The Ultimate Walking Bag?

So a few months ago I put up the review for the Vessel Player III bag on the main site:
https://practical-golf.com/vessel-player-iii-stand-bag-review-is-a-luxury-golf-bag-worth-it/
Great bag, but my only concern was that it might be a bit on the chunky side for golfers who walk daily (like I do).
Well, because Vessel is incredibly kind to me, I received a Vessel VLX a couple weeks ago. Basically a Vessel stand bag on a diet, cutting some of the size and weight without sacrificing the style.

Don’t want to come off as too much as a shill, but this really is the perfect golf bag (for me). Four-way top holds the full set with minimal rubbing/crowding (I play MCC +4s, so bigger but not oversized grips) and enough storage for everything I really need. I can walk/hike my incredibly hilly club with it with the same ease as a Sunday bag.
I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a walking bag and am happy to answer any questions here. Additionally, feel free to share if you think you have the ultimate walking bag.

5 Likes

I mean, it’s hard for me to justify replacing my ping hoofer 2… it’s now old enough to legally drink… it’s not as light as it could be, but man, it’s held up well. I’m definitely considering a vessel bag, but I don’t carry much at my home course.

2 Likes

Cory - do you know the weight offhand?

Also, fyi, I found a nice light carry bag … about 3 1/2 lbs, so not quite as superlight as a few others at about 2 1/2 lbs … from Inesis sold at decathlon.com (they also make decent golf balls for $30/dozen).

About 4.5 pounds I believe. Light considering the materials used and is really well balanced.

2 Likes

have you carried sun mountain 2.5 or ping hoofer lite?

2 Likes

Not walked with them, just checked them out in the shops. I feel like the straps and balance of the VLX make up for the extra pound or two.

2 Likes

Where do I find that brand/bag? And cost? I’ve got a trip to Bandon Dunes coming up at the end of April and need to get a carry bag.

1 Like

Also look at Jones carry bags - seem to be a popular item for Bandon trips - they’re great quality, very functional and nice styling!

1 Like

The new owners of the Jones sports are reviving the glory days of the Jones Golf Bags from the 70’s and the 80’s. Back then, they dominated 90% of the elite and college players market in the country.
I have a jones carrying bag which is still nice after all the time; through rain, sleet and baking Sun.
Don’t know of their new lines. but it certainly deserve a look for consideration.
Better quality bags will weight slightly more, however, what’s another LB. ? For decades of service ? By the time we empty the bag of the unnecessary stuff, it’s probably 3-5 LBs. minimum which we probably won’t need.
Like this one guy I know who kept all the “found” golf balls in his bag, probably 3-5 dozens. He seldom lose a golf ball these days so the number just accumulating.

2 Likes

I have a tentative order in for a new ping hoofer through my shop… they told me august!

I’ll check out Jones.

2 Likes

Possibly could get a Jones Bag sooner than August.
Don’t know where the Ping Hoofer bag is made ( most likely China). Jones is in Oregon, and I believe they used to make all their golf bags in Oregon, again, not certain of their new production location, if they changed the line of production or sourced their material from overseas.

2 Likes

I’ve used a prior generation Taylor Made Quiver bag the last few years and have looked at the current generation as well. Lightweight at 2.5 pounds, it is not designed to take 14 clubs–but I regularly fit 14 in there. It has short legs, which I didn’t think I’d like, but as a carry bag, I’ve learned to love. One of the issues I’ve had with regulation-length legs is that the legs sometimes catch my pants legs, almost causing a trip. The Taylor Made’s short legs keep the bag off wet grass and don’t interfere with my clothing.

One additional plus: last summer while stepping out of a bunker backwards, I stepped on one of the legs, bending it. Stupid of me to have left the bag so close to the edge of the bunker, but I noticed almost immediately that the bend didn’t render the bag useless. With the short legs, the bag didn’t become unstable because of the bend as it would have become with longer legs.

Minimal but decent storage–full length along one side, ball/tee pocket where you’d expect it, a small pocket down at the bottom for other items, and a mesh bottle holder. As I said, this isn’t the current generation, but I looked at one when I was in Orlando recently, and the changes didn’t appear drastic or negative. $119.99 without any discounts.

I’ll certainly consider the current generation as a replacement when the time comes as it’s proven a great bag for walking 18.

2 Likes

been really happy with sun mountain bags over last 10 years.

2 Likes

Costco has the Sun Mountain carry bag for $12?. Forgot to look at the model number but felt light weight, Color is Blue w red/white .

Costco.com has one for $129. Not sure about $12…

Was not sure of the last digit hence the ? Maybe I should have put an X .

You got all of us cheapskates excited for a sec!

1 Like

Maybe in the 19th century $12 could get you a canvas golf bag.
Have not seen any decent golf bag under a Benjamin Franklin for quite awhile now.

I got it; decent at 4 lbs, easy to carry, but I miss my Ogio at times.

Most if not all the golf bags are made overseas now. Only a couple of bag manufacturer are still operating in the lower 48.
The cost of shipping is out of sight recently. The shipping cost will add to the total cost plus the inflation caused labor and material increase.
This is not an unique issue we’re facing, obviously, it’s a global issue.

1 Like