Where do you shop for equipment

I got fitted locally 5 years ago and haven’t bought much since, but I will get some new wedges from him for 2020. I have bought a few clubs from DSG when they had a nice sale, but nothing stock OEM really fits me well so I always rip everything apart. I used to build new clubs each year. I bought from Wishon and Golfworks mainly and they have great stuff. The recent stuff from Golfworks is amazing. I would definitely consider Sub70 (Jason is a great guy), New Level and Ben Hogan for DTC now although I would still probably rip everything apart, spine & FLO the shafts, MOI it, etc lol.

1 Like

So a question for everyone who buys online…do you forego the fitting and buy what sounds like a good fit, have a local shop modify the equipment after buying, or…?

I have a PGA store close by and I like to go there to hit balls and try clubs, but I’ve only ever purchased off the clearance or used rack. I got a Rocketballz 2 hybrid for $19.99 and an Adams Tight lies titanium 3 wood for around $100 that are both still in the bag, and my previous Tour Edge driver from the clearance/used rack. Looking now to potentially get a utility iron to replace the hybrid.

My current irons are Sub70 and I felt very good about the fit after a nice conversation w/ Jason, and my previous Mizuno irons were purchased off Ebay. I haven’t gone through a fitting, but I’m pretty aware of my specs so I can purchase online with some confidence. The only club I wouldn’t buy online w/o at least trying first is a putter.

I modify at a local shop after, but have had decent luck on eBay finding clubs that fit me despite my height (6’6”).
I usually switch out regular for midsize grips myself.

1 Like

Another newbie question - I currently game a Ping G SFT driver but am looking to upgrade to a more recent one. I have slow clubhead speed and play senior flex but have a hard time finding G400 Max (new or used), or used G410 Plus with senior shafts. How much am I losing by going to one of those models with regular shaft?

The short, unsatisfying answer is that it is almost impossible to say. In general, playing a shaft that is too stiff will result in a lower, left biased ball flight, but that can also be strongly influenced by the clubhead characteristics and how you swing it (not to mention a bunch of other characteristics of the shaft besides the flex itself). Until you test it out (or ideally get professionally fit), really nothing can be said with any certainty.

2 Likes

@CoryO is correct, but you can always purchase one and then buy a senior flex shaft later (or get fit for one). I tend to find club heads I like and then buy shafts for them. You can also just buy a head and get your current shaft an adapter that works with it.

If you find a screaming deal on a head, regardless of what shaft it has, buy it and then you can always change the shaft.

-Strict honesty here - I shop on Ebay, and on Goodwill online <shopgoodwillonline.com> Don’t laugh, it got this raw beginner a set of (90s?) Golden Bear ladies’ clubs to experiment with, and to find I LOVE golf! Then, to look at the pre-owned clubs at the various shops like Golf
Galaxy, etc. What I save, I put towards getting “The Strike Plan” and a lesson or two. Since the majority of my golfing is during this Covid disaster, haven’t ventured into the stores.

2 Likes

I shop for most of my golf gear online. I’ll occasionally buy balls and hats from Dick’s or Roger Dunn.and I bought my bag from Roger Dunn.

2 Likes

I’ve started my quest for a 12 degree head… I’m less worried about the shaft, as I’m going to toss one of mine in it… but I’m actually struggling to find an adjustable driver for under $200… It’s weird.

I’ll probably hit up my Golf Headquarters today and see if Tony has anything in the used section… Also need to find a sweet headcover to match my Moose… (I’m thinking either squirrel or elk)

2 Likes

Golf headquarters was a bust on high loft heads… have a bid in for an old Adams fast 10… I’ll have to reshaft it, but should be a fun experiment.