Tempo work--how to practice

Any consensus on the best ways to practice tempo, or add tempo to your current routines?

3 Likes

I have the capability on my s62, but haven’t found it particularly useful… I think tempo can have a ton of value but I’m not sure how to practice it!

Seems like a metronome is good, but to me it felt odd to try to time my swing with an external device.

1 Like

Tour Tempo is a paid app, but really worth it IMO.

4 Likes

Does that offer a training program? Or a “how to”? And are tools like the orange whip actually tempo tools?

1 Like

It has a guide and instruction videos built into the app, but the main thing is that is has audio tracks that you listen to while practicing, starting the backswing on the first sound, transition on the second, and impact on the third. There are a few different options based on your preferred pace, but all have the 3-to-1 backswing to impact ratio that’s thought to be ideal.

1 Like

He was on On The Mark a couple years ago. Good stuff.

1 Like

These two articles can help

5 Likes

I just remembered that my s62 will measure my tempo… I’ll have to work it into my routine when I’m doing winter drills…

I definitely think tempo is a good thing to pay attention to , but as your article states, ball flight is king.

My original thought was it’s weird to try to fit your swing into a forced tempo… but I think having something that shows you your tempo can be super helpful… the pulses on my watch just frustrated me… but I should use the ability to see my tempo to improve it!

1 Like

This is great support from everyone! BTW–does “Craigers” come from the chasing scratch podcast?

2 Likes

Just what I was looking for–thanks!

1 Like

I think Tour Tempo can help as well. It allows you to react to the tones which can help some of us. I think it’s like other training aids though where you don’t want to hit too many balls at once using it or you’ll rely on it. I was told by a pro that you should hit 5-6 balls with a training aid and then 5-6 without and so on.

2 Likes

Yes, I got here through them (via Adam who was on a podcast with Jon, who I followed on Twitter, who started this forum). It was all so I’d get a “Kudos to you, Craigers” (which I did!)

1 Like

Awesome! I die laughing listening to the Scratch guys. Singing “My Swing is Broken” to the tune of hallelujah had me literally fall off of a rower when I was working out. I found Adam Young through the Golf Science Lab, liked his stuff a lot, and picked Practical Golf and Jon Sherman from there. Chasing Scratch was purely coincidental–then Adam Young appears there.

5 Likes

One of my favorite features of the watch. A lot of times I’ll turn that feature on when I’m warming up on the range before a round to see what I’m working with that day. Over the last few years I’ve gone from around a 3.5:1 or 3.7:1 ratio to almost perfect 3:1 now (my backswing has quickened) and the results in ball striking have been pretty dramatic.

As I state in the article, 3:1 is not magic for everyone, but there are a lot of players out there with slowwww back swings who could use some help from tempo beats.

2 Likes

Game changer…thanks for both article links!

2 Likes

You’re welcome. The first article is years old at this point but I still think it’s one of the most important articles I’ve done.

1 Like

Now if only someone would gift me an s62. I think I’m going to just be counting in my head until then. I used to that with weight training anyway. Great stuff to work on!

1 Like

The s60 also has that feature which is a little less expensive. I was really disappointed that the s40 didn’t have it!

I was fortunate to be able to get one at a discount (friend of a friend is a Garmin employee) but it’s on my wrist constantly and super helpful on the golf course… probably one of the best golf investments I’ve made (and I forget things like the tempo feature).

Just a quick and easy way to keep track of my round and actual put data against what I “think” happened… also great for just the GPS, especially as I move to a “center of the green” strategy… it inherently gives me more actionable information.

2 Likes

I’ll begin hunting for a deal!

2 Likes