Tips for playing the wind

This is a big one for me, playing most of my golf in windy Wyoming. I have a few ideas that I know work, some I’m still trying to figure out.

Biggest one is “in the breeze, swing with ease.” I always thought that was to ensure you make good contact and don’t try to kill it, which it is, but it’s also so you don’t overspin the ball. Take one extra club, and swing easy to keep the spin down so the wind will affect it less.

Also love this one: on crosswinds on the tee on par threes, tee it up so that you hit into the wind as much as possible, as opposed to with the wind, as that will affect your direction less. So for example wind blowing left to right. Tee up on right side of tee box and hit back into the wind. This will affect the direction of your ball less than if you tee up on left side of tee box and let the wind take it away.

That’s it for more. What are some of your best wind tips?

5 Likes

I use this same theory for playing in the rain. Otherwise, I feel like you grip the club too tight and try to over swing.

1 Like

I grew up in West Tx, and have always been a low ball flight, decent wind player. I heard the breezy easy advice alot for into the wind shots, but not sure I totally buy it. You do want less spin, and probably need an extra club or 2 depending on the wind, but still need a committed swing, and acceleration through the ball, so I prefer to keep ‘swing easy’ out of my brain. That doesn’t mean you should swing hard, but try to keep your normal tempo, even with a shorter backswing. Play the ball further back in your stance to keep the flight lower. Wedges will balloon more than everything else, so learn a knock down 3/4 swing w/ a lower loft and possibly gripped down. It will still stop quick. A straight ball won’t move much, but any fade or draw spin will be exaggerated so adjust your aim accordingly.

Downwind I’d rather hit the shortest club I can and get it up in the air for better chance to stop. For example, from 175, normal 7 iron distance, I’d rather go full 8 or hard 9 depending on strength of wind.

Crosswind really depends on direction and your default shot shape as to weather you should ride the wind or hold it up into the wind. I tend to ride the wind on left to right wind shots and hold it up if left to right, but there are instances where I’ll do the opposite.

2 Likes

My best tip for playing in the wind is to lower your expectations. Scores rise by a stroke for every 5 mph of wind. Consider it a challenge that makes golf special and enjoy the day.

2 Likes

I played a few rounds in Idaho this summer where the wind was consistently blowing… And I grew up playing in Texas.

Keeping the driver low into the wind is huge. I absolutely pounded a regular drive into the wind and it lost 60 yards… next day I played a bunt drive front the middle of my stance with a focus on keeping it low and it went past where I had been the day before.

Irons into the wind are going to mostly stop when they hit the ground, so playing longer irons makes sense… when I step on a swing the ball goes higher. My swing into the wind is focused on hitting the ball low and making crisp contact.

Cross wind is tough! It’s definitely better to play into the wind then try to let it carry your ball…

1 Like

I’ve grown up and lived in the wide open spaces of South Dakota and Nebraska my whole life. My game is crafted specifically for handling windy conditions. I play a super low spin driver that keeps the ball low. I’m a low-mid traj iron player and I prefer the low, spinny wedge shots to loft and release. So I get it.

The one thing I’ll say, if you don’t want to take the time to completely tailor your game to windy conditions, is absolutely 100% take that extra club, hit it 70-80% and try to control the trajectory as much as you can. Those low pop and stop shots are ideal for staying on the planet in the wind.

1 Like

I’m of the mind that golfers don’t need a “punch shot” - the difference in technique required is often too complicated to mix into a round and they’ll likely find more failure than success vs. swinging how they normally do. I don’t do anything too much differently in my swing playing in the wind, which is often.

Into the wind is usually the biggest issue for most players. You need left loft and less spin. You know what accomplishes those two things? Taking more club!!!

Don’t think it needs to be that complicated.

4 Likes

Here’s a tip - don’t play in the wind!

I really have hated it since I spin the ball a lot and hit it high. Haven’t had a windy day since I got my new driver (more because I haven’t gotten to play). Think the lower spin on my driver will make me happier playing in the wind since previously I could see the ball going backwards as it came down.

Seriously though - the best tip is to swing easy. It reduces spin for better control into the wind. Take half a club more and swing what feels like 80%

1 Like

I like to make the wind my friend (similar to your cross-wind theory). If it’s a left to right wind, I’ll aim left and let the wind make it fall right. Same for a right to left wind.

1 Like

I used to tee the ball pretty low with my driver, trying to hit a low shot. Then I learned that striking the ball low on the clubface typically causes more backspin, the exact opposite of the goal in the wind. So now I tee it up maybe a tiny bit lower than normal, try to make a normal solid swing, and just live with the loss of distance.
This is physics or something like it, a headwind will cause you to lose more yards than the identical tailwind will cause you to gain. So a two-club headwind might be only a one-club tailwind. Of course, that doesn’t take into account the changed descent angles and subsequent change in roll-out, but if you’re trying to carry a bunker or penalty area, carry distance is pretty critical.
My last tip is what @Wasa said, understand that difficulty is increased, so your expectations should also be a bit lower.

4 Likes

This is a great resource for playing in the wind from Andrew Rice, check it out

3 Likes

Good article, thanks Jon.

I love practicing straight into the wind. I think Hogan said he loved that, too. You have to hit it more solidly and it accentuates your spin so it teaches you which way you’re over spinning it and how to hit solid. Hogan also said never practice in a left to right wind, as it will teach you to swing over the top (as the article seems to indicate).

Hitting into the wind really separates the ball strikers!

Very helpful article! I made notes of his adjustment formulae, plus … now I know I need to practice more in a headwind…!

1 Like

I haven’t played in 3 weeks and looks like steady 15mph wind for me today! Should be GREAT!!

1 Like

You got this! May the forum force be with you!

:joy: that’s like a Tuesday around here

I’ll be out on a lake as well so nothing to block it, will feel stronger I’m sure :slight_smile:

Hoping I see the benefit of new driver with lower spin (if I can keep it out of the lake)

1 Like

20% of the total distance + 5 yards! Going to be windy this weekend but finally warm enough! What I lose on the headwind hole I hope to make back (partially) on the next hole coming back. Love a tailwind.

1 Like