What does Tiger’s Future look like?

After seeing his press conference today, I think he will never win on tour again. The reality of his injuries seems too much to overcome.

I’m hoping with his drive and course knowledge he can mount one more run at the Master’s. After that presser and all the articles I fired up the 2019 final round and all I want is just one more taste of Tiger in contention on Sunday at Augusta.

2 Likes

A couple things I’ve learned throughout history and about Tdub. History: I put Tdub in the category of very elite golfers. And I also believe that because of fitness and equipment elite golfers today can extend careers longer than they did back in the day. Look at Phil winning a major at 50 and he has major health problems too that are very rarely brought up. Anyways, Mr Hogan was crushed completely, then had to have experimental surgery to save his leg because of circulation problems from his accident. Both legs and a hip crushed. He came back in 12 months. Tdubs tibia in right leg was crushed and had to have rebuilt. I think fairly bad and it is taking a long time to develop stability and I’m sure he’s rehabbing properly. Mr Hogan was much younger when this happened and was a range rat more than he was a golfer his entire life. He built his practice and practice rounds around the tournaments he competed in which was 4 or 5 a year. When he started building clubs alot less and he hated putting…but he competed at a very high level for years until he was in his 40s. He never forgave himself for losing the 60 open. All said IF Tdub can get solid stability in that anchor leg he should be able to turn an build enough swing speed to get it out there far enough, he’s probably one of the best iron strikers ever in the game and one of the best putters of all time. If he wants to put in the range work, and practice rounds before his chosen tourneys to play which most likely will be Players, Masters, PGA US Open, and The Open I see no reason he can’t compete at a high level for a few more years. Alot of IFs in there, but I wouldn’t sell the guy short just yet.

2 Likes

Based on what I’ve heard and read of Tiger’s comments, he doesn’t seem to want to put in the effort he knows would be required to play at the very top level. He’s almost 10 months into rehab for his injuries, and he’s nowhere close to even playing a complete round of golf in a buggy. I know he’s shown the ability to come back from debilitating back problems, and I have no doubt that could come back from the leg injuries if he wants to. But I don’t believe he wants to, at least not right now. Maybe he’ll find additional motivation once he’s closer to full health, but it would be a significant change from what I see as his current attitude.

2 Likes

Bold statement about Tiger, LOL. If he isn’t very elite, who was? Second to Jack’s majors, but honestly, I don’t think anyone’s ever dominated professional golf like Tiger did in the '99-01 period. Byron, but everyone was off at war.

I have never seen anyone get in a group’s collective head and crush their spirits, the way I saw Tiger do it to the rest of his fields in that period. Maybe Jack was that way too, I dunno. It was like Larry Bird at the All-Star Game 3-point contest, “All right, who’s playing for second place?” Only Tiger did it for years.

Phil’s condition, AIUI, is treatable with some (hideously) expensive medicine. I have bad psoriasis, now psoriasis arthritis, too. With the monoclonal antibodies available, it’s extremely manageable. No doubt, he’s really improved his clubhead speed, and frankly, his focus, as he’s gotten older. It’s great to see.

Tiger’s, OTOH, if his leg is busted, at a certain point it’s not going to get any better. Nothing like Casey Martin, mind, but maybe enough that Tiger not only can’t be Tiger, he might not be able to meaningfully compete in majors. We’ll see. AIUI, Tiger was a range rat early too. His injury sounds bad enough that it might’ve taken all of his prodigious drive and will to even be able to walk again. Nevermind driving one’s body to strike a golf ball at a professional level.

I wish him well. Professional golf is better with him in it. Never met him, or Phil, now that I think about it.

1 Like

I just had to Google OTOH and AIUI. :laughing:

4 Likes

I just saw Tiger’s :tiger2: swing video on Twitter at the driving range at the Hero tournament.
I hereby reverse my opinion :man_shrugging:, his swing looks very good to the eye and a couple of teaching pros we have all heard of felt the same way.

I think he has a decent chance of winning on tour again. As a all-time great; I guess talent seems to be showing through. And the great golfers have shown they can compete at the highest level in around age 60. ( See Tom Watson at the British at age 59; Jack Nicklaus at the Masters at age 58 and Greg Norman at the British a couple years after Watson’s close loss, at I think :thinking: age 58 [ people really forget about that one].

1 Like

Gosh, how many majors would Norman have won, if the guy had even replacement-level PGA Pro course management skill? He did have the good humor to note in one of his books though, that he had the Saturday Grand Slam one year…

Anyway, that obviously was never Tiger’s problem. That’s great to hear that he might actually be able to compete again.

Greg Norman was a very good golfer. He’s a better wine maker. His swing had major flaws in it to hold up under major tournament pressure. Biggest being his right leg buckled in transition. That was pointed out to me by a teaching professional. We all know it one little twitch is a catastrophe. I’m very interested in the stability of tigers Lower right leg, how much ground pressure will he be able to apply. My gut says over 72 holes he’s gonna be one sore puppy, so if the weather is cold or damp that’s going to impact his game. The 2 men I know of whose swing looks the same today as it did when they were younger T Watson and Mr Player. It all has to do with fitness and flexibility. I forgot 2 more: Mr Hogan and Mr Snead. There’s incredible online video to watch. It remains to be seen what the plan Tdub has. I’m certain he’ll have one if that leg is stable. So we’ll see if he can get healthy and gain confidence in his body. He’s freaking a bionic wonder!

1 Like

Best line I’ve heard in a while….”at least I’m im not hearing it land”. …I got a feeling he’s putting in the work. He’s gonna try and do a Mr. Hogan.

1 Like

Well, well, well! This is gonna be the most watched event by golf fanatics. Guess who’s in the PNC? Should be funTDubs Twitter

Not likely. I like TW, but can’t compare him to Mr. Hogan.

For one, TW is too comfortable in his financial situation. Less hungry to get back, and less motivated. There is a difference, and often not noticed by the ones in the situation.
One is an unfortunate accident caused by someone else, one is a total self inflicted “accident”. Obviously, no one consulted him on handling success, and what comes with it. All the demand and expectations; can be overwhelming.
I certainly don’t hope TW’s glory days are behind him, but , the last major at the Masters in 2019 could be it.
Sliding down the field of Tour with players who are more hungry and with less hang up without injury or personal issue. TW will face an astronomically climb back to the top. Could be much harder than Mr. Hogan had faced during his return in 1953. Mr. Hogan had the fans behind him.
I’ll be expecting a miracle to see T.W. complete his comeback and the fans wish of climbing back to the top. Miracles did happen and could happen, again.
we can not compare the two totally different cases.

I thought TDub looked pretty good. Not ready for prime time yet, but pretty darn good. BTW, I would put Tiger up there in the Top 10 echelon of ball strikers ever. Mr Hogan was incredibly accurate, but still Top 10 is pretty strong, If Mr Hogan could have putted in the Top 40 of all time, he really would have been dangerous and that’s why Woods may have 1 or 2 more wins in him, if he can get in walking shape. Anyone can drive a cart, that’s why the senior tour is fun. Just one touch on equipment. I’m using “woods” that are 10 years old technology wise. There is maybe 3-5 yards in distance between them and the Maverick, G425, and Sim. My irons are 34 years old , there is no dicernable difference that I have been able to see with new ones. The only thing that has changed in my irons are grips and I am now on my 4th iteration of shaft. Difference is the ball. I would have really enjoyed being able to see What a Hogan could do with today’s ball. You could really bend a Balata, not so much with the new balls, BUT they definitely travel longer and spin way different

1 Like

Not many realized just how important the eye-sight is in relationship to how good one could putt.
Kind of difficult to putt well with partial vision in the left eye being a right handed golfer.
It’s what Hogan had after his near death accident. He never really talked about it but all those who were close to him knew that he lost almost all his vision with his left eye.
Think of determination to come back from that impairment ! Not only the physical damage to his body and eye sight, he also had to deal with the mental side of lining up a putt and execute the stroke.
Anyone with the so called “YIP” should try to blindsided one eye and try tp putt without eye sight from one side for awhile, maybe that’ll cure the yip they have.

Tiger :tiger2: prowling the ground at Augusta doesn’t change my mind he will never win on a big stage again.

Golf is really hard, with a bad back, knee, :foot: foot. And probably a couple other injuries Tiger is keeping to himself.

So they said about Ben Hogan ! That he would never walk again, let alone play competition golf.
It really depending on the individual and what they’re made of.
Although the background are not quite the same between Ben and T.W.
Ben had to fight for everything he achieved, from his childhood, to his smaller frame to the debilitating injury which almost killed him. T.W. worked hard at the game with a lot of love and care from his family. One is a self made and one is molded, that should not change the outcome if there is a strong will.
The obvious will be, decreased tournament showing, as T.W. will never hold a full schedule on Tour, ever again.
Hope he could appreciate more of what he has, now.

Here’s what I will say, who looks in better shape? Tiger or 1/2 the guys on the TOUR! He takes his health seriously. If he can put pressure on that right post leg… I would not count him out, the guy is just different than other athletes… and make no mistake he’s an athlete! Mr. Hogan had to deal with lower extremity circulation issues… That is/ was dangerous especially for a guy who smoked a pack and a half of Chesterfields a day! I’m NOT hearing of circulation issues, it’s whether or not the pins and posts in his bionic leg can hold up so he doesn’t get a spiral fracture from the torque on that leg. Pain… eh, I deal with pain…everyday. Not a big deal.

A pack and a half Chesterfield ? How about 2-3 packs as he chain smoked on the golf course. I used to smoke cigarette as Feherty joked at one time "people believed cigarete had vitamin in it ". Smoking was popular before the 90’s. Quit, cold turkey after my kids were born, still miss it sometimes but that’s far away now.
Hogan had circulation issue with his leg after Doctor took out the main vein in his left leg to prevent blood clots from that leg, to his lungs to save his life. On top he also had broken collar bone and broken ribs. Many did not know that he lost most of vision in his left eye. His injury was much worse than T.W.'s accumulated injury . Plus we’re comparing the medical care separated by more than half a century; care and recovery will be vastly different.
If, T.W. has the determination to come back to competition golf, he would and could. It’ll be on his shoulders to take on the tough journey since he is financially set for several life term. Motivation; is the main question. If he is motivated to come back to the boiler room, nothing could stop him.
He would never be dominating like he did in 2000, but he would be a major force on Tour and still the number one attraction to all the fans.
Maybe, like Hogane was moved and motivated by his fans, T.W. could draw strength from his fans, as the sole purpose to carry the flag for the sports.

I’m sorry, I just have to ask the naysayers above? Anyone doubt Mr. Woods’ desire and will? He does it to spite people who doubt him. I heard rumors months ago from my golf club connections… he was striping it. If he tees it up and only can play 18, that would be incredible. Augusta is a tough walk, I’ve been there. If the weather is crappy, it’s going to be a tough slog. Like I said, pain isn’t the issue. I’m weird, I enjoy it, it motivates me… I think he likes the pain. He won a US Open on a destroyed knee over like 90 holes. The question for him is this… can the healed fractures in that R ankle & tibia hold up to the torque of a downswing and follow thru for 25 or so mid-iron on up shots and not end up with a spiral fracture after any round? It’s going to be interesting and I wish him well! I think we are so fortunate to have lived in an age to see, the winding down of Hogan, Snead, Palmer and Player. See Jack, Tom, Lee, Ray, the Euros, Ernie, Phil, Tiger and now these new guys… Incredible!

Bones will heal within weeks for younger person. Solidify in 90-120 days. The issue will not be if the fractured spot will hold up, will be the muscle and nerve trauma suffered while going through the surgery to stabilize the bones.
Lots are predicting if he’s not able to stay in the hunt, an excuse using the injury to Withdraw could happen, again.
Then from those who walked the grounds of the Augusta National, there are some tough walking holes. But if Hogan with his injury and at a more advance age could hold up for 72 holes, so could T.W.