What's your goal?

I really do believe everyone has the ability to break 90. A big part of it tends to be eliminating the “blow up” holes (double or worse).The Decade Foundations system Jon wrote about last week really covers all the key areas to make this happen.

2 Likes

I really like having a digital scorekeeping tool (for me its my Garmin watch) because I’m not constantly reminded by the score and other info that can distract me from where I am in that moment (the number on the last hole, what handicap ranked hole is coming, etc.). My S20 only shows me a tiny overall score in the top corner when I put my strokes in at the end of the hole and it’s easy to ignore. I much prefer that to a physical scorecard.

2 Likes

Look forward to it. My biggest flaws are just confidence in myself. I’ve only been playing golf for four years, getting instruction for two. I’ve packed a lot in, in a short time. With that said, I know I should have a short memory about what happened last round, let alone two years ago. However, the subconscious doesn’t quite work that way. So I’ve been working hard to reprogram it so I continue to move forward. I’m doing fairly well, just have to do some more fine tuning. My biggest thing now is greens in regulation. Once I get that dialed in my score will plummet. I’m an ok putter but nothing to write home to mom about, yet. Speed control is usually pretty good, but green reading is usually my challenge. I think I’m going to invest in the AimPoint Express. Thanks for the vote of confidence. See you on the tour!

2 Likes

I retired 3yrs ago at the age of 43 and am a 6 day member at Mount Osmond golf Course. I play 6 days a week and once or twice a week play 36 holes or 2 balls if I play late afternoon.

3 Likes

Alright well that opens up a whole new topic. We’re going to need to have the how can I accelerate my retirement discussion now!!

1 Like

Came to Australia from NZ in 1994 with $800. In 2000 I bought a $155,000 unit with a 50% deposit. Paid the other half off in 3yrs and 3 months. Then in the 13 years till I lost my job I saved like I was still paying off my house and saved $500k. Put it into shares and got 44k after tax last year but only spent 19k

2 Likes

I really struggle to focus on the process and not on scoring. I enjoyed the replies to this.

Two main things I have tried this year is to try and birdie every hole on my home course, so if I’m having a bad round I don’t get down on myself. The other thing I did was come up with a complete game plan and just try to think about the plan rather than the shot.
I think metric goals like shots gained are really important for pracitice, but out on the course my goal is to think as much as possible about the strategy and where not to miss it etc. Easier said than done, and certainly a skill that can be practiced in its own right.

3 Likes

This is where adding mindfulness practices to the in-round routine can be really helpful, keep you in the moment rather than thinking about the last/next shot and score.

1 Like

Consistency! Need to get that into muscle memory! When how a swing feels, corresponds to a good swing.

2 Likes

Honestly, my goal is to play a round of golf where I don’t feel like I left any strokes on the table… Not 18 eagles or 18 birdies… just staying in the moment on every shot, hitting a good shot, and moving on to the next one and repeating the process… In reality, this probably looks like 3-4 under on my home course… but it’s less about chasing perfection and more about getting into a solid groove and don’t really second guess myself or “wish” I could have a shot back.

3 Likes

I like the frame of mind there, but do think that is one of those goals that you’ll always be chasing. Human nature is to always find SOMETHING that could have changed or gone better. Nothing wrong at all with having one of those forever goals, but just make sure you have the little ones as well to stay motivated with.

1 Like

Most definitely! Current goal is to shoot 72 on my home course… It’s definitely achievable, just need to get the rounds in.

Hoping to get a epidural on Monday so I can start practicing putting on Tuesday… Not sure how many rounds I will squeeze in before the season ends in KY.

1 Like

This makes good sense to me, my goal is to make a good decision on every shot, and to give the execution of each shot my full effort. The old mantra of “one shot at a time” is actually a good one, in my opinion. I can look back afterwards and evaluate the day’s play based on score, or putts, or driving accuracy, whatever, but those aren’t goals per se. My goal starting out the day at my home club is to hit my driver solid and just left of center. Then I have a new goal depending on the results of that first shot.

3 Likes

Exactly. In the end the goal is that no matter what you’re doing (Playing 9 holes on your own on a summer evening. Playing with your buddies for a $5 nassau. Coming down the stretch in your club championships needing to par in to beat a personal best.) you treat every shot the same way. What’s my target. Go through my routine and hit it. The ball goes where it goes. Once you pick the target you should be on autopilot.

Some of the best golf I’ve played recently was with a friend of mine caddying. He had me describe my target specifically and clearly before I hit every shot. I found that very helpful. I should do it with myself all the time but I lack the discipline.

4 Likes

This is something I’ve been thinking about alot… I’m currently planning on talking to myself more on the course… just walking through what I’m trying to do… I should have my own cart soon, so I can kick out judgmental passengers!

My current putting routine starts with talking to my putter for exactly this reason… Get myself into the right “goal” mindset and focus on the task at hand… I think actually speaking your goals out loud helps a ton (or it does for me) as by verbalizing them it helps focus your mindset… There is a certain amount of energy linked into speaking things into existence, and I think that can be used positively on the golf course… or at least that’s my current belief.

1 Like

I wanted to revisit this thread after finally getting back into the swing of the season- pun fully intended

I looked back at my goals

I want to address the ‘stay focused on each shot’. Being present in each shot, mentally prepared but not over prepared and that happy feeling of being in the zone. I feel like I rush sometimes or I’m not fully committed. I have always thought my preshot routine was pretty solid but upon really looking at it I don’t repeat it exactly every time and it never has bothered me. I’m going to play tomorrow morning, I am going to make sure I slow down my process, no need to rush, and repeat my routine. Thoughts?
This came to mind because I heard Mickelson today saying he stood over his shot changed the shot, or would move the club head and should have backed away to recommit. This happens to me on tougher days.

2 Likes

Wow, glad I reread this… I need to get back to verbalizing my intentions more… the times I’ve done it, I’ve hit the ball well.

1 Like

I remember hearing some people that talk too about speaking out loud and I’ve never really tried it. Sounds like something to do tomorrow also.

2 Likes

For me, it commits me to the shot. It helps focus my mind and make sure I have a clear intention…

I won’t verbalize “I’m just going to hit it up there somewhere “ but I’ve definitely thought it and had poor shots as a result.

2 Likes

Small targets- small misses

I really like to focus on the smallest target possible. That mind visual really helps me.

I’m going to slow down, say my target out loud, along with my yardage and shot shape, find a small target and put the ball there! Easy game eh.

2 Likes