AimPoint Express Putting

100% with you on that. I don’t understand it either, but they seem to manage it. I think they picture the line on the ground that the ball will track. Then the highest point of that line is the apex and that’s what they’d say the line is. They still see the line in their minds though so that would incorporate where they actually need to start it to hit the apex point.

1 Like

You just gave me a great idea for the practice green! My feet don’t really have a feel for the degree of slope. Will try to find a time when nobody else is on the practice green, LOL. When it opens again.

1 Like

Yes, try it out - one of the underlying ideas of your eyes can get fooled and “see” the wrong slope but your feet … by feeling whether your weight is leaning left/right or front/back may give you more/better info.

I’ve looked at AP many times over the last 3 years and never really pulled the trigger. I think this thread pushed me over the edge though. I’m going to get the DVD for this winter and perhaps take a clinic nearby this summer. If this can save me 1-3 strokes on putting, that would HUGE!

3 Likes

It’s well worth it, which I’ve said many times on here. There are few “systems” in golf I would ever tell most people to subscribe to, but this is one of them. I wouldn’t guarantee that everyone would save strokes with AimPoint, but if you really learn it properly (clinic is best), and commit to using it, you’re stacking big odds in your favor that your putting will improve over time.

4 Likes

Same. Head coach at my club is AP certified. I asked her protege about it 2-3 years ago - he says something like it’s too technical, too much to think about, you need to be more intuitive. So I went with that (being more intuitive). Putting has improved massively this past 12 months primarily through practice, analysis and concluding that commitment through the stroke was my main issue.

Reading this whole thread for the first time has convinced me AP is worth a look (In the same way the Tempo thread convinced me to buy Tour Tempo tones - which is working out really well!).
Also I’m fairly sure it was David Mackenzie who says in his putting programme something about correlation between Apex / creative vs Line / analytical minded people. So as I am highly analytical then AP MUST work for me :wink:

I’ll add AP to my development list. Can only take on so much at once.

3 Likes

Not sure its utility is only for analytical types … tho I also consider myself one … but for anyone it can give you another tool on the green to help give you more confidence that you’ve chosen a good line. Now just get the speed right and kaboom :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve heard this before, and I couldn’t disagree more. The problem is that most golfers’ “intuition” when it comes to green reading is horribly wrong. It’s not something that is usually ever taught. If anything, AP has made me think about a lot less when I read greens. I literally step up to the slope, feel it, and I’m done within 10-15 seconds. In the past, I might spend way more time than that hemming and hawing over what I think I may, or may not see.

But you do have to take some time to learn it, practice it, and then trust it. So I don’t recommend diving in until you have some time to devote to the project.

5 Likes

Yes! ^That^ is really the key point! Take the reading and go with it.

Walk around behind the hole? Maybe you’ll “see” something different and change your mind / your read.

Walk around to the low side and look again? Maybe you’ll “see” something different and change your mind / your read.

Hmm.

2 Likes

A couple of the other guys have said this too, AimPoint has helped me to commit to a specific line. I’ll get a couple of “measurements” depending on the distance tot he hole, determine a number, use my fingers to define my start line, and I’m ready. There’s no question that there are a number of potential adjustments, for multi-breaking putts, for uphill and downhill, but these are probably less complicated than the process I went through before AP on those same putts.
I’m interested in one thing, though. You mentioned that the top instructor at your club is an AimPoint instructor, but you took the advice of a subordinate to avoid AimPoint. Can I ask why?

2 Likes

All I can say is, this thread has been a learning experience in many ways. Always take more than one point of view before accepting/dismissing an idea!

Another reminder why @jon‘s forum is a great resource and community :smile:

4 Likes

A lot of information here (and I confess I didn’t read it all). I took an AimPoint class about 4-5 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Now I have a routine and a system. Determining the slope of the green, its severity and applying it (1, 2, fingers in break), has helped me immensely.

6 Likes

Took an AimPoint Express class a couple days ago. It was eye opening and I think it will be VERY valuable for my game. Couple more weeks before giving it a first run in AZ.

5 Likes

Aimpoint is awesome. I traveled to SoCal from Utah to work with a teacher and a year later, right before Covid really hit last March I took an advanced class with him in Vegas. It is really helpful, especially for most non-pros who just don’t have the practice time to grind like Bryson. Combine it with the clock system and if you can get your speed right, you will put a lot better most days.

3 Likes

Do you know the name of the coach? Does he live in Vegas? The AimPoint page never has any classes in Vegas.

2 Likes

Sean Lanyi. Based out of Washington, but goes to Monarch Beach in SoCal and then Red Rock in Vegas. Great guy and will probably look at your fundamentals as well while you’re doing some of the stuff. Seanlanyigolf.com and you can see his stuff on Instagram as well. If you look him up tell him I sent ya. You’ll have fun and learn.

3 Likes

Another reason the teacher may have said that, is that he/she may have taken it early in the development. Not sure when Jon took his, but there was a lot involved if you just look at old videos of someone teaching it. Now, after refining it through the years, they call it Aimpoint Express. Much less technical with the aids they use in teaching you on the particular day. I took a beginners class and a year later an advanced session.

3 Likes

I learned AimPoint Express. I really think I could teach someone how to use it within 10 minutes, and they’d get around 70-80% of the benefit. It’s that simple IMO.

5 Likes

FWIW, the dvd version of it is pretty good at explaining the basics. I’d love to go through the course to get the feedback on how to judge grades, etc, but after watching the video, you get the basic framework of how and what people are doing.

1 Like

I just watched the DVD and have one question - when making the read, do you use both eyes or close one and only use your dominant eye?