What’s your favorite training aid?

I see a lot of divot mats on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/KPPO-Training-Detection-Practice-Portable/dp/B08RDHG6PS/
That’s the cheapest I’ve ever seen one, but there are others on there for around $25 with Prime delivery. I’d consider the design different enough from the Divot Board to not consider them a complete knock-off, but I wonder if the would be as effective.

1 Like

This is a clear knockoff of the acu strike. I actually bought one and it showed up yesterday (the real acu strike). The feedback isn’t nearly as clear as the divot board, and its significantly higher off the ground. Also I’ve spoken to others who have used it long term and they say durability is a real issue (it rips).

The problem with this category if that you need a material that will show ground interaction so naturally it’s not going to stand up to repeated use. I’m going to keep working with the divot board but after a few hundred swings I really like it so far. I’ve always had issues with ground interaction feedback because I don’t have access to grass practice ranges and it’s awesome to finally get this feedback. The unfortunate trade off is the cost, and the ongoing replacement fee of replacing the board after several thousand swings ($25 for a new strip).

3 Likes

I’m trying to convince my club to buy one!

Really excited to have our simulators unde construction, and I think the divot board would be a great help… definitely an interesting market.

It’s going to be interesting to see how country club gold changes as simulators become more popular…

Oh! Thanks CoryO for sharing this, I just ordered one, and it was only $13.34! I need feedback on where I’m actually striking the ground. Can’t do it outdoors as there is 3" of fresh snow there.

1 Like

I ended up buying the Divot Board away, especially since I can also add @Adamyounggolf’s Accuracy Plan to my collection of Adam’s content. I’m looking forward to having it as a tool for evaluating contact, for a couple reasons. I use the off-season (which is long here with our winters) to make swing changes. When the course does finally open, the ground tends to be very wet and muddy from the snow melt, which means that the first month of golf is like playing every shot from a fairway bunker: anything fat is punished severely.

And while I have a SkyTrak, I also have a mat that allows a bit too much forgiveness for fat shots. If I’m paying attention, I know when I’ve caught one a little heavy, because my spin rate drops. But I’m looking forward to focusing on the skill of ground impact. My hunch is that if the Divot Board is a big part of my work these next couple of months, when the season starts, that will be my focus point when I swing on the course: just trying to hit the ground is the same spot I would be if brushing the Divot Board. (In Adam’s terms: near external focus.)

6 Likes

A 1982 Maxfli Australian Blade 2 iron. The saying is that God can’t even hit that club. The face size is slightly larger than the ball with a paper thin top line. If you can find the SweetSpot on this iron consistently you have a very good swing

2 Likes

I’ve heard a lot of people do something similar… just use old clubs and woods to get their swing “back”… Never really tried it myself, might have to find an old blade and give it a go.

I’m still really digging my SeeMore mat. Really helping me improve my takeaway (at least in theory). It will be interesting to see how I fare in a few months.

Right now, I practice with it between sets of workouts in the basement… just work on takeaway and tempo… Snow is on the ground, so I’m not doing anything outside.

1 Like

has anyone else put in time with the divot board? I’m mostly liking it, it’s actually given me great feedback on ball position which I have often struggled with consistency. I was inching the ball further forward especially with shorter clubs and not making consistent contact, now I moved it back more and my “divots” have been awesome

my one concern though is it’s elevation off the ground, and translating the groundstrike. Take with a grain of salt I’m swinging in my basement hitting into an old bed sheet, but when I switch from the divot board to the regular mat I seem to thin the ball a lot more. Just me or common occurence?

1 Like

I’ve put in a lot of time and will have a review done soon. I agree having it above your feet is not optimal. But to be honest I haven’t noticed any difference in my patterns between having it level (I have a removable insert in my mat that makes this possible) or having it raised.

This is one of my favorite products to come out in a while. I’ve been in contact with the inventor, and like a lot of companies inventory is an issue. But I have secured a small batch that I will make available to readers when he gets his next shipment in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!

7 Likes

This is very exciting!

On the Divot Board being raised: I see this point made often, but I guess I’m not bothered. To be, it seems similar to saying that if I’m working on strike with my 8 iron, that I’ll be thinning 9 iron and down and crashing the club into the ground with 7 iron and up.

3 Likes

I keep seeing these on Instagram. Let us know how it works. I’m not going to be making a 1,000 swings anytime soon (my shoulder wouldn’t allow it) but if it gives quick feed back with a few swings, $13 sounds like a deal!!!

1 Like

This popped up on Facebook today… originally I thought it was a triangle shaped putter… it actually looks decent for making sure your club face and pass are good.

Seems like an interesting concept and the game looks fun.

3 Likes

That looks like a pretty good concept and a great way to see if your putter is square at impact. I haven’t seen that one before.

As far as the training aids I have faith in, they would be the Divot Board, Planemate, PuttOut, and SuperSpeed (which I just started back on last week). I’m hoping to get back close to 100 mph as my swing speed is depressingly slow.

2 Likes

Dude good find! I checked it out, emailed a question via their web form … got a direct answer the next morning, went and ordered … got a shipping notification the very next day… :+1:

Fyi for anyone else interested… it’s currently on sale, plus you can use promo code “delta” for -10% off.

The idea is pretty simple = hit the triangle “puck” straight; if it doesn’t then your face angle (most likely) was open or closed at impact.

Yeah your path could be off but I’m guessing you’d probably push or pull the Delta off the mat pretty quickly…?

There are, of course, three sides on the triangle and this device uses them to give you three levels of difficulty - Amateur, Pro, Tour.

I’ll post more after I get it and try it out.

2 Likes

I thought it looked interesting… I love training aids because there are many different options and some just look fun… excited to hear how it works for you!

2 Likes

Have it. Its fun but didnt make me a better putter. Didnt immediately reveal any major flaws, even on pro side, but i have not hit hundreds in a row. Maybe I need to use it more though. :rofl:

I dont regret buying it but this is the year of the putter for me. I should be better at end of year than when i started!

3 Likes

That’s awesome… I’ve been working on my putting but am doing it without aids… really like the ladder drills from Scott Fawcett… need to grind some more!

2 Likes

Anyone have a perfect putter? The ramp thingy that you roll a ball down on the greens. Just ordered one and am quite excited for it to help me with my green reading and getting the ball started on line on breaking putts

3 Likes

I got the 8-iron and it has been incredibly helpful. I had a flip at the bottom and has steadily changed it. I used to never take a divot and not I take one quite regularly.

3 Likes