What's your goal?

Honestly, my goal is to play a round of golf where I don’t feel like I left any strokes on the table… Not 18 eagles or 18 birdies… just staying in the moment on every shot, hitting a good shot, and moving on to the next one and repeating the process… In reality, this probably looks like 3-4 under on my home course… but it’s less about chasing perfection and more about getting into a solid groove and don’t really second guess myself or “wish” I could have a shot back.

3 Likes

I like the frame of mind there, but do think that is one of those goals that you’ll always be chasing. Human nature is to always find SOMETHING that could have changed or gone better. Nothing wrong at all with having one of those forever goals, but just make sure you have the little ones as well to stay motivated with.

1 Like

Most definitely! Current goal is to shoot 72 on my home course… It’s definitely achievable, just need to get the rounds in.

Hoping to get a epidural on Monday so I can start practicing putting on Tuesday… Not sure how many rounds I will squeeze in before the season ends in KY.

1 Like

This makes good sense to me, my goal is to make a good decision on every shot, and to give the execution of each shot my full effort. The old mantra of “one shot at a time” is actually a good one, in my opinion. I can look back afterwards and evaluate the day’s play based on score, or putts, or driving accuracy, whatever, but those aren’t goals per se. My goal starting out the day at my home club is to hit my driver solid and just left of center. Then I have a new goal depending on the results of that first shot.

3 Likes

Exactly. In the end the goal is that no matter what you’re doing (Playing 9 holes on your own on a summer evening. Playing with your buddies for a $5 nassau. Coming down the stretch in your club championships needing to par in to beat a personal best.) you treat every shot the same way. What’s my target. Go through my routine and hit it. The ball goes where it goes. Once you pick the target you should be on autopilot.

Some of the best golf I’ve played recently was with a friend of mine caddying. He had me describe my target specifically and clearly before I hit every shot. I found that very helpful. I should do it with myself all the time but I lack the discipline.

4 Likes

This is something I’ve been thinking about alot… I’m currently planning on talking to myself more on the course… just walking through what I’m trying to do… I should have my own cart soon, so I can kick out judgmental passengers!

My current putting routine starts with talking to my putter for exactly this reason… Get myself into the right “goal” mindset and focus on the task at hand… I think actually speaking your goals out loud helps a ton (or it does for me) as by verbalizing them it helps focus your mindset… There is a certain amount of energy linked into speaking things into existence, and I think that can be used positively on the golf course… or at least that’s my current belief.

1 Like

I wanted to revisit this thread after finally getting back into the swing of the season- pun fully intended

I looked back at my goals

I want to address the ‘stay focused on each shot’. Being present in each shot, mentally prepared but not over prepared and that happy feeling of being in the zone. I feel like I rush sometimes or I’m not fully committed. I have always thought my preshot routine was pretty solid but upon really looking at it I don’t repeat it exactly every time and it never has bothered me. I’m going to play tomorrow morning, I am going to make sure I slow down my process, no need to rush, and repeat my routine. Thoughts?
This came to mind because I heard Mickelson today saying he stood over his shot changed the shot, or would move the club head and should have backed away to recommit. This happens to me on tougher days.

2 Likes

Wow, glad I reread this… I need to get back to verbalizing my intentions more… the times I’ve done it, I’ve hit the ball well.

1 Like

I remember hearing some people that talk too about speaking out loud and I’ve never really tried it. Sounds like something to do tomorrow also.

2 Likes

For me, it commits me to the shot. It helps focus my mind and make sure I have a clear intention…

I won’t verbalize “I’m just going to hit it up there somewhere “ but I’ve definitely thought it and had poor shots as a result.

2 Likes

Small targets- small misses

I really like to focus on the smallest target possible. That mind visual really helps me.

I’m going to slow down, say my target out loud, along with my yardage and shot shape, find a small target and put the ball there! Easy game eh.

2 Likes

We talked about it in Narrating Your Game. I’m not as consistent with it as I should be. I think I have to be “in the zone” for it to feel natural (for example, I narrated a good chunk of my round this morning), but might help me get into that zone if I talk through the shots I’m going to hit.

4 Likes

Nice grammar Dave- after being quoted.

Thanks for the link, I said I was going to try it back in October, but it’s golf season again so maybe I’ll really try it :joy:

4 Likes

Ditto. I went to the range today to work on the driver a bit. Found myself falling down the hole if “let me try this swing thought or feel”… Thankfully, there was only a few balls of that before something in my mind said “what are trying to do with this shot?”

It was like a light went off. I verbalized every shot intention of the rest of the bucket. I’d state my intended start line, where the ball would curve to, the trajectory, and what kind of divot depth for off the turf shots.

I hit the shot I intended about 80-85% of the time once I started doing that and the misses would of been very manageable on a course.

Now I gotta remember to do it when I play :joy:

2 Likes

@okiwiz is golfing at a legendary frequency

2 Likes

I haven’t played since last Monday as I have strained an intercostal muscle in my left ribs.

2 Likes

Get well soon! I jinxed you!

1 Like

Last Monday I was a bit sore after the round. Tuesday I only lasted 2.5 holes with acute pain just as I turned my torso thru impact. Doctor checked out my heart, sent me for an xray and settled on a pulled muscle. Not really in pain anymore but tender to touch. I will see how I in the morning and if okay will try to play in the afternoon. Thanks for the wishes.

3 Likes

My goal this year was to get back into competition that will put me against better players to test how much, if at all, I can play up to my competition.
Today I signed up for Nebraska Am, Nebraska Mid-Am, US Am Qualifier, and US Mid-Am Qualifiers. Also going to sign up for Indian Creek Invitational, which used to put the winner in the Korn Ferry Pinnacle Bank, but no longer does since it’s going to be the Tour Finale.
Looking at a few smaller ramp up tourneys that will have a handful of players that are very good, as well.
My game feels as good or better than it’s ever been. I’m excited to get back into competitive golf. Hopefully I can keep it together.

6 Likes

Good luck! Sounds like a fun adventure… I’m hoping to feel confident enough in my game at the end of this season to do some tournaments next year… My current game is a mess.

My new goal for 2021 is to clean up my game and feel comfortable over the ball… it’s funny, as a kid, I was always confident in my golf game, despite being worse than I am now… I’d like to regain that youthful exuberance but temper it with the wisdom of my years… (I’ll also need to acquire some wisdom, but that’s a different topic!)…

My “scoring” goal for the year is to have a round with 0 double bogeys, which is a very achievable feat, it just requires me to stay focused on the course and not make multiple mistakes.

2 Likes