Post Round Recovery

Thinking of some non-traditional equipment discussions, I’m curious if anyone has any equipment/devices they use for recovery? This goes with golf and general fitness.

I have a TENS device, essentially an electric pulse muscle stimulator, that I’ll use when I feel like I’ve been swinging a bit to much (usually soreness in upper back/shoulders). Might just be a placebo effect, but seems to help me.
I also just got a massage gun and initial reaction is that it’s a super useful little device. So any particular methods or devices work for you to keep you feeling good the day after a round?

Do transfusions count?

3 Likes

I have a TENS unit, as well and I use the heck out of it. My right shoulder is torn to shreds (tears in my bicep, labrum, and rotator cuff) and I deal with pretty bad sciatica down my right side.

I use a foam roller like it’s my job along with tennis balls and double lacrosse balls for my back, hips, and hamstrings. Also use a set of bands (the thick rubber ones) to stretch out the shoulder.

1 Like

I like this topic. I don’t have any particular routines other than taking anti-inflammatory meds. But my lower back is constantly sore from golf. I don’t have pain, just a permanent soreness. Any remedy ideas will be most appreciated.

1 Like

I have an older device, but this is a TENS unit from a Chinese health and wellness company that I have gotten other good stuff from at a really good price:
RENPHO TENS Unit Touchscreen for Home Use, 24 Modes Dual Channel TENS Machine Rechargeable with 8pcs Electrode Pads, Portable Muscle Stimulator for Back and Muscles Pain Relief Device https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07STZHD2X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_28tCFbZKQP2WJ

They do take some getting used to and the studies on them are mixed, but I do believe it helps me.

Judging by the tour pros, I believe post-round recovery is supposed to consist of hitting golf balls well past dark.

Jokes aside, my strategy is very simple - continue to hydrate throughout the day and get a restful night’s sleep.

1 Like

I got a TENS after my first microdiscectomy in 14 and use it before I play along with a Theragun. TENS is a great tool. Post, I’ll do this release series along with cold compression if needed. Post recovery is vital, especially if you’re playing consecutive days.

It’s amazing how many experts who aren’t into health gimmicks all say the same thing about recovery - sleep 8 hours and drink water!

3 Likes

Jon,

It’s amazing how often it comes down to the basics (and getting them right), whether its golf or any other activity.

1 Like

Indeed - which is why it’s not a surprise when you hear about all-time greats in any sport who obsessed over basic fundamentals that many others overlooked as being to “simple”

1 Like

Post round recovery for me is some whiskey and a dip in my hot tub!!

1 Like

I too love a dip in the hot tub (probably with a beer though!)

3 Likes

My usual recovery plan is beer and lies on the back deck, followed by a short nap as my wife drives us home.

2 Likes

Just be wary with the massage guns! They can be effective in short bursts but do harm if used too long… much like anything!

Hydration and sleep are always good for recovery… I think hydration might be one of the most overlooked things in overall well being… I stopped drinking alcohol at the beginning of the year, and moved to water… It definitely has a net positive impact that was more than just not drinking.

1 Like

Only had it for a bit, but I never use it for more than a minute or so at a time within a particular area.

I find beer is a really good tool that helps me get over a bad round. It is also much more effective than paracetamol if you have any aches or pains.

4 Likes

I love a good beer or a glass of scotch but after starting to track my sleep, alcohol, especially as you get older, really messes with your sleep and recovery. If I have a beer after a round in the afternoon, all is well, but if I have some wine with dinner or a night cap, my sleep is greatly affected.

3 Likes

I was thinking a nice Guinness but I think our recoveries fall under the same philosophy

1 Like

I used to have a similar problem, could hardly get out the car when I got home. I have done a lot of gym work, lots of squats to help mobility in the hips and get power from the back. Also introduced a fair amount of stretching before I head off to play. I have also improved my posture when playing with a more neutral upright back position rather then my previous ‘Mr Burns’ hunch and my back is fine now. Another tip I heard is to step after the shot rather than remain too long in the finish position and doing so deloads the lower back. Hope that helps?

1 Like

I’ve started going hard on core workouts to help my back… I’ve started incorporating hip flexibility stuff as well… goal is to build some flexibility so my golf swing doesn’t tighten me up as much.

1 Like