Losing your Swing

I think it’s a feeling all golfers have experienced at some point or another. Hopefully it was just out on the range, or maybe out on the course but only lasted a hole or two. Worse is when it seems to show up for multiple rounds. It’s the feeling that you’ve completely lost your swing. One bad shot turns into two, two turn into ten, and you have no idea why it’s happening.
It has happened to me plenty of times. Usually, I’ll try to complete a mindfulness exercise, focus on my surroundings, my breathing, or really anything but golf. Take a few practice swings and maybe something resembling my swing will show back up.
So how about you? What do you do when the swing goes MIA but you still have a bunch of holes ahead of you?

1 Like

I have a “warm up” swing that’s just focused on delivering solid contact… it’s about a 50% swing.

I’ll hit that until I get my feel back.

4 Likes

I accept it. Then take a week or two off. My swing usually reappears.

1 Like

As a side note, I played with a guy last month who had completely lost it on the front nine, so on the back he went (almost) full Tin Cup and played every shot with his 5 iron. He didn’t break all his other clubs first though. Played relatively well that half.

2 Likes

I’ve absolutely had the feeling, sometimes mid round, of going to take my grip and getting the feeling that this is a completely foreign object even though I’ve held and swung a club literally millions of times.

Like you said, I try to focus on what I know to be true and stay positive. I know what I’m doing, I’ve done it before and I’ll do it again

2 Likes

Somewhat as a side note, but as I’ve improved my own knowledge of swing mechanics and practiced things like hitting off the toe and hosel, I find it much easier to recover my swing.

I’m a firm believer in knowing what a good swing “is” and I think the best way to know that is to practice bad swings.

2 Likes

I seem to lose mine a lot and if it’s bad I sort of resort to “bunting” it around. I stand a bit open and make a 3/4 punch type swing trying to hit it as straight as I can. Amazingly I lost my swing the 1st time I broke 80 and I shot 78 doing this…with horrible chipping and putting lol. Thanks to some lessons I’ve come to learn at least some of what’s going on when I lose my swing, but fixing it is still difficult.

4 Likes

I’ve really struggled with this to the point I almost gave up golf 2 years ago. Turns out I’m too analytical and I get paralysed by overthinking and using too much conscious brain. I can usually recover some kind of swing by thinking about something neutral and taking much less time over the ball. Worst case I have to close my eyes when I swing. Amazing how that works!

4 Likes

My iron swing has been MIA for a couple of months. Luckily, the rest of my game has gotten back into good order over the last couple of weeks so my scoring is about what I am accustomed to. Have been having a lot of pull hook issues with my irons. Going to try to widen my stance a bit tomorrow to see if that helps. No other corrections I have made have proved to be consistently effective.

1 Like

Gotta get your face queen inside your path king!

4 Likes