What ball are you playing?

Have you kept statistics, do you know if it really helps? If it helps your confidence, its a good choice, but I’ve read a few studies that suggest lines don’t help most players make more putts.

2 Likes

I’ve never been able to line up the ball when it had just a single line. Having the three lines helps me a lot. What I find really good though is lining up the three lines on the ball with the identical three lines on the putter.

I naturally have a straight back and through putting stroke and if I have the lines on both the putter and ball lined up can start the putt consistently on that line. Of course still need to have picked the correct line and get the speed right.

I haven’t played enough rounds to be able to give any meaningful stats.

3 Likes

So fun story, true story… I’m basically waiting to see if the Costco ball 1. actually gets released in quantities large enough to play them all season 2. is actually a decent ball… It probably won’t be built for my needs (I like low spin, low launch)… but a quality 4 piece urethan ball for $15 a dozen is hard to pass up…

I’ll probably order the maximum amount allowed whenever they come up for sale (max 5 boxes) and either be completely done buying golf balls for the year, or putting in a late order to Snell and returning 4 dozen boxes to my local store.

2 Likes

I really liked the original 4 piece Kirkland ball. The 3 piece was just ok and seemed shorter hitting to me. I’ve started the year playing the 3 piece though as I don’t want to use the good balls I have yet.

1 Like

yeah, I loaded up some of the 3 piece into the golf cart for times when I want to hit something decent but also not worry about losing it…

If the 4 piece ball is competitive with any of the top tier brands, I’ll likely play it all season… This assumes a number of things, but if all else fails, I can get 2 dozen Snell shipped here in a week.

I grabbed 2 dozen of the Maxfli Tour X. They were $55 shipped for 2 boxes and then I had a $10 Dick’s coupon so I thought that was a good deal. I like the Bridgestone better, but I found the Maxfli to be good enough for me. We’re trying to get our pro shop to carry more balls than just Titleist and Taylormade, but most everyone just seems to want Titleist. I have $400 in credit from last year and there is nothing in stock and not much available lol.

1 Like

I played the Maxfli for a bit last year… they are a perfectly fine premium golf ball… especially if you have a Dick’s coupon (which aren’t rare).

I have a hard time justifying the $45 a dozen for the major brands, but also don’t want to commit $120 to the buy three get 4 deal until I find try the Costco balls… It doesn’t REALLY matter, I don’t lose a ton of balls but if I can get a similar ball for a third of the cost it just makes sense…

I have no idea what I’d spend $400 of credit on… probably a driver shaft, honestly… not even sure if that’s an option… but I’d get a Ventus Blue and just call it a day (if I could)… or just buy my wife 8 quarter zips. She loves those things.

2 Likes

I bought my myself, my wife and my girls these really nice hoodies from our club that were $80 each, but I still have $400 left. I tried to order a TM putter, but I waited 3 months and then they said it was discontinued…although it’s back on their website? I have an Odyssey 7S putter I Iike, so I may order the Toulon version which is $450. I would order a high end shaft, but I was told they can’t do that. There are other things I could order, but most may not come in until June. It’s hard to find grips as the ship carrying tons of Golf Pride grips sank and Lamkin got overwhelmed with orders lol.

1 Like

I was unaware of the grip shortage! Fortunately, I’m mostly done tinkering (not really, but it’s a comforting lie).

That’s weird they can’t order you a shaft… I haven’t done men’s day events in a bit, so I haven’t had shop credit to burn… Hopefully this year I’ll find out what I can and can’t spend it on!

1 Like

Crabbers, that’s always a good investment. Planning ahead is important.

I get that it’s a money thing for many guys and we do go through a lot of balls over the season but the golf ball is the one thing I use on every shot - I am not compromising on the trust and quality of my golf ball - it’s Pro V1x’s for me until I can’t hit it over 200 yards and I have 1 foot in the grave.

On good days it gets used 67-68 times and on bad days it gets used 80 times. I use my putter 26-36 times and no other club gets used more than 12-14 times as round. Even my glove gets taken off for putting but the ball is there for every shot.

Getting fit and optimized and spending $500 on a driver every year or two and then another $200-$300 for a hybrid that you hit 4 times a round doesn’t make sense to me if you are playing a sub-standard, discount ball or simply one that doesn’t fit their game just to save $1-$2 a round.

Many people pay $30 a round to ride and don’t blink at an extra beer at the turn or off the cart but refuse to pay up for a ball that fits their game.

Everyone is different but that is one place I won’t sacrifice.

1 Like

Really? My experience is the opposite: I don’t have problems getting Pro-Vs to check up for me, but I have to allow for my Srixons to run out a little.

I’ve been a Srixon guy for a number of years, when they were the low-cost alternative to Pro-Vs. Like Southwest, though, they’re no longer the value they once were. I’ve still got 4-5 dozen that I’ll play before considering a change.

2 Likes

Only with my wedges. According to my Uneekor QED I spin both in the 9500-10000 range. My irons however spin significantly less with the Srixon.

1 Like

I’ve just got to get a launch monitor!!!

1 Like

First round with the Bridgestone and I like them… didn’t play well but they performed.

1 Like

So you’re saying it’s the marksman, not the ammo? :laughing:

1 Like

I hear you. Too many rounds where the ball performed but I didn’t. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

The Kirkland balls are some of the biggest balls produced. They barely pass the acceptable size requirements. Bigger ball = less distance. They’re also some of the worst in terms of consistency in regard to core placement (off-center cores) and cover thickness.

The originals before they got the pants sued off them were great. The newer ones, though very affordable, are very bad golf balls.

2 Likes

Im not sure I’d say they were bad… less than optimal for sure… but they are half the price of the nearest competitor and almost 1/4 the price of the premium balls…

I know the my golf spy stuff changed a ton of perception for people, but you’d think if there was a ton of difference in the balls, people would notice…

I had enough of a distance drop off to stop playing the kirklands but didn’t notice anything else major in the performance… maybe the ball quality was impacting my shots but I couldn’t tell… it’d be interesting if you could figure out a “shots gained” metric for golf balls…

I’m interested in the four piece ball, but went ahead and spent the $120 I didn’t want to spend on Bridgestone… they perform for me and I thought it was worth the extra $25 vs snell.

So we’ve gotten our driver swing speed up on course today to 94-98, average distance was 244-248. I’m pleased. Went back to ProV1 on second 9. Alot was me, my putting and wedge play not optimal, but 6/9 GIR and the ball flying off the driver and did perform as I remembered