What's your goal?

Quick post about goals out on the golf course and get a discussion going. Even when playing a recreational round, it’s a good thing mentally to have a purpose/objective/goal (or whatever you want to call it). So when you go out for your next round, what’s your goal going to be?

My recommendation is don’t let that be score based. While it would be great to break 100/90/80/70, this sort of “result” focused intention really won’t help you accomplish it. There are so many things completely out of your control that strongly influence that result, so if you are defining “success” solely on that number, then more often than not you’ll wind up failing (or at least putting more stress on yourself than necessary). This same philosophy can apply to any “metric” goals as well (number of putts, GIRs, etc.) so what can we do instead? We can still have measurable goals, but they should focus on the action and activity. Want to hit more greens? Make a goal around choosing the right club. For putting, make it around getting the speed right instead of the number of putts.

I could go on, but how about your suggested course goals?

6 Likes

I’ve notoriously gone out and just golfed my ball and paid the consequences with bad decisions and reaped the rewards with well executed shots. My hdcp and enjoyment suffered for it for a long time.
This year, after being a dummy for the last 25, I started making goals.
The first one I made was to have a plan on every tee box. What is my ideal tee shot? What angle is best into the green? Where are my misses or bailouts? What part of the green do I want to be on? And so on.
It’s helped me focus a ton and avoid anything over bogey (in most instances). I recover better. I score better. I enjoy it more.

4 Likes

I’ve been keeping my mental scorecard. How many shots do I hit where I have a clear idea of what my intention is and then swung with that in mind. Doesn’t matter if the shot is successful. Just whether you were present and attempting something sensible. Goal is to have 100% of your shots be like that.

8 Likes

My goals for every round is to have no worse than 2 putts a hole and not have any shanks . I also have a goal of 365 rounds a year.

3 Likes

If you figure out how to play a round a day, please let me know how you do it.

I have several goals not in any particular order:

-Don’t let surroundings bother me during a round
-Play with confidence
-Continue to introduce people to the game
-Stay focused on each shot
-Use breathing to reduce stress and anxiety
-Enjoy the little time we all have to play the game

4 Likes

Stay Present, enjoy the round, and don’t let the outcome of one shot effect the execution of your next shot (both good and bad). Don’t blow one OB after a 3-putt. Don’t get too excited by a great(or lucky) shot that leads to a birdie. I try not to track too much while I’m playing unless there are some mid-round adjustments needed, but rather reflect on the round immediately after to track stats, mental scorecard, etc. My goal is to not know what I shot til I’m done, but I’m not there yet.

5 Likes

One thing I love about keeping score on my Garmin S20 watch is that it’s not constantly showing me my score. There’s a little number up in the corner on the enter score screen, but that’s easy to ignore. Back when I was using GPS apps on my phone, it was constantly on the screen and impossible to keep out of mind.

4 Likes

I need to find a way to trust my swing. I used to, but not anymore. I think it comes from not practicing as much and joining a course that is very woodsy and tight with a lot of OB. I am worrying too much about where I MIGHT miss and not committing to the swing. I also need to stop beating myself up so much after a bad shot. My index did used to be lower, but I was never that good lol.

2 Likes

My current goal is to get to where I can physically swing a golf club again… but that’s not positive or helpful…

I’ve been thinking a lot about golf since I can’t play… and what I want to work on mentally is “how do I best get home from here”… forget how many shots I’ve hit, and focus on what’s the best way to get the ball in the hole.

Treat 250 out the same on a par four as a par five… not thinking about eagle, but thinking how best to advance the ball… same with a mistake into the trees… not trying to salvage a bad shot with a great shot, but put myself in a position to hit good shots and be rewarded.

Just watched the decade intro video, and he talks about not chasing birdies. I think that concept extends. Just focus on putting myself in a position to succeed and focus on process more than the results.

2 Likes

When I play I typically try to keep a few concrete or objective numbers that will result in score but also want to keep track of a few more subjective things as well. So I keep up with number of fairways, GIR, putts (particularly eliminating 3 putts)and up and downs. I have a numeric goal (as a high handicap guy trying to break 90 more consistently it’s something like 5 GIRs, 7 fairways 2 or less three putts and 3 up and downs). I also like to see which way my tee shots and approach shots miss. Lastly, I count how many times I let a bad shot affect the next one. Whether I hurry (or abandon) my pre shot routine or swing with pure hot anger :rofl:.

These are the goals I shoot for. I’ve never hit them all in a round and if I ever do I’m pretty sure I’ll have played my best round.

2 Likes

Monte Scheinblum recommended a good goal game on one of his Insta QandAs the other day. Basically play a game on your own where you only count pars or better. If you miss your par, pick up and move on to next hole. That’s if you’re already quite a low handicap. If say you’re playing off 18 and want to break 80, pick up if you dont get a net par on the 8 hardest holes or something similar. I’ve done it a few times and it really helps you to be aggressive and just play the game with no fear. Trying to beat your most total pars or better in a round is a good goal as well.

2 Likes

Retire. Divorce. Problems solved.

3 Likes

My goal for the year is to get my handicap down between 4-7. Currently and 11, was as low as a 9.9. However, I’ve just undergone an entire sei g change over the last year and a half and it’s just now starting to be repeatable. My long term goal, lofty, I know, but I will accomplish it, is to make the Champions Tour.

6 Likes

Go get it! You got this!

2 Likes

Thank you for the support!

I have been playing for years but never took it seriously and my scores showed it. But just recently i started to actually get out every weekend. And from that i have begun taking it more seriously as far as wanting to get better. So one of the things i did was invest in the mind course and i found it fascinating. I guess i sort of knew it had alot to do with the mind but never really paid much attention to it before this. Now i go out there and I use golf shot to keep score, so i never find out my score until the end. My golfing partners also have noticed the difference of when i hit a bad shot, my response is that it is only one shot. I take one shot at a time and try to relax more in between shots. All in all it has gotten somewhat more enjoyable. I guess it will really get enjoyable when the scores start to come down. So i now know what i am going to do this winter, work on my game and mind and get ready for a great 2021 on the links.

3 Likes

My goal is to break 90. I have only played a few times per year over the past 5 years or so, and some of those times were work scrambles. My oldest son is taking golf lessons, so I have been hitting the range while he is at his lesson and also taking him on the weekends. He loves it so far, so I’m hoping he stays with it which gives me more opportunities to play.

5 Likes

An 11 (or 9.9) means you have all the shots needed to be in the high 70’s consistently, so my recommendation is to redefine that handicap goal not to the number, but to the actions that will get you there. Are you losing strokes putting? Then try the putting speed goal. Hitting into too much trouble? Set a target zone off the tee goal. Focus on those actions and the results will take care of themselves! (and I’ll see you on the Champions Tour :wink: )

1 Like

I am still way too score focused (hcp fluctuating between 6-8), one thing I’ve noticed is that when I have scorecard and write down the nr I kind of forget about it and that helps me to constantly in my head count what my score is. Mentally I try to think of it as a “score shelf”, once I write it down it is put on the shelf and I only pick it up when the round is done.

1 Like