired up in teams of 4 and certain games are played for the tournament. The players on the winning team each win a $20 gift card to the golf superstore in town. After the tournament, everyone stays for drinks and conversation. The Chapter recently completed a “mix it up” league in which lower handicap players played with higher handicap players (some as high as 30’s and 40’s). The purpose was to mentor and support the newer, less skilled players. There is no commitment; the players sign up for only those tournaments that are convenient for them. Again, the players of each winning team after each tournament won $20! It’s not a lot of money but it does drive the competition.

Another potential source is the “Meetup” website. There may be informal golf groups in your town. It is no charge to go to the website and typically the groups do not charge. You only pay for the green fees. There is a ladies Meetup group that plays 9 holes on the local executive course every Saturday. There is no commitment; sign up and play when you can.

She may also want to check the local public golf courses. One of the courses in town, Haggin Oaks Golf Course, has a robust ladies program. It has 36 holes and one side is a shorter course, but challenging with trees and the other side has the championship course.

They have a group that plays 9 holes on Wednesday mornings on the shorter course and a Thursday evening after work 9 hole mentor league. On Thursdays, the newer players are paired with a “mentor”, someone with more experience who teaches the new players the etiquette and rules of golf. They play on the easier shorter course. (about 24 players play the front nine; another 24 or so play the back nine). The more experienced players play the first 9 holes on the championship course without a mentor. Afterwards, those who can, stay for drinks and dinner at the grill. This program is hugely popular and at last count there were approximately 60-70 women who came out last Thursday. The course has a paid “women’s golf ambassador” who coordinates the leagues. All of the women are encouraging and supportive of each other and it is a great playing environment.

I have met many women at the Thursday night league and have made some great golf buddies. We have been able to get together and play outside of the evening league.

Hopefully, your wife will be able to connect with other lady golfers. While I enjoy playing with men, there is something unique and refreshing about playing with other women.

5 Likes

Wow that’s a lot of good, useful info … thank you! Will post it on to her… :ok_hand:

Hi, I did a quick google search for women’s golf forums and found myself here. I am a very new, but determined, golfer here.

Now that I’m making consistent contact (which was not the case 3 weeks ago when I stepped onto a range seriously for the first time and missed 9 out of 10 swings) I am wondering if we’d benefit from a driver with a longer shaft?

5 Likes

Longer shaft generates more club head speed, which can generate more distance.

It also is harder to control and have good impact with a longer club.

If you want more distance and are willing to put in the work, the longer shaft can be great… it’s not something I’d recommend to someone just starting to play, though.

Welcome to golf and the forum!

1 Like

Craig, what if Dorothy also incorporated a higher lofted club head , such as a 3-wood? When my wife played, she would tee off, depending on how she felt at the moment, with either a 5-wood or a men’s S-flex fiberglass 3W. (This was quite a few years ago…)

Dorothy, great to have you here and in the game.

1 Like

I think playing a higher lofted driver makes sense for anyone who’s swing speed is slower than average…

I think playing a longer shaft in a smaller head is asking for trouble though!

I believe you can get drivers in lofts around 14 degrees.

Not sure Dorothys swing speed though! She could be swinging it 100 mph and doing just fine in a 10 degree head.

1 Like

LPGAA member as well ( Upstate NY/Capital Region Chapter).
Can’t say enough good things about this organization or count the number of new golf friends I’ve made through league play!

1 Like

As a newbie myself, I enjoyed taking the group women’s lessons offered at our local public course. Back in '19, I noted that most of the ladies were seniors like myself - a lot of women have taken up golf recently!

3 Likes

Hey there! I just happened upon this forum. I’m creating a women’s golf apparel company and would love to connect with some of you for some general perspective :slight_smile:

1 Like

From what I learned about golf with women from my wife. women tend to be more conservative instead of voice whatever is on their mind to avoid conflict. They may still hold a much stronger opinion than men but not willing to express it freely. Maybe not for the younger generation, however, it is true to my wife’s generation.
Good luck on starting a female dominated thread here. Love to see it happen.

1 Like

I’d be happy to give you my thoughts. I’m a female golfer who has been playing golf about 10 years. My handicap is about 15, from a low of 13. I play in competitions as well as recreationally. You may also want to check out the Facebook group Women Who Golf. It is a very active forum and you will get a lot of opinions.

1 Like