Narrating Your Game

Randomly started doing something a little different out on the course this morning, I narrated my shots. Basically like I was doing a course vlog, but no camera. I talked (out loud) what I was seeing as I approached the ball and what my plan was going to be. Not going to say it was perfect or anything, but it seemed to work pretty well for keeping me in the shot. Anyone else do this?

8 Likes

Scott fawcett recommends narrating pre shot routine as practice. One of the videos in foundations

5 Likes

My golf coach makes me do this for every shot. The problem is when I’m not with him, I feel stupid talking to myself. I need to get over it. I definitely hit the ball a lot better when I narrate the shot. It’s as if my brain already knows what to do and how to do it.

3 Likes

I probably should do this instead of moaning about what I did wrong after the shot lol. My playing partners may not appreciate either.

2 Likes

I think you should add an Australian accent, just for good measure

All joking aside that’s not a bad idea. It’s almost like you are creating a conversation with an invisible caddie. I haven’t used caddies that often in tournaments but when I do, I really find it helped to talk through the scenario before reaching my decision. Maybe you’re on to something there!

8 Likes

I think this would help me stay present more, I talk through shots with my brother in law all the time and play better when planning it out with him. Need to start doing it when he’s not around too

1 Like

I wonder if it has the same effect by just saying it to yourself instead of out loud? It sounds like a good idea because you are in a way convincing yourself what you should be doing and the brain reacts well to that kind of thought.

1 Like

I generally only do a post-shot narration of my bad shots. Lots of four letters words. A few my wife wouldn’t approve of.

I’ve thought about adding in some for the good shots. Something in an English accent like, “Oh, you old bugger. You’ve gone and pured that one, haven’t you?”

4 Likes

Fawcett’s suggestion is to practice out loud. We only have one language processor in the brain so it’s very difficult to have interrupting thoughts while doing it out loud.

He says go to the far end of the range so people don’t think you are crazy. Once internalized, you can have the same effect by dialing in that internal monologue

4 Likes

Who’s to say I didn’t?

6 Likes

I like this idea. Reminds me; after months of working on stuff I’d learned from @jon (pre shot routine) and @Adamyounggolf (external focus) I took a lesson with my old coach. He set me up on the course with a 150yd approach into the green. I talked out loud what I was doing, the shot I visualised, how I timed my step into the ball etc. I then executed the shot exactly as planned. The coach said “I can’t teach you anything”.

@papageorgio - thanks for reminding me of this. Gonna try it Sunday in a comp. Should entertain my playing partners if nothing else. Might do it in the style of Sean Connery :wink:

4 Likes

I remember watching a “golf lesson with the pros” with John Cook. Of course he was forced to explain each shot he was playing and what he was doing. He ended up shooting a great nine holes. Almost every shot came off the way he wanted. He commented that he should probably continue to take that approach.
I think having a crystal clear idea of the shot really helps…rather than I’m just going to hit the ball up there
somewhere on the green

2 Likes

Im going to try it, it sounds like it could work.

1 Like

2 Likes

It should work for auditory learners. But did you get any strange looks?

1 Like

Every round I’ve played at my club so far has been on my own, so the only strange looks come from me looking at the club that inexplicably hit the ball the wrong place. Guess I’ll see if I start narrating during the tournament tomorrow and how that works.

4 Likes

Be sure to fill us in, unless your partners have locked you in a straitjacket by the end of the round!

2 Likes

Dad and I used to joke around on the course narrating the others shots like tv analysts… back to you rossie

1 Like

Um, yes. I try to do it quietly as I don’t want people to think I’m nuts! But verbalizing it helps me concentrate.

1 Like

Was going to respond with something similar: I’ve had the immense pleasure (emphasized) of attending a few Nancy Lopez “Play Happy” golf clinics (very highly recommended) and one of the things they coach you on is…
“Be your own caddy”

But for me it’s an internal monologue
(… I don’t want those nice, strong young men in the white lab coats coming to take me away to the “relaxation spa” :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

2 Likes