What is your preferred golf shoe?

I saw quite a bit of discussion about shoes in one of the other threads, so I thought I would start one just about shoes. I have a wide foot and have been mostly a Footjoy/ New Balance guy since they offer extra wide sizes.

In January I ordered some Skechers in a wide width with the BOA lacing system. Unfortunately, one of the steel laces snapped the other night. I have contacted customer service, hopefully they will take care of them for me.

I have a golf trip planned for next weekend and didn’t want to wear my 2 year old New Balance to these nicer courses, so I ordered a pair of Sqairz. They don’t offer wide widths but I am hoping their claim of a wider toe box is accurate, as that is where I need the extra width.

4 Likes

I just started wearing True Linskwear this year and I’m hooked. I got 2 pair initially and then bought 2 more on the BOGO deal after Joel Dahmen won. They have a wide toe box and zero drop so they are quite a bit different than any other golf shoe I’ve ever owned. Here’s what I have, and my ranking of them:

1. 2 pairs Eco-Knits - these are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever worn period. I wear them as every day shoes, and also wear them for rounds of golf when it’s warmer outside. They are not waterproof.
  2. OG Feels - Great shoes, a bit more sturdy than the Eco-Knits. They are fantastic for golf, but they aren’t waterproof either. I sprayed them with a waterproofing agent and this seems to have made them pretty water resistant.
  3. Originals - These are my waterproof shoes. They are leather and are really comfortable, but pale in comfort compared to the the Eco-Knits and Feels. Once it finally warms up I’ll probably only wear these on dewy mornings and wear the others at all other times. I’ve also noticed the leather on these isn’t as durable as I’d like. The Original 1.2 has changed out the leather to what they are calling “bulletproof” leather, so it seems they are addressing that issue.

Definitely take a look. The zero drop isn’t going to be for everyone. They have a line that has a minimal drop too, but I haven’t worn those so can’t comment.

4 Likes

I’m a 13 4e… my foot is wide enough that I’ve spent the past 10 years wearing wide 14s because of the width… I just got fit again and the guy asked why I wasn’t just wearing 13 4e, so I’m trying that again.

I haven’t tried the true links but I’m interested… currently playing in new balance and have a pair of foot joy on order. Both cater to Sasquatch sized feet.

2 Likes

I used the chat feature on the True Website before ordering my Eco-knits because they are only a D width. They told me to go up a half size and it’s been perfect.

1 Like

I started this year with my 2 year old Nikes, but after walking 18 twice I realized their cushioning is spent and they don’t have removable insoles. Used my proshop credit for a pair of Adidas Codechaos. I haven’t liked most Adidas shoes, but these are really comfortable and traction seems excellent for spikeless. Was also able to snag a pair of True Majors at about 50% off. They are nice and remind me of the True Outsiders I had.

2 Likes

I use to wear 10 1/2, but even in wide width I had issues with them squeezing my toes. Several years ago I went to a Redwing shoe store to look at work shoes and that guy basically told me I need to wear a larger size to get the widest part of the shoe out to where my toes are. So for as long as I can remember I have been wearing 11 1/2 or 12 in all of my shoes. Last weekend I bought a pair of casual shoes that they only had in 10 1/2, but they looked wide in the toe so I tried them on. Fit great! Because of that, I ordered my Sqairz in 10 1/2. I’m hoping that was not a mistake.

1 Like

I guess it’s like anything else. I grew up with Taylormade woods, Adams hybrids (that I covet). Titleist Balls forever until last year I went to Callaway SS. (but I heard TruSoft are pretty good, I will try) Nike and Antigua Apparel, I wear off brand trousers, I do have 2 AP Alpaca’s Cardigans (because you should), Foot Apparel has always been some form of Foot Joy. Why? I don’t know…I guess it’s like eating Steak…I always opt for CAB, when I can get it, because it is a bit better. I’m more of a Brand Loyalist.

Sizing of shoes and clothing is more random than flex in shafts I think. I have dress shoes that fit me well that are 10 or 10 1/2 D width, but my sneakers and golf shoes are all 11 or 11 1/2. I have had to buy size 12 on a few occasions and my feet tend towards the narrow side.

1 Like

I gotta tell you something about FJ, really interesting, 2 years ago I bought a nice set of FJ on sale at Dick’s. Stupid me I tossed the receipt. 8 months in, both shoes were no longer waterproof. Dick’s would NOT hold the warranty w/o the receipt. I wrote to FootJoy and they said, send us the shoes, we’ll inspect, the shoes can’t be more than a year old because it was 2019 style. I sent them in, they emailed me that the shoes were defective and they would give me another pair. BUT, they don’t do the Dick’s models, I would have to get an actual FootJoy styling, fine. I said what about the sizing. The guy says take a picture of your foot next to a ruler and send to me…2 weeks later they sent me the latest and greatest FootJoy styling and they fit like a glove! So, I guess that’s why I stick with FootJoy, they honor their workmanship and at least I experienced Top Notch customer service.

5 Likes

Im curious as to how people feel about spikeless… I have a few pair but I usually pick my spiked shoes to play on. (Well… the plastic grabby ones).

I do love the convenience of spikeless, and I wonder if the traction issues are mostly a thing of the past… I’ve spun out in non golf shoes, but I don’t think I’ve tried to play a full round in spikeless shoes in a few years.

I tried them and do not like them for me. It’s probably mental, but I push down so hard with my right leg, I do feel coming up I slide out and I mishit. My pro says it’s mental…probably is, but I feel I have enough to think about than having the feeling of (spinning out) sliding.

1 Like

I’ve had mostly positive results with spikeless. I like to walk so I went completely spikeless for a while for comfort. The only ones that NEVER slipped were the Nike Lunar Vapor Control with the strange wavy sole pattern. Not sure why they discontinued that because it really worked. I generally only worry about slippage on those uneven lies out of wet rough. I’m getting too old to swing as hard as I used to though lol.

1 Like

Adidas Spiked 360 Tour 2018 version are the best golf shoes I’ve ever worn. I’m still wearing them 95% of the time. I wish I had bought five or six pairs because the new ones just aren’t the same. I just tried on the ZG21 BOA and regular. Hated the BOA and the regulars slipped in the heel really bad. I’m so sad because I don’t think my Tour 360s will make it through the season and I hate pretty much every shoe I’ve tried on this year.

1 Like

All I wear is spikeless. Don’t feel like the soft spikes are helpful for me at all and spikeless are more comfortable.

Long drive shoes

I’m interested in these but they don’t make a wide… they claim to have a roomy toe box, though!

There are some studies that suggest wearing spikeless cost you CHS. I have 2 pair of ECCO spikeless that I wear however I have found that when compared to the spiked version when the grass is just not perfect slippage may occur. I do love the convenience of them and they are more comfortable though.

2 Likes

Makes sense to me… I’m not small, so comfortable shoes are a big plus… might pick up a pair of spikeless for practice and hot, dry days.

1 Like

I have and will always wear spiked shoes. I use the ground a ton to generate power and I can’t be questioning whether or not I have the traction to support me.

4 Likes

Finding a golf shoe for me has been a bit of a challenge. There are a perplexing number of brands, styles, and price points that I get into analysis paralysis especially being careful with Covid by not shopping for shoes at retail. It seems easier to pick and buy a hybrid online sight unseen than a golf shoe.

Of course I’ve purchased and worn the same model and brand of tennis shoes for the last 20 years so I’m a little bit of an outlier.

2 Likes

I think it makes the most sense to stick to the brands you know in that case… footjoy still makes a great shoe in a number of sizes and fits. Highly recommend them… not the “perfect” fit, but still probably a good fit.

A number of options for $150 which is in the middle of the road price wise.

I don’t think it’s worth spending more than $200 on shoes, but I’m cheap.

1 Like