SuperSpeed Training Sticks

Sounds like you’re in the plateau phase which is totally normal (and frustrating). The gains seem to come sporadically over time, and while I think there are some general trends they see, it depends on the golfer. The lowest cost swing speed radar is the sports sensor
one, it’s on Amazon for around $120-$130

Also I wouldn’t use one session as a measuring stick of your success (or failure). The only way to really know if you’re seeing gains is by using a radar. There are certain days/times where you won’t swing as fast, but when you track over time you’ll see trends.

2 Likes

Thanks Jon. It probably didn’t help that I had to shovel snow this morning either. But I was really expecting to crack 150 ball speed today so it was disappointing when I didn’t.

Thanks for the advice on the radar.

1 Like

That definitely can have an effect. I’ve had days where I’ve been more tired and I’ll lose 3-5 mph in swing speed

1 Like

I definitely notice an effect whether I do a work-out before or after the session, always a bit faster if I’m not fatigued. And instead of rushing between sets I noticed taking a minute and hitting 5-10 putts on the Perfect Putt gives a reasonable break to ensure max intensity on the next set.

The rest of my game is struggling a bit while I focus on speed, but once I get to my target speed I’ll be able to focus on getting everything else dialed back in.

2 Likes

After hitting balls on Friday and not being able to find the middle of the face for most of the session, I found myself being more cautious with the Speed Sticks. Trying to make sure I am swinging hard while not losing significant form.

I’m not in a great place right now with the speed sticks in full disclosure.

2 Likes

Quick question here:

While using the speed stick training do you guys trying and stay with a 3:1 tempo?

I have my set and realize I may be swinging at a quicker tempo, which for me, instills a bad habit transfer to the course. Tempo is my major struggling point and I never really thought about the correlation until this weekend.

Everything I’ve ever read from the super speed guys says to just swing as hard as possible.

I think if you are trying to get 10mph faster while also expecting your on course performance to not deteriorate temporarily then you might be in for a bit of a shock.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I remember hearing and reading too, and what I’ve been doing. Just wondering what any other users were doing. Swinging as hard as possible without care of tempo, or at hard as possible on tempo.

2 Likes

Mike Carrol talks about speeding up your back swing as part of increasing your swing speed… I’m not sure you have to focus on tempo, but I’d look at how fast you are taking back the club.

If you want to keep tempo AND swing faster, your backswing will also have to be faster… it also helps create more 'whip" tension in the club head as you are pulling the handle through before the head has stopped moving backwards.

1 Like

This is where some experimentation and having a radar comes in handy (cc: @Golfer_Jake_78) . The goal is to swing as fast as possible. That is not the same as swinging as hard as possible.

I noticed that there is a peak violence to my swing that makes me fast, but if I backswing too fast I over-extend and get out of position and off balance which causes me to lose speed though it is more effortful.

2 Likes

This is the off-season. Focus on speed for another month or 2 then dial it back in. Don’t worry about the bumps in the road.

1 Like

So I think the key point here is that I’ve figured out I was generating (or at least feeling like I was generating) speed via swaying off the ball and getting all out of whack. I’m trying to stay more “over the ball” which results in feeling slower. Though if I had a radar I bet I’d be the same speed.

But my confidence is currently cratered because I’m a mental weakling.

3 Likes

This is what I’m trying to figure out as well. There seems to be a line in the sand where extra effort starts translating to poorer mechanics, and the extra swing speed is negated by poor impact conditions.

Speaking of which, the 47” driver showed up today :rocket:

5 Likes

I acknowledge that I was an idiot for not getting a speed radar.

How do you and @golfingbrock discern when you’re sacrificing mechanics for the sake of speed? Do you have to?

2 Likes

Having the numbers really helps. When I took the PRGR to the course my good swings were consistently around 116-117. I got to 119 a couple times but the strike wasn’t as clean and ball speed was similar to that of my 111 fairway finder swing but without the control.

I was also surprised that my swings with ball were as fast if not faster than my hard swings without the ball.

1 Like

Yes, I think the feedback helps a lot. For me, the line in the sand is when my impact and face control start suffering. If I start missing the center of the face significantly and/or I’m starting to lose control of where the face is pointing at impact (big push or pull), then I know I’ve “crossed the line”

What I’ve found interesting is that I’m really not capable of adding significant speed with crazy swings. If I try and do one of those long drive/all-out swings, it really only adds a few mph, and usually, the impact stinks. So I really try to think about two kinds of speeds for me, my normal “cruising speed” and then “let’s give it a rip.” The “ludicrous speed” swing just doesn’t work for me!

3 Likes

Thanks guys (@golfingbrock) that helps!

1 Like

I really hope this was a Spaceballs reference!

4 Likes

how can it not be???

3 Likes

Phew! Glad it wasn’t just a coincidence.

When will then be now?

2 Likes