The Evolution of a Middle-Aged Golfer

Yes!! Stay aggressive. We gotta put these dad bods to work on the course.

I can relate to a lot of what you wrote here. I had a college coach who was a theater teacher acting like a college golf coach. No, really. He was a theater teacher first and golf coach second. He did not know swing mechanics or strategy, but he acted like he did. Tried to change our swings every chance he got. It was hard fighting him constantly knowing I’m better off either sticking to what I do or seeking a 3rd party teacher (which I did).

As a semi-new dad, I only make it to the course once or twice a week if I’m lucky. We’re kicking the tires on a relocation to the south, so maybe that will change, but for now it’s my reality. It does help temper expectations, but my game is also exponentially better today than it ever was in high school or college. I think there’s a perfect balance between tempered expectations and not holding yourself back and I’m trying to find that. As well as I’ve played, I feel like there’s another level or two I can get to. That’s what I’m working for.

I guess that’s what we’re all working for.

3 Likes

Lol putting dad bods to work on the course.

Love this sentiment: “I think there’s a perfect balance between tempered expectations and not holding yourself back and I’m trying to find that.”

I have a friend who hates the Strokes Gained stuff when I bring it up on the course with him when he’s frustrated…he’s says “it’s better for my game if I’m pissed if I don’t make every six footer.”

I wonder what golf psychologists would say about this. Personally, I think I play better when I’m content to let the round unfold and not try to force anything. I certainly enjoy the game more!

6 Likes

It’s been years since I read the “little red golf book”—I was so psyched in high school when I got a free copy with my subscription to golf magazine. I’ll see if I can find a copy and check it out!

2 Likes

I re-read it every year. I got this one for Christmas a few years ago, has Little Red Book plus some other musings https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Harvey-Penick/dp/1501133373

2 Likes

Really enjoyed this article. I love to see the game evolving and the dialogue around it. As a 33 year old and former college athlete (not golf) I can relate to aging but still wanting to be competitive with myself.
Def going to send it more and keep my focus on having fun. Because this sport is really dang hard.

3 Likes

This!! I got really stuffy in my late teens and 20s because I was playing a lot of competitive golf and the game just got harder than it already was. It was work and a grind.

Once I sort of looked myself in the mirror and had a come to Jesus about my love for the game I realized I wasn’t having fun. So I took two years off competition and only played for fun. And guess what, my play got better. Scores dropped. Everything improved.

I got back into competition, but I start off every tournament telling my group, “Let’s have some fun.”

4 Likes

Loved the article @Ebs02 and recognised my own experiences in a lot of it (commented on the piece directly, too).

One thing I’d like to read up on now relates to your comments on ball launch conditions, which presupposes a certain amount of knowledge I don’t currently have. The Trackman side of the game is still a bit of an unknown to me, but would love to get on one and really pin down my yardages.

Specifically, it seems my current view on how to hit a draw (which I can do) or fade (which I can’t) is out of date, as I’m still attempting it the old-fashioned way…!

@jon Are there any articles on the site (or elsewhere) that go into this in further detail?

1 Like

Instructors like Andrew Rice and @Adamyounggolf are great resources to learn ball flight laws. Watch this video:

4 Likes

Wonderful - thank you :slight_smile:

Great video. Memorable explanation that the fade/draw (not to mention hook/slice) is created by the face RELATIVE to path, not independent of each other.

That is pure gold! Now if I can put it into play.

2 Likes

They’ve got to work together!

1 Like

Love this essay and I have sent the link to a several people already.

-golf IS hard-

Perfect thought to have when having a bad day on the course.

I grew up playing in the 90s, saw the Burner Bubble driver come out, the Big Bertha, and that seems to have changed a lot, the big heads, the technology, my coach says he tries to get him the kids he works with hitting driver 250-275 by freshman year. Technology with equipment and ball flight analysis.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this @jon and @Ebs02. Great read!

As a 42 year old, I’d like to believe 40 isn’t middle age though. :smirk:

3 Likes

It’s not as long as you plan to live until 130-140 like Bryson.

4 Likes

Yes it was really interesting, thanks again (was getting late here when you posted it @jon so didn’t have a chance to reply properly).

Very easy way to visualise it - and I’m relieved to discover I did have a handle on the relative physics of it. For whatever reason I find it much easier to crack with a draw than a fade (which tends to just hold straight), but I’ll have this video in mind next time I’m at the range.

1 Like

Understanding why the golf ball curves is important info. I know it’s helped in my game!

Wow love the article. Beautifully written. And the content - well it tells you everything you need to know about golf.

This August I played the first course I ever set foot on in the small town I grew up in Scotland with two old school mates. I now live near London and I hadn’t played this course for about 30 years. Oh my it was so lush. Bright green thick grass. Expertly manicured greens. Little dry stone walls lining streams and retaining banks. Lovely architectural touches everywhere and well maintained. The sun was out and with the sea providing the perfect backdrop to the course I was snapping away on my phone like a tourist. Absolute bliss. Growing up I always thought of the club as being up market. I found membership is about 60% of my course in the south of England! :weary:

5 Likes

Great shot! Glad you enjoyed the read I think @Ebs02 did a fantastic job

I think so much about path that I’ve never thought about how the path affects the club face.