Where do you shop for equipment

Hoping this can help new comers make their decision where to buy equipment.

Interested to know where everyone shops for their equipment and you you all feel about big box stores?

Do you guys prefer shopping at Golf Galaxy, Dick’s, PGA Super Store, some other big box store in your area?

Or do you prefer local golf shops or online. Why do you prefer one over the other?

2 Likes

I like my local store, golf headquarters. I like supporting them, I like the staff and they are competitive on pricing.

I like direct to consumer snell golf balls… also a small company and they make a quality product.

I do some shopping for random stuff on forums and eBay… love some used drivers. Used market is crazy right now, though.

2 Likes

Definitely have traditionally done my local golf shop, but after demoing two types of Sub 70 golf clubs looks like I’ll be dipping into the direct sale market for the first time shortly.

4 Likes

Online only for me. The only time I step into a big box store is to get my grips changed.

2 Likes

I’ve gone full custom fitting through Club Champion for clubs. I have a fitter here in town I really trust and it’ll be hard for me to not go that route in the future.

Apparel I get online mostly. Rockbottomgolf always has cheap deals on shirts and shorts and stuff. I get nice Adidas shirts and shorts on there all the time and that’s my preferred golf clothing brand.

2 Likes

I like my local Austad’s for most equipment and apparel. I also buy my gloves there.

I do buy the following things online:
-Snell Golf Balls
-Grips from grips4less.com
-wedges from Sub70

5 Likes

I do basically all of my buying online. I’d love to support a local independent shop, but the only local independent shop in my area is owned and staffed by an old guy who seems to have zero interest in anyone coming into his shop, maybe just more of a place for him and his buddies to hang out.
If I find a local fitter or join a club and make a good relationship with the pro shop it may change, but at this point I’m really comfortable buying everything online. Even with clubs, I’ll buy them based on my expectations and then am fine sending them back if they don’t work out. I definitely shop for deals as well, eBay for apparel, golfdiscount.com for balls, rockbottomgolf for random stuff.

2 Likes

@Bigdadenergy, thanks for the tip. I’ve bought shoes and gloves from RockBottom but never really looked at their clothes. I’ll start paying more attention.

You can get shirts for like $7.99 sometimes. As long as you don’t care about them being “last season” - which I very much don’t. A solid color golf shit is a solid color golf shirt as long as it’s not fully cotton like the ones we all wore in the 90s.

3 Likes

Local Austads for apparel & woods, Amazon for grips & apparel. @golfsub70 for wedges & Irons. Just tried glove from sub70 & excellent quality for low price.

I did my club fitting in Club Champion (worth every penny).

I tend to goto stores (PGA mainly, or club shops) if i see anything i like, ill tend to try and find it online which almost always is significantly cheaper.

1 Like

I don’t have any golf retailers anywhere near me so my purchases are online. 12 of the 14 clubs in my bag was purchased directly from OEMs, 1 was from Rock Bottom Golf and got the other off Ebay.

I used to buy local…now I test locally and only buy online. Mostly from eBay or directly from a company’s website.
I still support the local with buying sim time and buying apparel, gloves, etc., but the price difference is too large on most clubs to buy them here.

1 Like

My brand of clubs aren’t sold here in Australia so I had to buy them online from the UK. My bag, buggy, driving iron and woods off ebay. Clothing from a smaller local golf shop.

I like supporting @Sub70_Jay but haven’t pulled the trigger on the wedges… I’m not so good to think that I need different grinds, but I do want different bounces on my wedges and that’s not an option yet… I’m also still waiting to hear more on the new wedges they teased!

2 Likes

I have Sub70 wedges. They are so good.

2 Likes

I’m glad you like them! Maybe I just need them to bend the 56 to 54!

I have a 54! Are they out of stock in the 54?

1 Like

No, I’m just thinking about adding bounce but think I went backwards.

Mostly online. I rarely buy new equipment. When I do buy from a brick & mortar store I go to our local Golf HQ