What ball are you playing?

I was able to get 2 dozen Maxfli Tour X for $55 and then another $10 off so seemed like too good a deal to pass up. Still have a box of ProV1x and Z Star XV from last year so that should hold me for quite awhile.

1 Like

I play the Bridgestone Tour B RX. I am 70 and a 13 HC. For years I played the NXT Tour, the performance and price ($25) were spot on for me. When they discontinued that I went to the RX. I tried the e5 and e6 but prefer the RX. The RX gives me the best combo of distance off the tee, good iron play and around the green. They feel good off the putter. I played about 4 dz of Snell MTB, still have a bx unopened. Good all around ball just not as far as the RX. I also play the Vice Pro which is very close to the RX. I like it because not many people play it so … Price point on the RX and Vice are close but I don’t lose a lot of balls so $30-$34 per dozen is OK. I tried the old Callaway iS ball, but I found that the Callaways seem to have too much spin off the tee. Great around the greens tho. If you haven’t tried the Bridgestone, I recommend you buy a dozen and give it a go. Buying a sleeve really depends on whether your swing is having a good day or not. A dozen is a better evaluation whether the ball works for you.

1 Like

Nice!

Yeah, I hit a box of the Bridgestone last year (the b x for my swing) and really liked them…

I lose less balls as the season progresses, and now have a simulator to play on…

I’m not sure what I’ll do this season… if I miss the early season deals, I’ll probably just stick to snell.

Well I like ‘cheap’ performance gains and balls that work well for you can get that for you and add to confidence which is also important. How many times did you need that extra yard to clear a bunker? Or borderline distance whether to lay up or go for it? I like to go for it, mainly because it feels good when it works!! LOL.

1 Like

Plus the guys I play with are younger and hit the snot out of the ball and I like to stay in the same zip code. So any distance I can squeeze, I will take it.

1 Like

I’m with you… free distance from playing the right ball makes sense… I’m just cheap!

I swing pretty hard before hurting my back, but need around 307 in carry to break my least favorite par five at my home course… I’m slowly talking myself into some new Bridgestone.

I played Callaway’s, then moved to Bridgestone…then to Srixon last year. Based on this forum I’m trying out Snell’s this year. Honestly…I’ve never felt much difference…so I focus more on price point for similar quality/design. What is more important to me is just playing the same ball…not as much which it is. I’m a 12…so there’s that.

This year, I’ve also moved to a yellow ball vs white to try it out…my 46 yr old eyes aren’t what they used to be…

2 Likes

The Snells are a very straight flying golf ball. I hit lasers on a rope with them when striking the ball well, especially with the driver. That part I very much like.

I can get them to spin back if I need to with the wedges-mid irons and check with the mid-long irons. I have no issues with that kind of responsiveness and performance.

The biggest drawbacks, for my game, are responsiveness on and around the green AND distance. The distance part surprised me because I felt like I was hitting rockets with the driver last year, but my changing balls aligned with a new driver, so results I saw could very much be attributed to tuning in my swing and the new driver.

If you feel the MTBX and ProV1 you can feel a difference in firmness. It’s slight, but it’s there. I’ve found the Snells do not check around the greens the way I would like a ball to. They’re very much a bump and runners ball whereas the ProV1 can hop and stop much easier.

Distance-wise my results on Trackman shocked me a little. With the Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 6 iron I was fit into I was flying the 6 iron 221 with the ProV1. With the Snells I was flying it 203. That’s not a small difference.

With Driver I was carrying the ProV1 296 - total 323. With the Snell I was getting 282 carry, 306 total. Again, not a small difference.

The MTB-X is a really good ball and well worth the price, but competing like I do it’s not worth giving up that much distance and greenside performance for me.

3 Likes

Barry, I understand they make great gifts. I’ll email you our address… :wink:

2 Likes

That’s interesting. I tend to spin the ProV1 too much and lose distance compared to the MTBs. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’d love to hear more on the difference in your testing. I struggled looking for a ProV1x replacement last year and ended up loving snell MTBx which I haven’t noticed any significant differences between the two. Was it off the tee? iron? spin vs distance, etc?

1 Like

I tested gap wedge, 6 iron, and driver.

Spin numbers were pretty similar with the gap on swings at about 80% of full. Swing speed consistent. Ball speed higher with ProV1 and carry longer.

6 iron spin was about 300RPM lower on average with the Snell, but ball speed significantly higher, as well as carry much longer with ProV1.

Driver was a lot of the same as the 6 iron. Spin slightly lower with the Snell, but ball speed and carry greater with the ProV1.

The Snell, in my experience is a really good ball to control in the wind as it does keep spin down and allows you to control traj a little better. It may be one of those things where I still play them on really windy days, but the ProV1, for me, isn’t spinning at such a rate that it’s really necessary to abandon them on those days.

Again, the results I had that day were pretty shocking to me because after a full season playing with the Snells I didn’t feel like I had lost anything in performance. But 15 swings with each and the numbers came out what they did. I can’t really ignore that. Results likely not typical and I will probably do some additional testing. If/when I do I’ll put some more concrete data together.

2 Likes

I didn’t really notice a big difference either. I played Tour B X, TP5X, MTB-X and ProV1X last year. I felt like there were some differences, but nothing major. I’m not a big hitter though as my 6 iron maxes out around 180 carry and not 200 lol. The TP5X may have been longest off the tee, but seemed harder to check around the greens. My overall favorite was the Tour B X. I’ve always liked the ProV1X best, but I was bit disappointed as it didn’t seem noticeably better than anything else.

2 Likes

My used Pro V stash is getting pretty thin, but I’ll use whatever… Used a <-•Pro V1•-> from around 2009 in my last round and it was pretty solid tee to green. I haven’t purchased many balls and among the tour level balls, there isn’t a big enough difference in how they perform for me to justify sticking with one brand.

But I understand that playing a certain ball has some intrinsic value for some of you that provides confidence over a random found ball.

2 Likes

Found balls are no less consistent than my golf swing :wink:

5 Likes

I should say I don’t start rounds with found balls… once I’m in the trees a couple of times they make an appearance.

For rounds I’m playing “seriously” I want to play the same ball all day.

3 Likes

Super interesting. Thanks for sharing so much detail. I think the slightly lower spin plus I play in the wind frequently may be what is giving me a better perception of snell. I’ll have to take a fresh look.

There is an indoor range near my house that has a gcquad but it’s been basically closed for a year – i’m looking forward to having them open again. i’d love to get on one to see what my numbers look like and do some comparisons myself – hitting a ball for a few holes out on a course is not a great way to measure how good a ball is.

2 Likes

Yep, tournaments where the one ball rule is in play is about the only time for me

I am playing Srixon Q-Star Tour this season. They are a bit softer feeling which I like, but they still spin just as much as a Pro-V1 for me with my wedges.

3 Likes

I use the Callaway Chromesoft X Triple Track. Paired with a Triple Track putter it feels almost like cheating when lining up a putt.

2 Likes