SuperSpeed Training Sticks

Local course here is putting on a 6week course with a trainer doing warmup then protocol. Results are great so far.

1 Like

First time using PRGR with my Super Speed to get some real numbers:

Maxed out at 121mph with the green stick, 119 with blue (seems like I should have been faster with Green with that blue reading), and 111 with red.

Need to get to range to get a ā€œbaselineā€ driver swing with ball, hopefully can find a few minutes this weekend to try it out and get some comparisons.

1 Like

Ok maybe the last readings were a bit off using PRGR. Tried a new set up @jon recommendation.

Last time I had PRGR directly behind line (as if I was hitting a ball), this time I had it perpendicular and slightly behind where a ball would be on a 45* angle to swing (if ball was at 12 oā€™clock, had PRGR at 11 and 6 inches away from where ball would be).

Definitely lower readings this time across the board - max green was 117 instead of 121. I also put it down the line again today after the 117 swing and got a 120 reading.

Jon - wondering what impact this has when actually hitting the ball and you have the monitor down the path to get ball flight instead of in this position just for club head speed. 4mph would be a big difference in carry with a ball. Does it read club head speed down the line better when thereā€™s a ball?

From testing, Iā€™ve done and SuperSpeed, this is the best position if you want to get the most accurate swing speed readings with the driver, or recreating setup with SS sticks. When youā€™re hitting a ball down the line, itā€™s also going to take into account your ball speed so that will play a factor.

I couldnā€™t get a reading doing it like that with the SS sticks - wouldnā€™t register. If I had it in front of ball and twisted it to 45* facing ball, it would register some odd numbers and think I hit a ball (gave me about 10MPH more ball speed than club speed!). If you were a lefty that was my setup but with PRGR on a 45* angle toward the ball. Readings seemed pretty consistent (all slightly lower than what I had my first time down the line) and all reasonable, though occaisionally it came in with a random 70mph so had to take that swing over again.

some people need to adjust so that makes sense (Iā€™ve heard stacking it higher helps).

Either way, I wouldnā€™t obsess too much over the absolute # - use your progress each week as a benchmark. If the number is going up with the same setup, then you know youā€™re on the right track!

1 Like

I put mine on top an old empty box of balls, facing me, four feet away.

1 Like

Ok Iā€™ve been considering the Super Speed Golf product for a while and am finally ready to pull the trigger as my golf season starts in about 12 weeks (perfect time to build up some speed for the new season) but I was wondering how long are the clubs/sticks ? I donā€™t want to have to change/restrict my swing in the basement while using them.

I canā€™t seem to find that information on size/length anywhere. Is it comparable to a driver in length ? or more like a 3W or 3H ?

2 Likes

I have the red one - won from this wonderful forum! I think it is actually 47"ā€¦definitely longer than my driverā€¦I get to swing it standing in the snow in the back yard :).

3 Likes

I have two questions for people that have been using the Superspeed Sticks.

1. Many of you have indicated improved speed with the sticks and with the driver. But what are the experiences out on the course playing an actual round. Are drives going further? Any loss of accuracy? Are irons going further? Have scores improved?

2. Iā€™ve got an OK swing, until it comes to the driver. I donā€™t know what it is with the driver but I just canā€™t hit one - I snatch from the top, sequence is all out, come down over the top and too step. Iā€™ve had to work very hard on my driver swing to get something usable. So, for someone like my who is quick from the top and has sequence issues, how will Superspeed stick work for me? Will the concertation on speed and swinging as fast as possible stuff up my already poor timing or will it help improve my sequencing etc?

1 Like

I can answer your first one but Iā€™ll leave your second one to someone smarter than me.

My drives are already going noticeably further after a couple of weeks BUT I am blowing them all over the place. My predominant miss currently is a huge block right. My irons and hybrids havenā€™t been too bad but I canā€™t definitively say if they arenā€™t worse/better.

I would be extremely worried about this if I hadnā€™t read of other people having similar experiences, so Iā€™m expecting this to moderate over the next month or so.

2 Likes

The thing Iā€™ll say about them (and Iā€™ve been using for a year) ā€¦ and Iā€™m not sure if the super speed guys would agree or not ā€¦ is that after using them, donā€™t TRY to swing harder on the course. Just swing. Your swing should be faster but not because you feel like youā€™re giving it everything in the tank. Yes, if youā€™re on the range and try to go after it you probably will hit it even further - but if thatā€™s not normal for you, donā€™t do it right away.

When I first started, I went to the range and was swinging out of my shoes. It was going further and pretty straight, but then I couldnā€™t translate it to the course. On the course with a ā€œnormalā€ swing it was still going farther.

The level of effort can certainly be racheted up over time as you get more speed and control over it.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been doing Super Speed for 8 weeks and I hit balls today, and Iā€™ve only seen modest gains in my overall distance. I havenā€™t been using a swing speed radar because frankly I spend so much money on golf that I donā€™t really want to drop another $200 on golf stuff. I was hopeful to make the gains without it, but it seems like it isnā€™t working as well or as fast as Iā€™d like.

Does anyone know of lower cost options or have any suggestions?

Do you know what your swing speed was before? If so Iā€™d try to get on some kind of launch monitor or swing speed monitor just to see if itā€™s up or not. If it is but youā€™re not gaining distance, it could be the club isnā€™t well fit for you. I saw some distance gains, but on good swing. My mediocre swings were about the same distance as before even though I was swinging faster because it accentuated side/backspin on the ball costing me distance (I am a pretty high spin player and the driver wasnā€™t a good fit anymore, so it was spinnier than normal). Definitely saw the increase when I was fit for a driver which brought down the spin.

1 Like

I was hitting on a GCQuad today but for whatever reason it wasnā€™t doing clubhead speed. Anecdotally I was in the mid 90s when I started this.

My spin numbers were really good. Possibly too low in occasion.

Only other thing to remember is, depending on your location, cold weather/cold balls/extra layers will hamper distance this time of year so if youā€™re hitting it just a little longer now than you were 8 weeks ago, you could still have more gains than youā€™re realizing.

2 Likes

Sounds like youā€™re in the plateau phase which is totally normal (and frustrating). The gains seem to come sporadically over time, and while I think there are some general trends they see, it depends on the golfer. The lowest cost swing speed radar is the sports sensor
one, itā€™s on Amazon for around $120-$130

Also I wouldnā€™t use one session as a measuring stick of your success (or failure). The only way to really know if youā€™re seeing gains is by using a radar. There are certain days/times where you wonā€™t swing as fast, but when you track over time youā€™ll see trends.

2 Likes

Thanks Jon. It probably didnā€™t help that I had to shovel snow this morning either. But I was really expecting to crack 150 ball speed today so it was disappointing when I didnā€™t.

Thanks for the advice on the radar.

1 Like

That definitely can have an effect. Iā€™ve had days where Iā€™ve been more tired and Iā€™ll lose 3-5 mph in swing speed

1 Like

I definitely notice an effect whether I do a work-out before or after the session, always a bit faster if Iā€™m not fatigued. And instead of rushing between sets I noticed taking a minute and hitting 5-10 putts on the Perfect Putt gives a reasonable break to ensure max intensity on the next set.

The rest of my game is struggling a bit while I focus on speed, but once I get to my target speed Iā€™ll be able to focus on getting everything else dialed back in.

2 Likes