What's out of your bag?

Sometimes you just need a change.

2 Likes

Bought a new 3 plus on eBay… srixon 13.5. It’s currently getting a new grip put on it, but I’m hopeful it will be a good fit for my home course while being useful on rounds away from home…

For now, the driver (Callaway Epic Flash) is out. TaylorMade mini driver is in.
Trying to keep it in play a little more while sacrificing about 15 yards.

4 Likes

It’s been a great fit… it’s the perfect distance for me on a few non driver holes.

Still waiting on my new irons, but fingers crossed they get in next week. (And I can’t play next week! )

1 Like

Guaranteed to arrive then!

1 Like

I pulled my OG TM Mini Driver out and put the 3 wood back in. I was hitting the Mini through the doglegs regularly. I probably should have pulled the driver and used the Mini and 3w though.

2 Likes

I just replaced my old 21.5 degree Taylormade RBZ Tour Hybrid with a Ping G410 22 degree hybrid. I’ve now replaced my 3 wood and both hybrids in the last year. Figure I’m set at Fairway wood and hybrid for 10 years.

3 Likes

Just don’t pull a @Bigdadenergy and accidentally fall into a fitting cart.

Famous last words…though I hope this change works out for you.

On my own front, I vacillate constantly between 3I +4I and swapping them with 7W + Utility W (21 degree TM System 2) that, despite their similar lofts, gap about a club apart. So far, the irons are winning, despite the 7W giving me ungodly numbers on my launch monitor with the balls actually going about 20 yds shorter. Tomorrow, it’ll be the woods.

1 Like

I held on to my last hybrids for 9 years, so 10 might be an exaggeration, but it’s close.

I don’t actually have that many shots that require those clubs and when I do, hybrids always do the trick. Don’t see myself ever going back to long irons.

2 Likes

Adams CMBs are officially retired. They served well as a $200 interim set, but the zx5s are awesome.

After a good drive, 5 iron and bump and run wedge, my partner missed this for birdie.

6 Likes

Ha, I originally thought you got fit into a Cobra Radspeed… I’m contemplating finally getting fit for a driver… I have the Mavrik Sub Zero from here and a Ventus Black from a buddy, and I feel similar to your previous post about it being perfect when it’s good, but hating it when it’s bad… Probably will wait until next season, though… it’s currently one of the older clubs in my bag

I pulled the 5 iron out of my bag mid season after my shotscope data showed only a 5 yard gap from my 6 iron. I haven’t missed it at all. I should probably go through my bag and clean up the gapping through the whole bag now that I have a whole season of data.

2 Likes

I have taken my driving iron, 3 wood and 5 wood out of my bag and am left with a Lynx Predator Driver and 3i to Pw Lynx tour blades a sand wedge and a lob wedge I hardly ever use all Lynx. The reason I removed the clubs is that I can’t rely on them to hit a god shot. I don’t hit perfect shots with the 3i but my misses aren’t as bad.

1 Like

Sounds like a great idea. Plot your dispersion as well, while you’re at it.

To answer the OP, my approach wedge is currently out of my bag. Not because I don’t like it, but—and this is the reason I’m bringing it up—because I very cleverly broke the shaft on it. I currently am trying to extend my irons and approach wedge, an inch or more. I’m basing that on my toe heavy strike patterns, thin to no divots, the Ping color chart, and some dynamic lie testing. My irons are too flat, the chart indicates they might be too short, extending them an inch might fix both issues.

Great! I’ll just buy some sized shaft extensions. I know the Pings have a .600 butt, and yep, the extensions slide right in. Surely my no-name AW is the same…? Nope. No problem, I have an old shaft (attached to a club I inherited and can’t use). Maybe I can cut the shaft and use it?

After laboriously scraping a very old Ping grip off the donor club, a sand wedge, I trim the shaft to where I think the tapered piece will be narrow enough to slide in. Take the tapered cut piece to my AW top. Nope. (Calipers would’ve made this soooooo easier.) I set the tapered piece down and start trimming again with my newly-purchased pipe cutter, a little lower down the shaft. Eventually it cuts…and I realize at that moment, I never picked back up the donor club to cut on again. My AW shaft is now very cleanly cut in two.

Pay attention when working with tools.

I apologize if you’ve already mentioned this, but what about a 3 or 4 hybrid instead of the 3 & 4 irons?

@Jayjay I have never hit a hybrid. In the last week I have hit two 185m 3i shots off the deck and on the 18th which is a downhill tee shot it ran out to 230m.A beautiful draw. I have more trouble with the 4i and now I pretend it is the 3i when I hit it. My blades have such a thin top line look so good and I have confidence in them. I am reasonably good at finding the middle of the club so will probably never switch to hybrids

1 Like

Fair. I still am playing a 3 and 4 iron too; albeit their lofts at 21 and 24, AIUI are those of a more modern set’s 4, 5 or 6 iron. They get up, they gap 10 yards apart when I do my job, why change?

But I also have a 3 and 5 wood that I can usually hit. The 3 wood challenges my driver, some days.

My 3i and 4i are 21 and 24 degs too. Blades never have strong lofts.

I pulled the 5 iron too. Just wasn’t hitting it all that well and the 5 hybrid I ditched came back to life.

Only problem is the 5h can be long on 2 of our par 3’s. Coincidentally my scoring on all holes has improved this year except for the three par 3’s where I regularly used the 5i. Have to figure that yardage out for my bag; maybe with more lofted hybrid or learning to hit the 5i better off the turf. The 5 utility didn’t really bridge the gap either.

1 Like