Swing Path - I'm still learning

I know a recognized instructor who says that any mechanical change should be done only as fast as you can successfully make the change. That means start slow, sometimes REALLY slow. Increase speed until you’re not successful, then back off for more practice. With time, you’ll be able to increase speed while maintaining the mechanical change.
As I understand it, this theory of learning applies to almost any mechanical activity. A clear case is learning a musical instrument, or even a new tune. Learn to play it slow speed, successfully, then increase the speed until you start to make mistakes. Slow it back down, practice, and increase speed again. It may take some work, but eventually you’ll be able to go full speed.

3 Likes

Oh man, this is solid advice… might need to take this to the simulator this offseason and try to get my path a little more zero-ed out… I’m not chasing a neutral path, but I have a tendency to get way out to in, so developing a more neutral path in slow motion might help this out.

We will see.

This will be my first full off season where I’m not injured and have access to a simulator.

1 Like

What will also help is to identify what causes your out-to-in path, whether its a rotational stall, or an over-the-top move, or any of a number of other potential causes. The path is a result, a symptom, its not a cause. You’ll want to identify the cause first, and work to change that. And in many cases, understanding what the change SHOULD look like on video is likely to be a better tool than a simulator, which only measures the effect.

3 Likes

My path issues are mostly due to my lack of shoulder mobility… I’m working on it!